Tags:   

Win, Lose and the Draw

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by pianopuffer
  • Latest reply from mawnansmiff
  1. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Do pipers notice a difference between a 6mm and a 9mm filter when drawing on the smoke?
    I only have one pipe in my collection that has a 6mm filter (which I removed prior to smoking) but it seems like it's harder to get a draw from than my other non filter pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I vary the draw by how tight I pack my tobacco and subsequent tamps. So, filter or not, large or small airway, it makes no diff to me.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a little mystified by the original post. I have a number of 6 mm pipes I smoke with adaptors, and the draw is quite open. I have some non-filter pipes that have narrow draw, French made pipes but not all French pipes. But I'm just not bothered by restricted draw on 6 mm filter pipes without filters. Nor MM cobs or Dr. Grabows with adaptors. Is there a particular brand of pipe you associate with this problem? Do you use adaptors? I would expect them to close the draw somewhat, but mine don't. A little more detail on brands, series, maybe shapes might suggest what the problem might be. I'm puzzled.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Ah, sorry for being vague. The pipe in question is a small Savinelli poker (St Nick edition). It's the only pipe I own which seems to require much more draw to burn the tobacco. It draws like a pipe that's been stuffed too full of tobacco even when it's empty. Other pipes I have, bent or straight, do not seem to have this problem.

I have thoroughly inspected both the stem and shank but do not see any obvious obstructions or malformations to my noob eyes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would suggest taking a 4mm drill bit to enlarge the draught hole. I've done this to many pipes with nothing but successful results.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. pianopuffer

pianopuffer

Login to Send PM

Jay - that's a great idea. I think this might be the answer I'm looking for. A quick google search suggests to NOT use a powered drill, but rather a hand turned one along with a 5/32 or 4mm bit slow and steady. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I always use a powered (cordless) drill but one with variable speed and an automatic brake. Just drill very slowly withdrawing the bit now and then to clear the flutes.

Regards,

Jay.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ray47, supdog, alaskanpiper, railman, oldgeezersmoker, donjgiles, cachimbero, ben88, olkofri, generalzod, brian64