PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Do pipers notice a difference between a 6mm and a 9mm filter when drawing on the smoke?

I only have one pipe in my collection that has a 6mm filter (which I removed prior to smoking) but it seems like it's harder to get a draw from than my other non filter pipes.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I vary the draw by how tight I pack my tobacco and subsequent tamps. So, filter or not, large or small airway, it makes no diff to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a little mystified by the original post. I have a number of 6 mm pipes I smoke with adaptors, and the draw is quite open. I have some non-filter pipes that have narrow draw, French made pipes but not all French pipes. But I'm just not bothered by restricted draw on 6 mm filter pipes without filters. Nor MM cobs or Dr. Grabows with adaptors. Is there a particular brand of pipe you associate with this problem? Do you use adaptors? I would expect them to close the draw somewhat, but mine don't. A little more detail on brands, series, maybe shapes might suggest what the problem might be. I'm puzzled.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Ah, sorry for being vague. The pipe in question is a small Savinelli poker (St Nick edition). It's the only pipe I own which seems to require much more draw to burn the tobacco. It draws like a pipe that's been stuffed too full of tobacco even when it's empty. Other pipes I have, bent or straight, do not seem to have this problem.
I have thoroughly inspected both the stem and shank but do not see any obvious obstructions or malformations to my noob eyes.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Jay - that's a great idea. I think this might be the answer I'm looking for. A quick google search suggests to NOT use a powered drill, but rather a hand turned one along with a 5/32 or 4mm bit slow and steady. Thanks!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I always use a powered (cordless) drill but one with variable speed and an automatic brake. Just drill very slowly withdrawing the bit now and then to clear the flutes.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.