PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I want to try a system pipe. I have a Yello Bole with a 4 digit number, huge bowl, hardley smoked with a C after the 4 digits which I think means it was a chesterfield type pipe. The only problems is the last inch or so of the mouth end of the stem is broken off. I will just cut a new button onto it, not a huge deal. Will this be representitive generally of how system pipes will smoke? Similar to Petersen, Wellington, Savinelli Dry, and Chesterfield. I would love to know if anyone has smoked a few of the different ones and are they compareable?
Andrew

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have a few. Like you I wanted to give them a try. They are all about the same (except one). Peterson, WDC, Savenelli, SWISS Dry Smoker, Chesterfield. See Link

There are also "Well Pipes" which are system pipes I think. The Swiss is by far the best. Has a brass heat sink tube inside the well.
Swiss1.jpg

Swiss2.jpg

The Dr Grabow Omega is not a system pipe. Vauen Dr. Perl is not a system pipe.

A P-Lip does not mean its a system pipe.

Peterson's P-Lip and its variants

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I think a Calabash pipe removes moisture better. The moisture removal is the attraction to me with the System Pipes. Less tongue bite being the motivation. I have a gifted 1908 Calabash which I am very careful with and would like more. I am building one myself as a learning project in the meantime. Calabash Pipe Project.
There is another style called reverse calabash Im looking into. The Silverking we traded was not a System Pipe I dont think, was it? If not it could be made into one possibly.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I roughed the bit out and cleaned it out. I loaded up some Lane black rasberry. Stayed pretty cool and biteless most of the time. Only once or twice it heated up because I was pushing it, not paying attention. I need to bend the stem a bit more but Not a problem so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.