Obtained a Yello Bole Chesterfield KB&B -Finally!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Pictures are coming, but Im pretty excited about my find. had to post about it as I work on the pics of "before".

You see, smoking pipes only since Jan '14 I decided on Estate Kaywoodies and Yello Boles as my sample pipes to purchase so I could test out styles and such, they being good old well cured pipes by now and can be had at very reasonable prices. I could buy more that way. I did have a Yello Bole system pipe I traded for a Peterson 317 because the YB was so huge. Ive been looking for a true Chesterfield almost from the beginning of Jan '14. Well I found one! In decent shape although its quite nasty, but the size I wanted. I wasnt real sure until I got it, or if it was even a system pipe. It was listed as a "Esterfill" but I didnt see that until I rechecked the listing when I saw the stamping. None of the pictures in the listing were that clear.
Well, Whahooo! Im tickled to get this old boy! It appears the have the KB&B stamped on the band as the clover shape matches and their is a definite indention between them. Still looking to date it properly as the "&" in KB&B is there but you can make out "Cured with Real Honey" of more specifically "... WITH R..." so this is confusing.

From my notes:

Chesterfield Kaywoodie and Yello Bole started in 1924.

The ampersand (KB&B) inside the clover logo was discontinued in the 1930s.

The "Cured With Real Honey" means it would probably not have been made before

around 1935.

So there are some discrepancies. Let me get on the pictures... In the meantime, here is the eBay Listing with some pics.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
Is that the original and correct stem?? Doesn't seem to have enough of a bend for what is basically a full bent pipe.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Unsure michiganlover, I noticed that myself. Also there is "Imperial" there along with the "Chesterfield".

The game is afoot Watson! :clap:
YB_Chesterfield1.jpg

YB_Chesterfield2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I noticed the angle of that stem, too. If this is primarily for smoking, you might want to get the stem

reshaped or get another. If it is an item for a collection, it depends if the stem is original. But if you

put that bit in your mouth the usual way, the bowl would be leaning back toward your face, it seems.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I love it when someone gets what they really want.
I have a few Yello Boles, the older pipes (20's thru 50's) are an under-rated pipe. They've always been considered Kaywoodie seconds, but usually because of the smaller briars. Yes, I've come across some that have not been great examples of craftsmanship, but they've been priced accordingly. The only straight billiard I have is a small, rusticated Yello Bole and she smokes like a champ!
Congratulations!

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
It seems ok positioned like that. Im not that picky, just wanted another system pipe bigger that my Peterson. I have a WDC system pipe same small size, but the bowl is pretty shallow. Both of those are good for a quick smoke is all. I have one other WDC between the size of this KB&B and the Peterson 317 but the bowl is cracked. Not a problem really in smoking, just quite unsightly.
Looking forward to firing up the Chester when I get it cleaned up. Ive not seen very many run thru eBay. I always get more excited about a older pipe and the mystery of its age and history. The previous owner may hang out with me while I smoke it ya know, albeit he'll be in another realm. Just interesting stuff to ponder.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Congrats on your find! I'm seeing fewer and fewer of those as the years go by.
It's not too hard to reshape the stem as long as you don't over do it. All you need is a heat gun and a rolling pin.
Here's my beloved Chesterfield. They are great for those long smoking sessions with a good book.
f5657acd-d10e-4af5-b717-0a12f5b5b926_zps8552d306.jpg

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Dadgumit! I had read bad things about yellow boles after I had won one in an ebay auction. After what I read I just threw it away when it arrived in the mail. It was very old. I wish I had not. :( It was only 25.00 tho. ;)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Here's my Chesterfield.
kbb1-448x600.jpg

This is still my favorite pipe and one I would never part with. The original stem broke and luckily the replacement is far better. Original was a p-lip and this new fishtail really breathes smoke compared to the thinner p-lip.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
The nomenclature on mine has the "Yello-Bole" "Chesterfield" and "Cured with Real Honey" on the shank. On the band is the clover with the KB&B inside. My best guess on the 1950s is because it was before they were bought out, but after the change to "Cured with Real Honey."
I haven't seen any others like mine, all the ones I have seen looks like yours.

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I have yet to buy a Yello-Bole, but it's not for lack of trying. I've heard many of them are great smokers, which goes to show you that you don't have to drop a c-note or more to get a wonderful pipe. Enjoy, hawke! I'm glad you finally got what you've been looking for! :D

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Thx, Brittn...
Ive smoked a few bowls in it already. Love it. After first bowl, I looked to see how much moisture it held in the well. A Q-tip soaked up and colored 1/8" on the Q-Tip. I was fairly impressed.
Progress on cleaning. I decided to take all the old cake out and start building my own.

YB_Chesterfield3.jpg

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Congrats on your find! Nice pipe.
Here are two of my 1920's KB&B's except they are Rocky Briars. Still made before the Kaywoodie name change over.
bkks.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Brittney, I try spittle first, then alcohol(91% Isopropyl)if needed, this one was way beyond all of that so after cleaning all I could briar burns showed so may last resort here was to top it a little. Sandpaper on a flat surface and move the pipe over it sanding with the grain. Then carnauba wax.
cmdrmcbragg, Thank you, Oh Great One.
Durham, nice matching set! Ive got a long way to go on this Kaufman Brothers & Bondy Company history.

Status
Not open for further replies.