PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
After being a member on this forum for 3 years now, there is one aspect that still boggles me. Basically, I do not understand why 99% of the members will recommend a Savinelli to a beginner.
Please listen to my reasoning before breaking out the torches and pitchforks...
Where I mainly get cofused is basically due to the filters. In one breath, the majority will claim to hate filters, then in the next breath they will recommend a Savinelli to a new smoker. And I know, "just throw out the filter and use the adapter insert." Now we are getting into engineering of the pipe, and to me, using a plastic tube does not qualify the pipe as being "properly engineered."
There are very few things us pipe smokers will agree on, but one is a briar pipe requires proper curing and proper engineering to be a good smoker. I believe Savinelli offers the proper curing aspect, but falls short on the engineering due to the filter system.
So, my question to you Savinelli lover's, why is this the go to pipe for a beginner? Would they not be better off with a pipe that has no filter system, at least to begin?

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
This is a good point. I think Savinelli gets recommended a lot because they make some very gorgeous pipes for a reasonable price. Personally I always recommend a Nording. Never had a bad smoking Nording and they also look nice.

Reactions: HopHand

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't use a filter or an adapter on my 904. They probably get recommended for price and size.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I don't use a filter or an adapter on my 904
And would that not change the engineering of the pipe? There is now a large gap to create additional moisture while smoking. Possibly able to compensate with good technique, but not ideal for beginners.
My Savinelli has no filter.
You must have a pipe from the Petite Line. I know there are 1 or 2 lines that do not use filters, but the majority of their pipes come with the filter system.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I use unfinished Savinelli, they are nothing petite
For 50$ I can not think of a better pipe

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
I am with chasing here, no filter no adaptor. Love the open draw.
Savs are inexpensive, great smokers. I wish they would have been suggested to me when I started.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, the Savinelli brand has some of the nicest fit and finish among all factor pipes. I'm sure there are some with problems, but the quality control is at a very high level. Second, the filter question is easily overcome -- but it's true that it requires a little information, a little education, that is not readily offered anywhere, except through old gas bag Forums members like me. The fact is, Savinelli makes a number of pipes with no filters, repeat, no filters. These include the Oscar Lucite series, the Hercules extra large series, the unfinished series, and a number of series in their economy Rossi pipe brand. Plus, individual pipes such as the 601 churchwarden pictured in my avatar to the left. In addition, most Savinelli pipes that are filtered come with the aforementioned adapter which is useful, and the pipes can be successfully smoked without either the filter or an adaptor, depending on your tastes.
All this doesn't mean that you have to like Savinellis. There are dozens of wonderful pipe brands out there to select instead. I bought my first Savinelli unfinished pipes years ago, and have bought a number of other finished Sav's since, and been gifted with them, and received one as first prize in the pipesmagazine cartoon caption contest. So pardon me if I am biased. I enjoy them. But if they don't strike your fancy, there are a world of good pipes out there -- Chacom, Big Ben, Parker, Hardcastle, Stanwell, and on up the ladder of factory and artisanal pipes, as thrifty or magnificent as you like.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
They come with and without filters. I use adapters to eliminate filter, but have used them wide open and they work that way as well.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I want to know why nobody recommends Rossi pipes? Yeah they're not as pretty or fancy as Savinelli pipes, but they are the same pipes as far as shapes go, are less money, AND, most have no filters. It seems like many feel they are just crappy versions of Savs, but I find they are well made and smoke just as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orley, I've recommended Rossi's in several posts. When I first saw them at the local pipe show (TAPS) two years ago, the finishes were a little rough and the stamps a little primitive looking, but since then, they are looking quite nice. Rossi prices have come up a bit, but they are still less expensive than comparable Sav's, and the shapes are identical, and even numbered the same, with the addition (sometimes) of an "8" at the front. Quite a few of the Rossi series are not filter pipes, which is what many Forums members like anyway. For those who want only artisanal pipes, these are not of interest, but for those who like a good factory pipe and believe in the possibility of great smoking from such pipes, Rossi's join a long list of superior pipe brands that provide great smoking well above their price points.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I remember you saying this in the past mso, and your appraisal is spot on. A Rossi 320 is a great value as far as I'm concerned.
Duane, I love the shape of the Sav 904, and I bought an older Capri natural. But for some reason, I found myself not reaching for it that often. For me the bowl too narrow for my liking. I like a wider bowl for Black Frigate so as to get the full pirate experience... :mrgreen:

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Orley

I happen to own a Rossi as well

On contrary of what you said

My Rossi is the fancy looking one I have

But price and engineering wise, my Unfinished Sav is superior.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I should have mentioned, I bought a Rossi prince and find it a good pipe for complex blends, with a very ample and wide bowl. It reminds me of a number of pipes in the same shape at much higher price levels. I certainly have no complaints.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I like a wider bowl for Black Frigate so as to get the full pirate experience...
My blasted Weaver volcano is my BF pipe. Looks like an island jutting out of the ocean for a great pirate experience! My 904 alligator is my ODF pipe, and I enjoy the slender profile and light weight as I am lying back in my recliner.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I think a lot of the Savinelli recommendations come from experienced smokers who are just trying to share what they wish they had been told when they started the hobby. The same goes for the Peterson crowd, and so on. After spending a fortune, and getting to know your pipes, what is the most affordable piece in your collection that you would recommend to a beginner, and Savinelli's are in a lot of folks collections.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think that is a pretty accurate appraisal from chasingembers. While I am an inveterate fiddler, futzer, and tinkerer, and willing to buy an inexpensive pipe "with potential", I realize many are not. Savinelli is just a good ready-to-go right out of the box pipe, for a very low price. That's why they're on my recommend list. I do also think they are very versatile in the 6mm versions; with no mods, you can smoke balsa, paper filter, adapter, or wide-open, all with one pipe.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Don't get me wrong, I do see the quality in the Savinelli product. However, I still question the "engineering" when the filter is removed.
Maybe I am wrong, but does the fact that there is a substantial gap between the tenon and mortise (when filter is removed) not create poor internal engineering? Why is this accepted in a filtered pipe, but looked at as a flaw in a non-filtered pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.