PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I'll admit it. Sometimes it takes awhile for me to warm up to an idea.
When I first saw Churchwarden pipes my first thought was, "not for me". Now, for some reason I seem to be warming up to the style. For the life of me I can't explain it. I am totally in the dark about Churchwardens. What is the purpose of them, how do they smoke, etc??? I lean towards the apple shape, but if there is a different shape that is a better smoker, I'm open to learning about them. Enlighten me, please.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Okiedoke.
The aren't for everyone. I enjoy mine very, very much. They are perfect for sitting in a deep, high backed chair, and contemplating. They are wonderful for nursing while sitting in front of a fire. They are entirely impractical for clenching, or everyday smoking. I have noticed that I get a deeper draw on my two wardens than I do on a standard pipe, and therefore I have to adjust my cadence to keep from smoking too hot.
I have one which is a cutty/egg shape, the other is an acorn. They are both wonderful smokers.
Plateau, I'd say that warden PAD is just like any other PAD, if you've got an itch, you might as well just go ahead and scratch it. Otherwise, you're just itchy.
-- Pat

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Okay I will answer this best as I can from my perspective, but I must warn you it has no logic and even though it may seem like a joke of an answer(s); it's my serious answer. In Lord of the Rings Gandalf and many other characters smoke churchwardens which is awesome. Almost every fantasy fiction I love has a few pipe puffing characters and they're usually smoking a churchwarden. There is some kind of familiarity/nostalgia you get from churchwardens even if you've never owned one personally. If there is a zombie apocalypse someday or I survive some kind of post apocalypse; my pipe of choice as a carry-on would be a churchwarden.
I can not answer about the differences in smoking a churchwarden versus a "regular" pipe. This is because I smoke meerschaum pipes, and they all smoke clean/dry whether I'm smoking my churchwarden meer or my regular meer pipes.
By the way if you really love apple shaped bowls, then just by a churchwarden pipe with am apple bowl.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
Feed your churchwarden need! I'm smoking my Boswell with some Mcclellands Honeydew(loving this stuff Roth). Kicked back in your easy chair with a churchwarden is a fantastic thing.

B

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Savinelli churchwarden and don't know why I bought it. Nice pipe but I never feel like using it. The bottom line is if you're not really sure about it then don't do it. I have friends who have them and they don't smoke them on a regular basis. Just my take but one is enough.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have the Stanwell that Roth mentions and it is a dream smoker, possibly my best pipe. While not my favourite it is right up there. I don't have the issue with smoking too fast with mine, if anything for some reason I smoke it slower. Perhaps because it's harder to multi task when smoking a churchwarden. I have yet to use the regular stem that came with the HCA. I say go for it.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Depends. I've owned two churchwardens. I liked them at the time, but no longer have them. My preferences turned to portable, clenchable, traditional pipes.

That said, when I started smoking, I hated any straight-stemmed pipe, and now I have two straight cobs, a canadian and three billiards, one of which is easily my favorite pipe. I prefer billiards to any other shape. In your case, the curchwarden may just be the next step in your tastes, in which case you should go for one. The Stanwell HCA is a great solution.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I'm the kind of guy who likes to sit down and read or watch the world pass by when I smoke at home and to that end I originally bought a churchwarden. It was a small Mr.Brog special but I loved it. Still do. My ONLY complaint about it is that the bowl size is FAR to small for my taste. If I'm going to be reading I'm going to be out there for an hour or two and so a tiny bowl is just not for me and that is the ONLY reason I set it aside.
If you love reading and smoking it should be the perfect pipe for you. Sitting in a deep chair you barely have to nod your head to take a deep puff of thick, cool smoke and you never have to take your eyes from the pages with the exception of the rare relight. Hell! If anyone here still has a churchwarden they throw dirty looks at whenever they see it I'll gladly take it off their hands!

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
When I first saw Churchwarden pipes my first thought was, "not for me". Now, for some reason I seem to be warming up to the style.
I've had the same thing happen with straight billiards - used to think they were the most boring pipe shape imaginable, but I find myself looking at them more and more often when PAD kicks in...
As for purpose, according to legend the long stems either kept the smoke and embers from distracting the watchmen who kept an eye on the church at night (the original church wardens), or allowed them to put the bowl out a window to avoid stinking up the church (which, given that you don't exhale the smoke back out the pipe, makes no sense whatsoever).
Currently, since most of us aren't watching over buildings at night (sacred or secular), the purpose is largely to look cool, if you happen to like the look of a long stemmed pipe - which I'll admit, I do. I've got one small apple shape (Bjarne Viking Classic) which I actually don't smoke that much, as I've found that I like larger bowls; a Mr. Brog Dezerter that I'm mostly smoking Burleys in; and a MM Country Gentleman that I converted to a "Cobwarden" with a Forever Stem, which I love for longer Va/Per indulgence - nice big bowl, but you really can't clench it unless you've got a jaw like Bruce Campbell (or Popeye). Great for holding and gesticulating, though, and nice with a comfy chair and a good book.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice churchwardens Pat.
I only have one (smoking it right now actually).
brebbia4-600x440.jpg

I bought it because I am a history buff and it reminded me of the old clay pipes used in colonial times. It's okay as a smoker - they are unwieldy, but not so bad if you're just sitting and talking or enjoying the view somewhere.
I have to say, I rarely use it because of its size, but it is an elegant way to smoke a pipe.
All in all, you won't know until you own one - you just may take to it. :puffy:

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have three churchwardens and they are mostly for show. They make my pipe collection look interesting. When visitors come, they admire the churchwardens and ignore the rest. I usually like to smoke hands-free so I don't smoke 'em much. If I ever re-read The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, I pull one out! :puffy:

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
I think the answer to the problem is to have one pipe of every shape and style to which you take a fancy. That way, when the mood strikes, they are there, dry and waiting to be smoked! Is this solution practical? No. Financially responsible? Probably not. Really fun and cool? Definitely.

There's something to be said about having the right pipe for the occasion, though. I have a few churchwardens, and a stem for my bent meerschaums that I can switch out. They don't get smoked regularly, but there's times when nothing else will do.
Pat, I really like that Sandahl!

Aug 1, 2012
I keep looking longingly at churchwardens but never actually spring for one. Not sure why. The actual function seems to be more of an aesthetic one but they are cool. Let us know how it goes if you get one.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
They never really tripped my trigger, I only have two that are for my collection only. I will smoke them some time Im sure. A few months ago I knocked one off a shelf and busted the tenon off in the mortise, not other breaking. I ordered a new church stem to put on it. Then i was thinking what to do with the broken stem. I have this square, cherry-esqu style sitter pipe, I started to fashion this broken stem to fit that. I will post when done. I didnt have much interest in one till now either.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I own two churchwardens, a Hans Christian Andersen Stanwell and a Bjarne. Both are enjoyable smokes and definitely to be enjoyed while sitting or taking a slow stroll. The extra length helps cool down the smoke. You do need to pay attention to what you're doing lest you poke yourself in the eye or find the bit shove up your nose. Remember that you will need to order the extra long pipe cleaners for all of that stem.
Do not try to smoke one while driving a car...

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I'm a fan - Here's mine, a Pete D6 Rustic.

They are bloody unwieldy, and a bit too awkward to clench, but great for sitting and relaxing a while. I found it's a cooler smoke, but far wetter. I have to run a pipe cleaner through it two or three times during a smoke, which I never have to do when I'm smoking anything shorter.
But, I really do enjoy it. Nording Churchwardens on smokingpipes keep catching my eye...

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
I'd love to get a churchwarden but just can't afford one at the moment (I did vacillate on getting one of the cheaper Mr Brog ones on ebay but something about how they looked seemed off, and a churchwarden strikes me as one of those pipes whose aesthetics actually matter quite a bit). When I do get the money together, should I get a Peterson for about 60 euro/80 dollars or a Savinelli for 90 euro/122 dollars?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The first pipe my wife ever bought me was a rustic Dublin Peterson Churchwarden with two stems. I mostly use the shorter stem as its easier to clench and after 20 or so years, still smokes great. Its kind of mini-churchwarden with the shorter stem.
I have had a few Savinelli's from time to time over the years and they all smoked great. I ended up trading them off though, just cannot get into the over length.

Status
Not open for further replies.