PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I love the look of churchwardens. I never really do anything when I'm smoking, so their size doesn't get in the way for me. I have one churchwarden, a MM Pony Express with an 8 inch Forever churchwarden stem. I love it, smokes like a dream.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After looking at all of your beautiful pipes, I've come to the conclusion that a 8" stem would really be an issue for me - I want to smoke, not juggle. Also, I don't want to spend $100+ on something I might or might not like.
Here's the compromise inspired by Uber: I just ordered a Diplomat MM cob with a green swirl 4 3/4" bent stem. A while ago I ordered the same stem for my wife's cob and I really like the length. Walker does have 8" and 6" Churchwarden stems which I probably will experiment with before eventually going for the Stanwell. (Pictures when it arrives.)
When I showed my wife all of your pipes, she said, "Everyone should have a Santa Claus pipe!" That sealed the deal. When I retire I'll grow my beard (which will be white) and be ready to smoke a real Churchwarden.
Keep the pictures coming, I really enjoy them!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have a Golden Gate mini churchwarden that I bought from Watson-Shop.com in the Ukraine. They used to be a sponsor here. It is nice. It is not a long smoke. It works well and looks great. But I don't pick it up very often. I do think it was well worth the $13 I put into it. I bought another pipe for the same price that gets much more usage. Both are made of pear wood.
Winton

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have a few cobwarden pipes with 8" & 9" stems. This one is my favorite & only use with Hobbits Weed. I picked it up for just under $20.00 with the bamboo shank & ring.
cobwarden_zps313f4471.jpg

And thanks to this thread and roth's suggestion of the Danish Pipe Shop, I have found my next PAD purchase :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Why Do I Want a Churchwarden pipe?

I wondered the same thing when I first saw a Dunhill Churchwarden.

I was telling myself I'd love to have that pipe, but I'd probably never smoke it...

So why spend $400 on something I'll never use...

Well my tobacconist "Skip" at The Briary said why not just buy a basket pipe that has the basic shape you're looking for and have a stem put on it?

Well I have three of the basket wardens, and a cob warden.

I smoke one almost every day....

I find that they are the (for me)the most relaxing of my pipes to smoke.

rault

Lurker
Oct 15, 2013
I never wanted a Churchwarden until I saw this pipe.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=114725
Unfortunately I missed out on this pipe and I'm still kicking myself in the ass for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For drama and atmospherics, a churchwarden is a wonderful pipe. I have a Sav 601, and along the same lines,

a Gouda clay pipe (from Gouda, The Netherlands). It's also a perfect pipe for sitting and dreaming, thinking,

planning, scheming. For being photographed with a pipe, it is an essential. I'm one of those who finds the smoke

cooled and made mild a bit in a churchwarden, although many do not agree. I don't think you need to collect them,

necessarily. I don't. But if you enjoy some variety in your pipes, don't miss this one.

alancairns

Might Stick Around
Oct 22, 2012
I have three, a Svinelli, a Chacom, and a Vauen Nobile (in the picture). I love them. I always smoke one last thing before bed, sitting in a comfortable armchair, reading. I don't smoke them by day. I can't imagine trying to smoke one moving about!
Alan
IMG_0007_zpsc6b7c87e.jpg

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
Why? Because - Churchwardens are a legit part of the smoking experience. The smoke cools on the long trip from bowl to palate. They are a fun novelty. They are part of the history. Gandalf smokes on in the movie The Fellowship of The Ring. Then again - Why not?

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Merry and Pippin both smoke churchwardens in the Two Towers, Aragorn smokes a semi churchwarden in the fellowship too. Mike :) seems that's the only style smoked in the LoTR it was nice to see a movie so full of pipe smoking :)
What I wouldn't give for one of the pipes smoked in the movie..

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
where are you finding the stems for your cobs at?
I got mine from Ebay. For under $20, it included a new Country Gent cob, short bamboo shank, silver band, & church warden stem....though it doesn't the cute inlay dot.

Status
Not open for further replies.