Tags:  No tags yet. 
[closed]

Who Holds The Record?

(207 posts)
  1. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who holds the record for getting threads closed?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The folks that aren't here anymore.... aka anonymous.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, that anonymous SOB sure stirs up a lot of crap!

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Threads closed is nothing. Who holds the record for threads deleted?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Deathmetal? He talked a lot about cannibalism. . .

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

What about starcat and haja?

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They were one-offs. Shining stars that lit up the night and then were gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Salted, he cannibalized his welcome mat.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I can think of at least 2 who are no longer with us, and 1 who tries his hardest. No wonder why Javan is posting pics of all the beers he's drinking, he needs it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What about starcat and haja?
    I miss Haja. That guy really knew his lighters.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who Holds The Record?

Those who are easily offended and/or have no sense of humor?

I miss Haja.

+1

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

No wonder why Javan is posting pics of all the beers he's drinking, he needs it.

Not all actually, go figure out

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those who are easily offended and/or have no sense of humor?

You mean that they they are merely bag men? We wind them up and they run off the cliff?
    This is shocking news to me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Roth was the guy with the most posts to get ousted, I think. He was very smart, knowledgeable, but could be contentious, if I recall. I think he's still around on pipe sites.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We're looking for the person who has (overtly, ostensibly) caused the most threads to be closed.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The problem with accessing the number is the word “caused.” Was it the person who triggered someone to go off and break a rule, or the ones who jumped in to make matters worse, or just who has the shortest fuse and least self-restraint? And, usually the one who has least self-restraint, blames everyone or someone else. And, from the mods perspective, sometimes it’s everyone else who jumps in that indicates that there is a problem. Sorting out “who” requires conversation amongst the team. So, it’s not so easy to pinpoint one particular person that “causes” a thread to get closed. But, they usually know.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We're looking for the person who has (overtly, ostensibly) caused the most threads to be closed.

And when they are found! :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypW9ptwviRU

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pre or post league steroid scandal?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My mother was a seamstress for 30 years, so she holds the record for most "threads closed".

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

As a related question, what has caused the most threads to be closed?? Political commentary, off topic “crazy” posts, or mean aggressive posts??

I think political . There are certain members who seemingly always turn a thread political. At the same time I have seen many a thread closed for the off the wall ideas and commentary. I actually don’t mind the off the wall posts about weird things, kind of funny (but I have a weird sense of humor)

I am apolitical, never voted , don’t understand why people get so wound up and feel the need to assert their opinions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, alan73, I'm glad there's at least one person in the country who's content with the way things are. Sadly, I think you may be the only one!

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

It is what it is , that’s my philosophy . Make the best of every situation. I am zen that way. I am happy that people get fired up one way or the other, but is a pipe and tobacco forum the best venue to express those opinions ?

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell, a pipe forum isn't even the best place to express pipe opinions half the time, so, no.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alan: For some, that is all they have.

Zen is not dropping out or making the best of. It's about enlightenment. Thinking intuitively. Zen takes a lot of mental effort and time. Meditating on why people vote, get involved, would be Zen. Simply not understanding is not Zen. Finding the answer is Zen. You're more suggesting you are a pragmatist.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. jamban

jamban

Login to Send PM

Enlightenment is not about understanding why things are. It is about compassion and accepting things as they are. There are many ways one can go about this, and if Alan truly feels peace, then his approach is suitable for him.

As for finding the answer being Zen, i would say it is rather about being still so that the answers find you. And only if the answers are meant to appear.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I am happy that people get fired up one way or the other, but is a pipe and tobacco forum the best venue to express those opinions ?

Well, there is a general discussion section on here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As for finding the answer being Zen, i would say it is rather about being still so that the answers find you. And only if the answers are meant to appear.
    Makes more sense to move forward and search for those answers, in my opinion. Most things aren't going to find you for you. You have to seek them out for yourself. Being still is when most things just pass you by. If that's Zen, it sure is illogical.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jamban

jamban

Login to Send PM

I was replying Warren with regards to his point about enlightenment. What you are speaking of is something different, and that is totally fine. Being still is not about being still physically. And for sure, anything related to enlightenment seems illogical until you experience it for yourself.

To put it in a pipe and tobacco perspective... Those who have never explored natural tobacco and only have experienced cigarettes, or have only read research related to popular tobacco (which for decades was cigarettes) will never believe that unadulterated tobacco is actually good for your nasal passages and lungs. Seems illogical indeed from their standpoint. They would never believe that tobacco could be medicine for your sinuses.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I realize religion is an iffy subject for this forum. So, I'll make a last observation and hope we don't go off the tracks completely.

I guess and will concede that, in this day and age, there is Zen and then, there is "pop zen." My, admittedly l9mited, contact with Buddhism taught me that an always active mind intuitively sought answers, one didn't simply await enlightenment ... one went after it with a calm body and an active intuition. Buddhism has three sects, if you will, and Zen has been somewhat co-opted and massaged by the West, for the westerner, to a certain degree.

So, perhaps I misinterpreted alan73's position when he stated "I am zen that way." It was a lowercase "zed" and I may have reacted too quickly in reading into it a religious position. The difference between Catholic and catholic. Mea culpa if that was the case.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

I may have used the term wrong. it may have been more the slang definition of at peace, content, happy, etc.

Why not allow political conversation in the general section? As long as human decency and civility reign, I think it would be great for those that like to do that thing . Then I can join in and tell you all why you wrong. Ha ha.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alan73, voting is good. Discussing politics on pipesmagazine Forums is bad. I cast my first ballot, absentee, in Navy boot camp in 1968. I've voted ever since. Even when the polling place volunteers and I are the only people there, and I'm voting in a school board run-off. In boot camp, it was like, vote like your life depends on it, because it did, it does.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It they allowed political discussions in any way shape or form, I would be off this site very quickly. I have seen first hand how that will ruin a site. I was a moderator at the busiest cigar site in the world. Guys would try having political discussions and it turned ugly. People who were friends became enemies. Religion and political discussions have no place on a pipe site, trust me on that.

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I pretty much agree with you, Harris. Half the problem is people discussing politics on a pipe forum. The other half is that any offhand comment one makes, even on the general human condition, is immediately construed to be "political". The word "politics" has become just like the word "racism" anymore; it can mean anything, anywhere, anytime, to anyone who chooses to use it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are many places on the web for such discussions. We here have proven time and again that any civil discourse will soon draw in those illogical, vitriol filled individuals who have not arrived at their belief through thought and internal debate. It'll quickly turn hideously personal, often racist, etc.

Kevin has it right in his rules, stifling as some may think them. Sometimes members even cross the line with PMs. Mods would be gargling their guns if they had to continually referee such debate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Why not allow political conversation in the general section? As long as human decency and civility reign, I think it would be great for those that like to do that thing.

Human decency, civility and political discussion? On an Internet site? Are you kidding??

It's been tried, repeatedly, and it ALWAYS kills forums. Maybe it's something endemic to the pipe smoking community. Maybe all that nicotine causes hardening of the neurons, I don't know. But political discussion is more deadly than the Spanish Flu, Typhoid, Smallpox, and Bubonic Plague all rolled into one.

We're on the internet, where civility gets flushed down the crapper in a nanosecond. You can say anything you want with little to no practical consequence. It's not like anyone can reach through your computer and bludgeon you to death with a baseball bat, no matter how much you deserve it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

It's not like anyone can reach through your computer and bludgeon you to death with a baseball bat, no matter how much you deserve it.

Just wait, they'll have an app for that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Since any discussion, not just political or religious, that bears heat is monitored, and then usually shut down, the price paid for the forum continuing is in substance. Ideally what should be a free exchange of ideas becomes as useful as gruel. And this is of course because of the lawlessness of the internet, with the freedom to be insulting and rude and then run away. If you can't make it personal where's the fun?

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, we've traveled pretty far here, haven't we?

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you can't make it personal where's the fun?
    The fun is being able to enjoy conversation or share ideas on something that unites us regardless of political or religious belief, other than on something that often divides us. The pipe and tobacco is something that we all use for relaxation. Why dirty it up with something that will raise our blood pressure?

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The pipe and tobacco is something that we all use for relaxation. Why dirty it up with something that will raise our blood pressure?

Exactly.

Yet, there are any number of people who seem inclined to do just that, most of them gone to the cornfield eventually.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is a pretty tame forum compared to some of the hobby forums I frequent. It's funny how similar they all are though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yet, there are any number of people who seem inclined to do just that, most of them gone to the cornfield eventually.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not saying that the forum rules should be anything other than what they are. Rather, attempting to represent the attitude of those who run afoul of them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The occasional problem child uncloaks and is gone fairly quickly here. Kudos to the mods!

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't know about just closed but I'm pretty sure I know who has had the most threads deleted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't be bashful, son.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. curl

curl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think my very first main board post was political.
    Up til then I had been lurking. Then I read a thread that was getting out of control. Someone posted something obviously partisan and I copied and pasted the odious part of his post into the title of my new thread. I don't remember what all I posted, but essentially I asked the moderators to moderate that crap.
    Somehow I survived that post and I'm still here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some of the oldtimers here remember a less civilized forum and have the stories to go with it. I like to think the pot stirrers aren't here long enough to get a 'record high', so hopefully that number would be pretty low.

The mods here do a great job IMHO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike the pot-stirrers are alive and well. It's the fall guys who vanish into the fog.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have absolutely no idea who this guy is, but this video belongs here.

Stir the pot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLFYurQrSbE

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I vote for starting another "Manliness" thread. Double dog dare you to do it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very true woods, very true! And we both know one or two, maybe three judging from the above.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

Here's a Zen riddle for you all: Is a thread about discussing politics in the forum itself a political thread?

The word "politics" has become just like the word "racism" anymore; it can mean anything, anywhere, anytime, to anyone who chooses to use it.

Really, aledecaker? Racism has a very clear, precise meaning. The OED one will suffice: "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

I think Cosmic makes a really good point about who "causes" threads to be shut down. The person who started it or those who react to it? I don't start political discussions but do react to them when my buttons are pushed, or when they're allowed to proceed against the rules. But you'll notice what a mild mannered fellow I am when not being wound up by certain troublemakers.

To answer the question, I'd guess perdurabo.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And off we go.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lazar, you missed the point on the usage of "racism". Life isn't a definition in a book. That's why politics aren't allowed because invectives get carelessly tossed about like the five kids on the trampoline that gets jumped on by fat person.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lazar, I'm sorry that I was not very clear. My point is that, yes, there is a definition of racism; the word is often misapplied in order to create a flashpoint where otherwise, none would exist.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. lazar

lazar

Login to Send PM

And off we go.

I said something controversial?

ashdigger, I just meant to point out that the word has a clear definition. When used outside that definition it is being misused. "Politics" is much more slippery, I think. I have no beef with aldecaker - he's a good guy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I said something controversial?

Controversial? No. More along the lines of....

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The words “windup” and “pitch” came to my mind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Here's a Zen riddle for you all: Is a thread about discussing politics in the forum itself a political thread?

Before that question can be answered I need to know if there's a pot of coffee involved.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As long as it is discussing political threads and not a political discussion in and of itself I say ... no. Although, if examples are offered then ... well, ah, er ... hmmmmm.

Capitalist coffee? Socialist or Communist coffee? What is the country of origin? Are there any capitalist countries growing coffee? If so ... why?

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are there any capitalist countries growing coffee?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAp6xVItGww

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer this definition myself.......

"Racism, noun: The belief that races have distinctive cultural characteristics determined by hereditary factors and that this endows some races with an intrinsic superiority over others."

This Collins definition would explain for example why people from certain regions in Africa are always winning marathon and sprint races yet are rarely seen winning swimming contests.

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  64. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see lazar is getting a few bites. He's waiting for the big one before he reels in though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys are all getting played. If this thread is closed, that will put Dan over the top and he will be the new record holder.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Mawnasniff: I hate that definition . I won’t go too deep why, as I don’t want to get booted or have this thread closed down. But do any level of research on Kenyan long distant runners and the scientific studies around their global superiority and maybe you wouldn’t like that definition either. The science speaks , that doesn’t make it racism to observe scientifically proven facts .

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh dearie me. I 'as a feelin' in me water, a premonitory feelin' - strangury!

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hahahahaha. Clearly pipe smokers believe in being more pretentious that the Kardashians. What a load of crap this thread has turned to.

My vote, yes I just voted, is to close it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You guys are all getting played. If this thread is closed, that will put Dan over the top and he will be the new record holder.

I see that at least one of you here can pass a reading comprehension test!

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In, like Flynn!

Coach: "Are you just ignorant, or merely apathetic?"
    Player: "Coach, I don't know, and I don't care."

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   gandalfspipe