Who Has Tried McClelland Top Hat and/or Black Tie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
A member mentioned on of these two blends recently, and I've checked tobaccoreviews where each blend has only garnered 5 reviews. I like VaPers in general, and I like McClelland in general. I've never heard anyone talking about either of these blends. It appears they are pretty new, having been released in 2014. But surely some people on this forum could tell us more.
If youve tried them - do they merit our attention?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I just picked up a tin of Top Hat, and came here looking for a similar post. I was more of an English smoker, and recently have been smoking Virginia flakes almost exclusively. However, I figured I'd venture out with Top Hat as it sounded perfect for my first pipe I just made from a kit. I have to say, the perique is much more pronounced than I've tested in other VaPers, and it blends with the sweetness of this tobacco in a strangely satisfying way. It's not my every day smoke, but I could see this make it into a rotation. There was an old thread with some interesting background information as well. Top Hat and Black Tie

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I won a tin of this blend for being in a smoking contest. I have still not opened it yet. But am very curious about the contents.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Top Hat is a hidden gem...great Vaper from McClelland

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Top Hat is a very good blend, and worth buying. I don't see it smoked as much as it flies under the radar. Here's my review:

The red and stoved Virginias are very tangy and ripe dark fruity with the barest hint of grass, some earth and sugar, and a little fermented sweetness from the stoved Va. The perique is a noticeable background player, offering more raisins and figs than spice, though that spice is an important nuance that seems a little more obvious as you go along. The familiar McClelland vinegar note mostly disappears after a few puffs. There’s a slight woodiness present, too. It’s not as bold as the description claims, but it has enough strength to please with a mild nic-hit. The sweetness mitigates the strength enough that it could almost be an all day smoke for the experienced smoker who likes sweet VaPers. It may be a good place for a new VaPer smoker who has a sweet tooth to start. No chance of bite or harshness. Produces lots of smoke, burns cool, clean, and even at a reasonable pace with a mostly consistent flavor. Needs few relights, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste. Three and a half stars.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I had a tin of Top Hat in the spring that I popped for a fishing trip. It was a good smoke with a decent level of perique, easy to light and load, finished in a nice ash. That being said I cellar lots of VaPer blends and Top Hat didn't leave enough of an impression for me to cellar more tins of it. I will say that I lean towards stronger blends and prefer flakes so take from that what you will.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I've smoked a lot of Top Hat over the last year, but then I like 1) sweet and 2) perique. Yum yum! Works great for me and I always smash through a tin once I've broached it.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.