What Would You Like to Ask a Tobacconist?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pipe club is having Max Stokkebye, of Lane LTD, come to talk with us and have a workshop on blending on June 5th.
We have lots of discussions about pipe tobacco on here that always end in ambiguity, suppositions, and speculations, because we are not inside the industry.

For example, concerning chemicals and additives in tobaccos, flavorings, quality, leaf types not mentioned on labels, curing and handling of the leaf, etc... We really can never resolve these 100%, and it probably would not get resolved 100% by just asking one tobacconist or company man.
My problem when faced with an expert in the field is that I usually never have prepared questions to ask, and I end up standing there like an idiot sucking on my pipe, going, "cool, cool."
So, with time to think beforehand, what would you ask Max Stokkebye? For fun, I promise to relay your questions, and then report back. It will be like you are a part of our pipe club vicariously.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
"How did you get into the business??"

"And or how can someone get into the business?"
I'd love to smoke my pipe all day, and sell tobacco and pipes. :puffpipe: 8)
Also...How's the possibility of recording him on video while asking the questions?

Didi, being of the Stokkebye family is not something we all could do, but it is interesting that Max works for Lane. I do bet that makes for interesting family gatherings, ha ha. But, I can ask him how to get into the business. It would be interesting to hear his take on it.
I could try video. Maybe someone in the club already knows how to do that. You guys wouldn't want me in the video though. I have a face made more for radio. :puffy:

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would want to know more about humectants and the additives used to prevent molding. I'm fascinated by how pipe tobacco can be processed in a way to sit on a shelf in my closet for years and not dry out, not mold, and only get better. There has to be a secret to it?

Oct 7, 2016
The thread title led me to believe that this would be a somewhat broader subject. I would like to ask a retail tobacconist "Why, since you likely paid 45% of MSRP, or at most 50%, for that pipe, do you act like I am trying to steal the food from your children's mouths if I make a cash offer of 80% of MSRP? "

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I grumble about it on Forums, I might ask about blends that don't include Latakia or Perique. I love 'em both, but studying the constituent tobaccos in blends, they seem like default condiments -- blend anything then throw in the requisite Lat and Per. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but just do it, seems the theme. How about using other condiments, of which there are many. Simple ones we all know like dark fired, various Cavendish, Orientals, Turkish, an array of burleys, but many others. Lat and Per are far too good to just be the high fructose corn syrup of tobacco blending.
Secondly, the inevitable question about FDA and its impact on pipe tobaccos.
Thirdly, what's his standard pipe for sampling blends?
Ok, that's enough from me.

All of these are great, well... one question would be best posed to a retailer and one for someone into mood blends, ha ha.
My question... so far (2 part question), is (1) why does Lane produce so many vanilla based blends, and what differentiates one vanilla from all of the others? Also, (2) why develop a whole line of cigar named blends with no cigar leaf in them, and making them all vanilla?
Basically, what is so great about vanilla?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Why not produce a line of aromatics without the damn humectants? In almost every thread regarding aromatics, there is a critical majority regarding the heavy handed use of PG.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have every intention to do so. I just pulled the computer board out of my mini and I am going to attempt to isolate, remove, replace the chip which failed last night, causing all of my lights and most of my electrical to go kaput on I85. Talk about a check your drawers moment. Apparently, my year has a BMW made body, a Peugeot made engine, and a hodgepodge of MB/BMW/and whothefknows electronics. First real problem I have had since 2004. But, hopefully I will be mobile in time for the meeting. :)

Hopefully by June, you'll have it back to operational. I just changed out two coils on my Daughter's car last night. A real knuckle buster.
Another one, I always ask Lane folks is about why they can't give us a great Virginia or VaPer. Is it a market issue (less non-aro people) or just a facility issue, (like maybe they don't have the equipment or know-how)? I try to be nice about it though, because they are supplying us with all of the blending tobaccos and samples. :puffy:

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I thought the next meeting was in a few weeks. I think my issue is fairly common in the early mini re-release cars. A lot of info on diy sites. Should be easy.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If at all possible see if you can try the various components separately. How often do you find a blend that your really like or hate? If you could identify what you really like or hate, you will know what to buy in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.