What Would You Like to Ask a Tobacconist?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I am curious about pesicides/fertilizers used in crops...I assume that farmers are using whatever they can to get a big leaf fast? And I am wondering if any of that is likely to make it through to the smoke in a carcinogenic manner?

Mar 1, 2014
I've found that some Aromatic blends burn extremely well, and it seems as though the rate that the tobacco burns is unnatural. For example, even straight bone-dry Five Brothers seems to burn at a well controlled pace, where 1-Q can "run away" and start smoking itself, requiring you to cover the pipe and smother the embers to slow them down.

It's a feature that I sometimes admire, though I have to wonder if mentioning "accelerants" in aromatics might not go over so well. Still, if you're feeling brave you could ask:

1. Are some Aromatic toppings formulated specifically to burn faster?
On to more personal questions:

2. Does a professional blender ever buy tins at retail?

3. Do you have a cellar with jars full of exotic component tobaccos? (For creating one-off blends at home)

If he does smoke retail blends, you could ask:

3. What is your favorite blend that you currently produce?

4. What is your favorite blend from competing blenders?
5. What pipes do you use for testing blends?
Just for fun, I think it would be cool to ask a professional blender to describe what they would use to create a "Batman Blend".

6. If you could create a blend that would be officially licensed with the Batman name and logo (e.g. "Batman Blend"), what would that blend be?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'd ask what their favorite color is, then I'd ask how that color choice impacts their blending style.

Favoritism!! lol
I would ask him about how nervous his company is with all the new laws going into effect everywhere making the distribution of his tobacco harder every year.

A few other questions that came up at the pipe club meeting last night, just in jest. And, also keep in mind that he works for Lane now...
How do you guys remove all of the nicotine from the tobacco? And, is it the same process that removes the flavor?
It made me chuckle. :puffy:
And, I am amazed that no one mentioned the obvious question... Do you use a lower grade tobacco on the more aromatic blends? Like, is the flavor to hide a lower grade tobacco flavor?
Maybe it's because we are all way more educated on the forum. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
How far ahead do you buy and store tobacco? (as a producer)

Do some varietals lend themselves to storage better than others?

Do you process beyond cutting, casing, topping, blending?, i.e. production of Latakia?

Do you foresee any drastic changes in availability of any 'blending' varietals currently in production?

Do you feel that conglomeration of tobacco blending production is better for the quality of blends produced?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In addition to the above, I'd like to know:
1. Is the number of pipe smokers increasing, decreasing or staying the same?

2. If upcoming regulations limit the market, do you see consolidation occurring among the big blenders, and if so, what blends will survive, since many are very similar to one another?

3. What do you think is the next trend? Last year it was sweet Latakia blends like Penzance and Frog Morton. Somewhere in there it was Va/Pers. What's next, and will the Va/Bur/Pers like OJK have their day?
I am looking forward to Cosmic's report of this. If you have a camera, maybe upload the interview to YouTube.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I would want to know more about humectants and the additives used to prevent molding. I'm fascinated by how pipe tobacco can be processed in a way to sit on a shelf in my closet for years and not dry out, not mold, and only get better. There has to be a secret to it?
Along the lines of a recent thread: are bulk blends sold to retailers treated differently than stuff tinned in the factory? Humectants are considered by some to be "for sure" use by some retailers. Do they sell humectants to retailers?
Does he have a view on someone continuing the Dunhill lines- and if so, who?
Finally, are they open to adopting a somewhat aged son??

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
"How did you get into the business??"
Found this one from another forum:
P.S. Fun side note, Max Stokkebye (Erik Stokkebye's son) is my direct Lane/Stokkebye rep. Really nice guy too. He didn't really want to get into pipes and went to college for international business (of course I asked him about it, I'm curious!). But when he really didn't find anything he was passionate about, he decided to apply himself to the family business and is starting as a regional rep.
"And or how can someone get into the business?"
I'd love to smoke my pipe all day, and sell tobacco and pipes.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/information/jobs/
I'm fascinated by how pipe tobacco can be processed in a way to sit on a shelf in my closet for years and not dry out, not mold, and only get better. There has to be a secret to it?
Wines have the same secret probably :)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"Do you have any trade secrets that you'd like to share with us?"
"As a trade rep for STG/Lane Ltd, you probably run the entire company by yourself. What's that like?"
"I'm looking for some extra cash and would like to sue a tobacco company. Got any dirt?"
"I'm sure that you have some honest opinions about your employer. Dish"
"What is the velocity of a sparrow?"

Status
Not open for further replies.