PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
We all have our idea of what the "Iconic Pipe" is? For instance, when most people (and I'm talking mostly non-pipe smokers here) think of a pipe, they probably think of the Bent Billiard from Magritte's famous painting (the title of which, ironically, states "This is not a pipe." haha).
What is yours "Iconic" Pipe? This could be a favorite pipe you think you should be an iconic pipe, or, it could be your idea of the Iconic pipe.
Mine, for example, is the Stanwell 32...
002-034-4729.jpg

which I think is an example of an Iconic pipe in many ways: classic proportions, compact (yet, not what I would call a small pipe), functional and good looking; but that's just me.
So, what's your iconic pipe?
(and if you can post a pic, that would be great too)

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
When I was growing up, thinking of pipes I always thought of a standard straight billiard.
And no one does them like Rich Lewis. So here's my contribution.
lew1890.jpg

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
Mine would have to be the corn cob that master chief Sunday smoked in the movie men of honor!

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
That's a nice Radice with some wild grain. Nice choices, so far, guys. Keep 'em comin'.

Jul 15, 2011
The image of a pipe, at least to me, was always one that had a bent stem, and was something like a traditional billiard shape, almost idential to the one Mick posted the pic of, only with a taller bowl and less squat. I will tell you that the first shape that ever really got me excited about pipe smoking was the bulldog shape.

johnd

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2012
http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/4287/dunhillbruyere-150x120.jpg
Dunhill Bruyere bent billiard.
It may not be my absolute favorite, but it's pretty iconic to me. I bought mine in 1973 for $46.00.

deyro

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2011
For me, it's the Savanelli 606KS bent billiard. Probably because the first briar I bought was a Bruna 606 KS. But the reason I bought it, even though I didn't know the first thing about pipe shapes at the time, was that it fit the image I had in my mind of an iconic pipe.
Kinda like this one:
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=97355

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Iconic for me had always been the billiard as well; followed closely by the theatrical Calabash of Sherlock Holmes.
So my favorite icons to smoke are currently
This Burnsley&Burnsley

burnsley_vintage.jpg

And while not a calabash, my Sav "Solaria"

savinelli_solaria_614.jpg

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
Mine would have to be the Peterson 999. Even before I started smoking pipes I knew that I wanted one of these. Now I've got one and it makes me smile every time I light it up. :D
002-029-13237.jpg

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Wow, great pipes, guys! So interesting to see the variety in everyone's idea about what an iconic pipe is.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Nice Sav 614 Solaria, OTD (I'm assuming it's a 614). I have two 614's that I recently got. The first that I just got because I got a good deal on it and the second because (after smoking the first) I realized what a great smoker it is! Now I want more of these...

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Nice Pete, Father. Why is it that Petersons and men of the cloth always seem to go so well together?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Not my favorite, but a genuine classic. A Dunhill group 5 billiard with a silver band.
DunhillShellBilliard01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.