PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
This Yanik Dragon Claw with Emergent Baby Dragon...
kol31.jpg

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
When I think of a pipe, I think of grandpa sitting at the kitchen table with his pipe and a cup of black coffee. I vaguely remember the pipe and would love to find it. I think a cousin has it and I am trying to get a picture of it at least to try and find a duplicate. Being a farmer I'm sure it wasn't a fancy or expensive pipe, but, you never know with grandpa. I think I will call my aunt tomorrow and see if she knows who has it. She is living in grandpa's house and may know where some of the stuff went.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My collection is about as eclectic as they come, as I have no particular favorite shape or style of pipe. When I think of an iconic pipe, the most easily identifiable pipe is the classic gourd calabash, erroneously associated with Sherlock Holmes. I have one; it is not necessarily my favorite, but I can always count on a cool, dry smoke from it, no matter the tobacco. The corn cob is a close second, and it is as American as baseball and apple pie.

As far as the "holy grail"? I hope one day to have a Dunhill Cumberland billiard, and an Armellini "pistol grip" bridged freehand. And perhaps one day, get to the end of my ever growing PAD and TAD list....

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
Dunhill Bent Billiard (#5102) and Bent Bulldog, diamond shank (#5108) and 4110 (Billiard). Classic English shapes, no one does 'em better than Dunhill.

yachtexplorer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Wherever the boat is moored
I love Danish pipes, I have lots of figural and "art" pipes. However I totally agree that when it comes to "classics" there are none better (some are equals to be sure) than Dunhills. Seven of these are from my birth year, 1950. Classics:
dundozsf.jpg

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Richard always tops everyone, everytime with his outstanding collection of pipes, I just wish I was included in his Last Will. :worship:

heraclitian

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
@OTD, it's a Jess Chonowitsch - my all time favorite [danish] billiard, but unfortunately it's not mine. Just from the left size of the pipe I guess the flame is yes 360°, because the flame is even and comes directly and parallely straight from the bottom of the bowl and shank.

I don't know who owns this pipe and if it's smoked but I would be happy to pay full [recent] retail for it.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey Bigvan, the ring on that Dunny is beautiful! Have not seen one like that!
And, yachtexplorer, that is an impressive set of Dunhills, yourself! They all look in amazing shape!
And, yes, Heraclitian, the Danes, I think, are responsible for some of the most classic pipe designs
And, YES! PETERSON, PETERSON, PETERSON!!! Got my eye on Pete St. Patty's XL90 right now...
Keep 'em comin', guys! I will post another of my favorite classic pipes shortly; one that was made for me by Todd Bannard.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
This is actually my one and only iconic pipe, as I don't yet have a Stanwell 32. This was made for me by Todd Bannard. Todd is like a walking encyclopedia on pipe making and his pipes are evidence of that. This is, by far, my best smoker! I'm sure you will love your BST pipe, marmal4de. And for those of you who haven't seen Todd's work, do yourself a favor and check out his website: briarsweatandtears.com
SasquatchProfessor4.jpg

maineyachtie

Can't Leave
Aug 14, 2010
"What do you consider an iconic pipe"
Fred's response: "This Yanik Dragon Claw with Emergent Baby Dragon..."
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
awesome.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Pure nostalgia (at least my interpretation) of an early 1950's memory made me buy this stubby. An authoritative figure, either teacher or priest sported one. That impression stuck.
stub7.jpg

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
I like that one bobby46. You can tell that pipe has some personality and a story to tell. Sadly I dont have a "iconic" pipe just yet. I have some pretty nice ones but the one most know me for is this one:
$(KGrHqRHJBwE9!GNQfKYBPU+9oO!!!~~60_3.JPG

This is my walkin pipe, was also my grandfathers "at work" pipe. Easy to clench and its Brylon which means its pretty much industructable. I have a few pictures of my grandpa smoking this while he was a soldier.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
If it has to be an iconic shape, this Upshall would have to be the one:
DSC01641.jpg

or tmy favourite, this Reiner:
DSC01638.jpg

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Hey Deithal, nice example of a "the pipe" pipe. I've never seen a Dublin shaped "the pipe." Would LOVE to a pic of your grandpa' smoking this! That would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.