Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm explaining the contents of my smokey orange mixture, and I list GH&co Kendal Gold Banana. I am always expecting to have to explain that it doesn't taste exactly like banana, but "What is Kendal," stumped me. Hmmmm... I know it's made in the Lakeland area, but things that don't have Kendal in the name are made there also. Is it Virginias made there? A Kendal process? A particular flavoring? A particular dead grandma? Kendal Flake, Kendal Mixture, Dark Kendal, Gold Kendal... Does anyone have an idea of what designates something as a Kendal tobacco product?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Kendal is the town in which they make the blends... Kendal, England. They just happen to use the name in a lot of their blends, ie; Kendal Flake is a Flake Tobacco made in Kendal, England.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Kendal is the town in which they make the blends... Kendal, England.
https://media.giphy.com/media/xT5LMzIK1AdZJ4cYW4/giphy.gif
Dontcha just hate it when the answer is so obvious?? :rofl:

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Kendal is the town where Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth were started and where their factories are to this day. One of the original snuff's was called Kendal Brown. In a descriptor in a way that designates the tobacco is from Kendal and suggests quality

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The Town Kendal is in the Lake District, yes.
All the tobaccos that I've tried with Kendal in the name have all tasted relatively different to me. The blends that contain their Dark Fired tobaccos and what they call their Indian leaf all have a similar taste profile but those aren't necessarily synonymous with the name Kendal.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
There is a small ad in Pipe Line no. 40 Summer 1980:
Gawith,Hoggarth`s Loose Tobaccos

Kendal Flakes Shags and Mixtures
Lower Street,Kendal,Cumbria.

I've also heard several times that "such and such" has that Kendal flavoring, or it tastes like a Kendal Flake. I didn't get a very good answer from Googling it, and thought that maybe a lakeland expert would know more. I'd bet mrlowercase could provide a history of ads, articles, and published items to give us something more... historically relevant.
Sure, I don't dispute the town's name or Lakeland District, just that there must be more than just the tobaccos location of origin. Otherwise, Kendal, Lakeland, phhht... means nothing.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Sure, I don't dispute the town's name or Lakeland District, just that there must be more than just the tobaccos location of origin. Otherwise, Kendal, Lakeland, phhht... means nothing.
There's a whole book on Kendal snuff/tobaccos called Kendal Brown. Like I said, it just denotes that the tobacco is from Kendal and is synonymous with high quality. For instance 1792's full name is 1792 Kendal Flake. It has nothing to do with being related to the flavoring of Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Flake.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
There's a whole book on Kendal snuff/tobaccos called Kendal Brown. Like I said, it just denotes that the tobacco is from Kendal and is synonymous with high quality. For instance 1792's full name is 1792 Kendal Flake. It has nothing to do with being related to the flavoring of Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Flake.
My take as well. Very good book, too!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Been smoking SG Brown #4 Finest Kendal Twist all week ... great smoke.
Cosmic, hope that helps. :mrgreen:

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
what is the Kendal Dark like a tobacco?
it's great as a RYO, it's strong and has a nutty kind of topping. I wouldn't smoke it in a pipe. The shag blends with Kendal in the front are all RYO in my opinion, Kendal Gold, etc

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Pipeman7: Thanks for refreshing my memory,I just forgot it,I was planning to get it during my RYO years but it was so helluva expensive in comparition to central eu brands,during those 20 year I smoked most uniquely The Dutch blend the Van Nelle dark Kentucky Zware shag tobacco,once or twice tryed it out in pipe and then It was kinda not far to get hospitalized, you got my picture,,

coffinmaker

Can't Leave
Jan 20, 2016
I just had a bowl of that stringy tobacco, would most likely taste okay if it were cut with Latakia!

Status
Not open for further replies.