PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
We all have our pipes and such related stuff. But I was wandering what are people's other hobbies besides the briar and the related that you do on the reg?

Me personally, I like to study theology as the main go to and in general like to learn as much as possible about other intrest of history. Ocassianaly I will get into a furniture building kick from time to time as the need arises, but, nothing to fancy.

I also love getting into the leadership roll in my Parish but , that is probably more of a duty. One of these days I would like to try my hand at pipe making too.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Coincidentally to pipe smoking, I am a piper. Yep, I'm a piping piper! I've been learning/playing the great highland bagpipes for about 4 years now and play in a competitive band that travels in the summer months. On top of this I'm also a connoisseur and collector of whiskey; mainly single malt Scotch, but I dabble in a few other types as well. Collection currently stands at around 40 bottles and I rotate bottles in and out so that as I finish one, I'm trying/adding a new one to the mix. I see a lot of similarities between that hobby and pipe smoking in that aspect.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm an 'all or nothing' kind of guy, which I believe to be unfortunate in the long run.
Right now(last 2 years) it is pipes and tobacco. I wake up in the morning and go through the day waiting to either get on the forum, the chat room, ebay, smokingpipes etc to check out the next pipe or tobacco or whatever.
Other than work, that's it.
Jewelry making (my profession). auto mechanics, scuba diving, underwater photography (my avatar), pursuing helicopter lessons (the most difficult thing I've ever attempted), among other assorted activities have all fallen by the wayside.
And then, I generally burn out.
My personality.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
@coalsmoke, I've always been intrigued by the model train enthusiast. I live a century old home beside an old CN railway bed and have often thought my barn would make an ample space to "set up" shop.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My current kick is building my modest pipe collection and tobacco stock, all with the idea of smoking not as a collector's collection so to speak.
I do have a nice collection of license plates from the US, Canada and Mexico, that include some real gems like my '68 - '69 Olympic plate from Oaxaco Mexico among other favorites.
I'd say my wierdest collection would have to be the thousands of fruit stickers I have neatly cataloged in albums.
I used to be much more persistent in these hobbies but now I just keep my eyes open for good used pipes and license plates whenever I happen to wander through a flea market. Ocasionally I'll enter an antique store just to see if they happen to have an interesting pipe lying around.
Me personally, I like to study theology as the main go to and in general like to learn as much as possible about other intrest of history.
As far as reading is concerned, I love to read about religion and history as well.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I write hip-hop instrumentals, and have a moderate interest in anime, though I'm pretty particular about what I'll watch. (Attack on Titan is the business!)
I am also an avid skateboarder, and martial artist- though it's been many years since I've had any practice or training in the latter.
I do also enjoy a bit of intercourse from time to time... (Is that a double entendre? You be the judge.) :wink:

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
My hobby is my work. Metal detecting, TV production, researching, speaking, and searching the truth about American history one story at a time.
Also, wood carving, and reading.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My other hobby would be music. I enjoy hunting for new bands, seeing live music, and dabble in playing instruments from guitar to piano to electonic samplers.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
I race a blown alcohol dragster in the NHRA. I've been 225mph in 6.1 seconds. We make about 2,400 HP. Between that and smoking a pipe, my two pasttimes probably set records for being opposite ends of the "intensity" spectrum. lol

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I compete in Cowboy Action Shooting (http://www.sassnet.com/About-What-is-SASS-001A.php) and my home posse/club is The Orygun Cowboys (http://www.oryguncowboys.us/). I also shoot 25 and 50 yard Bullseye which ain't easy. Both disciplines require hours of daily and sometimes intense concentration "dry firing" practice, following breath control techniques for the Bullseye techniques, and often using a timer for holster draw, dry fire, and re-holster practice for Cowboy.
Have recently picked up leather crafting/belt making for some seated relaxation.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
I read a lot and have dabbled in painting and stamp collecting over the years. Lately though my son and I do a lot of "bug hunting"(as he calls it). I have always had a strong interest in the natural world but only just started to take an serious interest in the insects around where I live. We have recorded over 300 species of moth at our house in just over a year including a couple not recorded in the province before. I am amazed at the diversity of critters right outside my door and it is a wonderful way to spend time with my son as we walk through forests and fields and hang out by ponds. Typically we take photos for identificaiton but have started a modest collection as well.
Here is a new to Canada barklouse (Pteroxanium kelloggi)

P1190850small_zpsfadf7918.jpg

A Metallic Green Bee (Agapostemon texanus)

P1210108supersmall_zps6383fcef.jpg

and a Fairy Moth (Adela septentrionella)

P1100260small_zps02b46fb3.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great insect photos. I like the living representatives better than the collected "remains."
Terrific radio shack. Being a former radio hobbiest as a high school kid, and later a minesweeper

radioman, I can relate.
I'm a sort of amateur student of political science, more the processes and malfunctions than fanatical

participation, though like all the world I have my opinions. Likewise, I am a great follower of automobiles

and automotive marketing. I didn't get my first car until I was 27, thanks to shipping all over the world

for school, military service, and grad school, so I never had an old lunker to get under the hood, but I can

recognize a 1959 Pontiac grill in my peripheral vision in two seconds. I like attending classic car auctions

and other car shows, and I read on the subject quite a bit.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Guitar playing and collecting is my main hobby; mainly plaing Americana music. I have dozens of vintage Martins and Gibsons that I have collected over the years, as well as a Larrivee Bakersfield (telecaster-style) electric and a Bart Reiter Regent banjo that I am trying to learn clawhammer-style of playing.
I also am a rower; rowed crew in college and participate in a local rowing club (and via the ergometer at Concept II).
Favorite authors are early 20th century writers: Tolkien, Hemingway, Steinbeck, Maugham. I also love reading reformed theology a la R. C. Sproul and the old Puritan writers like John Owen, Richard Baxter and Jonathan Edwards.
Oh, and smoking pipes and cigars.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have been into bass fishing for years. About three years ago I joined a fly fishing club to take advantage of the casting classes they offer. Since then fly casting has become an obsession. I also enjoy traditional archery with my 8 year old son. I use to shoot in a league but now it is more of a once and a while side hoby. I can be found smoking my pipe in my veggie garden most days. I live in Northern California and can grow year round.
Before my two boys were born I use to cook for fun and entertain quite a bit. Now days I am to busy for that and my days revolve around taking care of my boys and being nice to my wife. Things have changed since being a bachelor, but life is really really good these days.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been a pipe smoker for over 44 years but I've also been a musician for over 50 years. Guitar, piano, tenor and five string banjo and bass. Playing and teaching guitar put me through college and helped my buy my first house. I still teach a little but gave up the band and gig thing a year ago although I do a couple of solo charity gigs a year.

I've also been seen tooling around in my 1977 MGB which is great fun in nice weather.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My other hobby is hockey. Been playing since I was 7yrs old, 29 now. If I'm not smoking pipes or checking Instagram pipe accounts I'm probably out playing hockey or talking hockey with friends. I have the NHL GameCenter so I watch A LOT of hockey too. I'm sure people see my social media accounts and assume I'm Canadian lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.