PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Poetry. Some formal but more free verse, some ~900. I wrote off and on during my life but was too busy to spend time on writing until about age 45; more or less continuously since then. I like to read books that make my head hurt through abstraction, and this bent is definitely in my work. I think metaphor is one of the loveliest devices to use with language, and as important, experimentation with structure, sound, word form-anything that will make the language original and musical.
I feel a bit awed by the fact that our body includes a drag racer, musician with an infinite number of great guitars, and a radio enthusiast with a wall of equipment.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Girls - it's all about the girls. :wink:
I write poetry and short stories. I study philosophy, politics, and history. I have my own personal library and not enough shelves... I train for boxing and competitive shooting as well. I am very much a firearms enthusiast and can shoot eggs at 300 yards. If the range was longer it'd be a higher number. :lol:
I collect: fountain pens, various inks, helmets from the world wars, post cards, various editions of particular books, unique rings, vintage tins, vintage glass bottles, and marbles.
So pretty much stuff that gets me lots of babes. :roll:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I too write, but it would be a misnomer to say it is a hobby, maybe for others too who have mentioned it here. It's a

profession that started with publication before any of my permanent day jobs and continues now well into retirement.

I don't mention it much on Forums because it would be like giving a blow-by-blow on my daily job. A short story

collection, a number of anthology appearances, some national (Nortons), and etc. Lots of journals/reviews. I do

mostly poetry, short stories, essays, articles and other journalism.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Wow! There are some very interesting and talented pipe smokers here! I can only dream of doing some of those things, particularly going 225mph in dragster....amazing!
I'm into Baroque and Renaissance music. I have recorders, a cornetto, and a viola da gamba. I also compose original music for those instruments, but time is at a premium right now so those things are on hold.
At the moment I've been playing bass in my wife's bluegrass band(s) whenever possible. She plays mandolin, tenor mandolin and guitar.

Jun 4, 2014
My three year old son takes up most of my spare time. When I find the odd spare moment I enjoy woodworking, building black powder firearms and model railroading.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Old military rifle collecting and shooting is a current hobby.

In my younger years I raced Motocross and did a LOT of woods riding.

I sometimes find myself missing it and wanting to return to riding but am hesitant due to the chances of broken bones etc. I just cant react as fast as 25 years ago, go figure...

There is an 1984 CR500, and an 81 YZ465 in my garage both in nice condition and begging to break my legs err.. be ridden.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Along with pipes I also enjoy typical guy things such as Fishing,Hunting, talking politics, studying history, Collecting rusty gold from barns, reading, and studying christian theology.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I am a book-lover, and so my primary hobby over the past 20 years has been to amass a personal library. Works on the Civil War comprise a large part of the collection, as do the works of Mr. Twain, E.B. White, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Charles Dickens, Ernest Hemingway, Shakespeare, Ernie Pyle, and others whom I am certainly forgetting. The balance consists of certain select literature concerning hunting, fishing, and the out-of-doors, and includes titles by Nash Buckingham, George Bird Evans, Corey Ford, Gene Hill (a late acquaintance), Gordon MacQuarrie, Robert Ruark, Colonel Harold Sheldon, Sparse Gray Hackle, Archibald Rutledge, Arnold Gingrich, and more.
I also collect vintage shotguns (all of which I use), pocket watches, and antique radios.

joseywales

Lurker
Nov 30, 2014
Sooo, I'm all of you wrapped up into one. I'm into some more than others.
Cowboy Action SASS

Shooting: trap, pistol, rimfire

Airguns

HAM Radio - I solder and repair bit, but not at the level shown above. I really need to get going again.

Trains

Fly Fishing - so I try to learn about bug behavior! And I tie some flies.

RC cars

Archery

Cigars

Wet shaving
Pipes - brand new

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
Like many others have said, I enjoy reading. Most of my books are fantasy and/or graphic novels. I also enjoy playing pub trivia, with weekly games on Monday and Wednesday. Related to that is my love of craft beer, which is also a subject on which I love to read. I am working on getting everything together to stat home brewing. Finally, the only hobby that hasn't been subordinated to the pipe is watching football and playing fantasy. I'm destroying both of my leagues this year. I'm so far ahead that I could take the week off, the second place team could have the highest scoring week of the year, and I would still be in first place.
@buster I took a fly fishing class in college, and I think smoking a pipe and tying flies would go together amazingly.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Reading, gardening, bonsai culture, tarantulas, rc helicopters, occasional pipe making, and raising three wild children.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
th

Where The Wild Things Are (at chasingembers house)

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Reading. A good book with my pipe and my tea, and I'm a happy person. I am also a baseball fan, so the San Francisco Giants are pretty much religion,and the last five years have made for happy puffing. In the summer, aka non-snowing times, I swat at a golf ball with oddly shaped mallets.

alphaflux

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
United States
Other than pipes, cigars and scotch... I enjoy playing hockey and guitar. I'm also a big fan of tube amps and plan on building my own some day.
I have a feeling that my next hobby will be BMX, as my two kids love BMX racing... :D
644370_10203141755041677_3946254535643776030_n-600x428.jpg

10805598_10203213767321939_4923492936296948675_n-600x428.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great action photos of kids on bikes. You really feel the speed and gritty track.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
My wife and I have triplets, all boys, who are now 10. Is that a hobby? Ha!
Fountain pens and ink collecting (and use!). I've made a small study of existential risk and the long-term survival of Earth-originating intelligence. Amateur visual astronomy (with modest telescopes), particularly deep space objects. Small application and web programming and visual design.
I studied literature and philosophy in college and retain interests in those areas, as well in the humanities, broadly.

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
Other than pipe smoking that will be stamp collecting, Astronomy, reading a lot, Sci-Fi, history, biographies.

Hmmm…… do you think that qualifies me as a nerd? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.