Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Welcome To The 3rd Annual Fishnbanjo Day.

(68 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by jaytex969
  • Latest reply from hugodrax
  1. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last year, this was fun.

Today, it is a duty and, on the heels of his recent passing, it feels too soon.

However, I can not alter the calendar and would not dare neglect my self appointed duties.

So, even though many of us just did this two weeks ago, spontaneously, dig deep into your personal haberdashery and show some love!

Get out that special hat, don some shades and show us how YOU keep it smoky. Bonus points for classiest pipe and most scenic backdrop.

As I am still grounded at home in recovery mode, I submit probably the lamest pic from within my smoking command bunker. Forgive me, Sante...

Keeping it smoky with some Esoterica Tilbury in a Stanwell 86, one of my favorite shapes to date.

Links:

1st Fishnbanjo Day
    2nd Fishnbanjo Day
    Post concerning Fisnbanjo's passing

"Pray for the dead and fight like hell for the living." -Mother Jones

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm in! God Rest a Good Man...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 month ago #
  3. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

Keeping it smokey with Black Mallory in my Jirsa Sitter. Just remember, smoke rises...

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My daughter and I, keeping it smokey (Brown Bogie/Autumn Evening 50/50 mix, my daughter loves the smell of this blend) in a Bones billiard.

Sorry for the lack of smoke, it’s the only pic I have at the moment.

Disclaimer* My daughters pipe is a play pipe not intended to be smoked until she is of legal age, just 16 years to go! I hope that cob lasts that long.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I didn't realize you made this thread today. Great photos, everyone. I may try to get a photo in for this one tomorrow if I make it home from work before the daylight ends.... and of course I'll have to find a good tree. A hat really shouldn't be a problem.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ordered a funky Kangol flat cap from fleabay and it didn't arrive in time for today, so you will not be the only one posting later.

It's never too late to celebrate Fishnbanjo Day!

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Keeping it smokey for Sante with my favorite flying shades, vintage seahawks hat, and Old Dark Fired in my AKB meerschaum calabashish demichurchwardeny thing on the awesome little soon to be guest cabin platform behind the house......lovin our Alaska 9pm sunshine!

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey

Peterson Dracula 69 with Grousemoor (and a Hanna Donegal flat cap)

Peterson Newgrange Spigot XL11 with Presbyterian (and the same cap)

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

Keeping It Smokey for Sante. SG Cabbie’s Mixture in an AKB Lattice Cherrywood Meerschaum carved by Tekin. Donning the flat cap, shades, my most unique meer, and in front of my favorite tree (full of FL Spanish Moss) in honor of Fishbanjo Day.

Duane
    (Not Embers)
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's quite a meer, dcon.

Who made it?

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

LOL, yeah pretty lengthy description

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. augiebd

augiebd

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey with David's Executive Blend in a 1962 Dunhill root briar lovat.
    As a new member who has been visiting regularly for a number of years, I feel it is important to pay my respects.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keeping it smokey in the Austrian Tyrol! Internet is too slow to post a photo, but rest assured, I've an Andreas Bauer Meer, loaded with some nice HU Director's Cut (but also just smoked Ratrays Blossom Temptation and HU Haddes Best Irish) overlooking this magnificent mountain country. There is a festival of sorts playing music down below.

Here's to you Fishnbanjo! Our job is to live life to the fullest as it appears you did.
    You only live once and then it's gone.

"He said, life's a tune you whistle in the dark
    When you get it right, you get a little spark
    And the sun comes up and it all dawns on you" -Guy Clark

Seldom Seen
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keeping it smokey with some SG Best Brown Flake in a Savinelli Punto Oro Gold “canadian “.

Tim
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a handsome bunch.

Still keeping it smoky with some Pegasus in a Peterson Tankard Army Mount.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I like those pete tankards. I use a nickel mounted one as my hunting/fishing pipe. That and some cobs of course.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still trapped in my dungeon on a beautiful day.

Still keeping it (barely) smoky, however, with some Bullseye Flake in my first "real" pipe, a Stanwell 185.

For its size, this thing is a great clencher and 2 flakes fit like a glove.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Going to bump this one for Banjo! Come on people, let's keep this going for Sante! Keeping it Smokey with some McLelland 40th Anniversary in the trusty Peterson Irish Harp 606.......Sorry, no hat or shades, but right now it's all I got!

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

chilly65

Login to Send PM

I never knew the man, nor had any interaction with him. If you really want to honor him, you might consider working with a pipe maker to make a commemorative pipe with special stamping. I did this twice. Once with Peterson to honor Peter WD on Smokers Forum UK. We had subscriptions for about 80 pipes in two shapes in several finishes. The silver bands were stamped with PeterWD and the years of his birth and death. I organized another special pipe after Bill Taylor died. Jimmmy Craig produced about 30 sandblasted billiards with silver bands and a nice hard case with a silver plaque.

If any of you feel so inclined to organize a commission, it might be a nice way to remember the man.

Posted 1 month ago #
  20. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I never knew the man, nor had any interaction with him. If you really want to honor him, you might consider working with a pipe maker to make a commemorative pipe with special stamping. I did this twice. Once with Peterson to honor Peter WD on Smokers Forum UK. We had subscriptions for about 80 pipes in two shapes in several finishes. The silver bands were stamped with PeterWD and the years of his birth and death. I organized another special pipe after Bill Taylor died. Jimmmy Craig produced about 30 sandblasted billiards with silver bands and a nice hard case with a silver plaque.

If any of you feel so inclined to organize a commission, it might be a nice way to remember the man.

This is actually an excellent idea.

Posted 1 month ago #
  21. derhammer

derhammer

Login to Send PM

late to the party

sorry, don't have a hat

Pierre
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wait, what? Fishbanjo passed away? OMG ... i missed that, it seemed like yesterday he posted a pic with another new pipe ... so sad to hear What happened, I know the man was recovering from cancer !?

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 month ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

jzbdano

Login to Send PM

Pierre, That's a solid Banjo pic with the sun in your face, sunglasses on, nice little plume of smoke, trees and blue skies in the background. You nailed it!

My pipe smoking has really slowed down lately between hot weather in Central California and busy with work/family. This thread is encouraging me to fire up a bowl in one of my favorite pipes. Pic to follow of course.

Posted 1 month ago #
  24. timelord

timelord

Login to Send PM

Trying to keep it smokey but timing was off...

Peterson Aran Rusticated with GL Pease Westminster (hat is an Akubra Snowy River, no idea what the tree is but it's winter here so it's nice to see some colour in the greenery)

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still waiting for my FBD hat to arrive in the mail....

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well ... keep it smokey!

Posted 1 month ago #
  27. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Better late than never. Here's to you Banjo!

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You won't be the last, Craig.

I'm STILL waiting for my FNB Day hat I ordered in June.

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. pepesdad1

pepesdad1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sante was a true hero and a hell of a good human being. His generosity known only to those who received it...he absolutely refused to advertise his good heart/generosity.

They say in war that some gave and some gave all...Sante gave all and lived his life as if every day was the last...sadly his has ended. RIP, my brother.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

Late to the game, but here I am keepin it smokey for Sante this morning in front of the larch I planted on my place, with some Smokers' Haven 'Our Best Blend' in my trusty Old England 13.

Non Serviam
    Posted 1 month ago #
  31. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Bumping the thread and keeping it smokey for Sante. Breaking in my new Randy Wiley Patina Briar Calabash with some RO Firestorm in my lonely dark smoke shack in the woods.......

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  32. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just began the process with ebay to get my funds returned for the "fishnbanjo day" hat I ordered. Turns out to be a deadbeat seller.

So, my FBD hat pic will come at some random time, days or weeks in the future, as my disrupted income and mobility will allow.

How's the briar toilet seat pipe smoke?

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  33. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Bummer about the hat! The briar toilet seat is.......well...... the shit! Haha. An excellent smoker, and that fat chunk of flame grain with a fat lip feels amazing in the hand. A straight flush as far as I’m concerned!

In all seriousness though, it’s an excellent smoker. Nice big chamber is actually somewhat conical, smoked very well, great with the RO. Going to be hard to resist buying more Wiley pipes in the near future. Damn wife. Really want one of his Galleon pots......resisting another toilet pun....

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  34. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, you must resist allowing your funds to go into the toilet...

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  35. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not much with photos, as in zero, so I will have to go with my avatar, which is at least me with a pipe. Hail to fish', his brave presence and his vast stable of extraordinary pipes. Thanks to him for my first Meerschaum, an estate straight billiard with wine grape etchings. In pipes, he had them all from cobs, to exquisite briar, to bamboo in great variety, and morta. You name it.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  36. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

RIP Sorry to hear that. He will be missed.

(Craig, Hawkeye's daughter and me seem to be the only folks without a beard). lol

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  37. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

Remembering Sante...

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  38. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey and bumping the thread with some Nording Hunter's Blend Labrador in the Old Dominion Richmond Cob while doing a little grilling in the Alaskan sunshine. Widest chamber I've found on a cob at .88. Which rocks.

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  39. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't have a fishing hat but here is a selfie smoking a pipe !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  40. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ain't got no fishin' hat but hope this would qualify, someone of my pals 'took this while we were at all incl. corporative lunch at the seaside restaurant, Keep 'em damn things smokey boys, ' RIP Dear Mr. Fishin Banjo'
    Ps.Waiters who were in shift may have thought TX Rangers was in,lol

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 weeks ago #
  41. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A most Sante worthy hat and location!

Posted 3 weeks ago #
  42. p40warhawk

p40warhawk

Login to Send PM

Damn, if I weren't at work without a hat, I'd join in....

But I have promises to Keep and Miles to go before I Sleep, and Miles to go before I sleep..
    Robert Frost
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  43. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey in a fishing village outside Bergen, Norway. Esoterica Cardiff in an Erik Nielson straight grain. Glass of Aqua Vita nearby to toast the man in question.

Posted 1 week ago #
  44. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey while camping on the Resurrection Riverbed before doing some Halibut and Salmon fishing near Seward, Alaska. Frog on the log (while literally sitting on a log) in the Savinelli Impero Smooth 111KS. Love the straight grain on this pipe (although the pic doesn't show it off that well) and the little green swirl acrylic and nickel accent. A fine smoker at a great price and no bowl coating to boot.

Posted 1 week ago #
  45. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was not around to know about this when it happened this year. Been so busy with life, I never got back here to check in much. It might be late, but better late than never. Keeping it smokey with a little trafalgar in my radiator with a Morgan Bones bowl.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 1 week ago #
  46. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey outside of Sorenson's tobacco in Bergen Norway. Being from Chicago and a patron of Iwan Ries, this is my second 4th generation family owned tabacconist.

This same picture was taken by 4 separate tourists before I left the storefront. Apparently a chap enjoying a pipe outside a pipe shop is a remarkable thing to some eyes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  47. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Keeping it smokey in a cottage in Lappland, Finland. After a full day (in fishbsnjo style, I hope) of fishing (lake, far background), sauna (mid-background), and eating of fish in bbq house (foreground and best idea ever), enjoying a bowl of Sørensen's Virginia in a Design Berlin Commander. It's 10pm, and still light enough for this photography.

Posted 1 week ago #
  48. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Looks like quite the fun trip you are on. Always wanted to visit Scandinavia but haven't made it yet. That last pic is a dead ringer for Alaska

Posted 1 week ago #
  49. chilllucky

chilllucky

Login to Send PM

Dude, these bbq huts _have_ to come to the States. Alaska seems like the ideal proving ground. We are definitely wrapping one up into our plans for the little parcel we've got in Wisconsin.

Posted 1 week ago #
  50. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

That looks absolutely radical. And could definitely double as a smoking palace

Posted 1 week ago #
  51. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Always wanted to visit Scandinavia but haven't made it yet.

Finland is not Scandinavia! I learned this, very sternly, when a young Finnish woman was my romantic traveling partner (years before I met my wife).

Anyhow, I've encountered something similar to these huts in Germany and they are very nice! Gets you out of the wind and extends the barbecue season. I enjoyed some nice barbecue and drinks after a bit of Nordic skiing in such a structure.

Posted 1 week ago #
  52. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

In English usage, Scandinavia also sometimes refers to the Scandinavian Peninsula, or to the broader region including Finland and Iceland, which is always known locally as the Nordic countries.

In English usage it is. In local usage it is not. I'm sure people there are sensitive to this issue though, so I'll keep that in mind. Regardless, if you scroll up you will see that his trip also included Norway (at least), which would qualify under either usage, and my point remains the same, I want to get there.

Posted 1 week ago #
  53. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Your unattributed quote notwithstanding, it is incorrect to refer to Finland as Scandinavian.

I didn't know that once, now I definitely do.

Don't say I didn't warn you when you tell a cute Finnish woman that you'd love to visit her homeland in Scandinavia!

Posted 1 week ago #
  54. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

The quote is from everyone's favorite non-scholarly source, wikipedia. It is indeed incorrect to refer to Finland as a Scandinavian country, I do not disagree on that point, but it in the English language, of which I am a native speaker, it is commonplace to refer to any country that occupies part of the Scandinavian Peninsula (which portions of Finland do, specifically the portion he is visiting) as part of Scandinavia. Again, I'm sure it is very different in Europe where people are more sensitive to the issue, or for those from the region, and as I said above, I'll keep that in mind.

And again, I was referencing his entire trip in general, which as you'll see above, included Norway, which I think we can all agree, IS Scandinavian. But thank you for pointing it out, it is a helpful reminder that when speaking with Finnish people they will likely be sensitive to the issue.

Posted 1 week ago #
  55. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 week ago #
  56. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 week ago #
  57. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Keeping it smokey with a surprise smoke break in the heart of downtown metropolitan Palmer, Alaska with some Esoterica Blackpool in the MM Washington....

Posted 5 days ago #
  58. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Smoking a bowl of Peterson Special Reserve 2016 in a meerschaum. I think Fishbanjo would approved of the cap...

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 4 days ago #
  59. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking almost ready for the season, Santa!

Posted 4 days ago #
  60. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My buddy Fred and I keeping it smoky. RIP Banjo.

"Each of you be a light unto yourself; betake yourself to no external refuge. Hold fast to the Truth. Look not for refuge to anyone beside yourself." -The Buddha
    Posted 3 days ago #
  61. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first time using the album function here on the site to post a photo. Didn't know it would resize it so small. Is there an easy fix ?

Posted 3 days ago #
  62. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Keeping it Smokey (and silly) for Sante with some Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs (amazing tobacco!) in the Castello 55 Sea Rock Briar KKKK with the birdseye rim (amazing flake/plug pipe!). A little Kirk and Sweeney 23 year Rum and some Surly Brewing Darkness Imperial Stout keeping me company in the Alaskan twilight on a peaceful night in the valley.....

Posted 3 days ago #
  63. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1000 posts! You got there quick. Prost!

Posted 3 days ago #
  64. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

1000 posts! You got there quick. Prost!

Shit! Didn't even realize that! Prost indeed! Apparently I have a pipe problem........

Posted 3 days ago #
  65. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You need to open the thumbnail to the full sized image and get the URL of that.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 days ago #
  66. troutface

troutface

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for fixing that.

Posted 2 days ago #
  67. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

Decent looking Bull. I'll be looking for one this weekend.

Posted 2 days ago #
  68. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Without question the best thread I've ever seen here. Keep it up, gents.

Posted 2 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts, bluegrassbrian, bnichols23, lestrout, cosmicfolklore, the85boro, carolinachurchwarden, jchaplick