Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
There are many words that are connected to pipe smoking. One of my favorites is lunting, walking with a pipe. But we need a new one. Here in ND the weather is insane. To the south a gigantic storm just unleashed, hail, lightning and tornadoes! Im far enough away that Im safe, and I just smoked watching the lightning. It was beautiful! It was striking every second. Sometimes the whole sky lit up. This is a fun practice and we need a word for it. I nominate, stormsmoke.
For those concerned, some coworkers were near the worst of it. I don't think anybody was hurt by the tornado, but it sounds like the hail has cracked a windshield or two. Nothing serious, just nature doing her thing.

Aug 1, 2012
These might not translate as intended but here goes.
Pfeifensturm
Donnerpfeif
Blitzenpfeif/Blitzpfeif
(Storm stuff just seems better in German.)

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Love smoking outside during a storm, especially at night. I have a large covered patio, so near the back corner is a great viewing spot with no chance of getting wet.
I'll vote for @12pup's "thunderpuffin' "
I hate making up words for the sake of making up words. Like how the media combines every celebrity couple into a stupid combo (Benifer -Ben Affleck/Jennifer Lopez-, Kimye -Kim Kardashian/Kanye West-) or add "gate" to anyscandal.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
I like thunderpuffin' and blitzenpfeif. What about "smokin' lightnin'"?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I lived in Grand Forks, ND for a year and a half (It felt like 10-years in jail). I was doing the PA for a minor league baseball team up there in July of 1996. A storm blew through and unleashed the biggest dadgum chunks of grapefruit sized hail I ever saw. My car suffered $2,500 in damage and I think every car in that little town that wasn't in a garage also suffered damage.
Anyway, I'd call smoking a pipe in such conditions "PeePuffing." North Dakota weather does cause incontinence, especially to those new to the state.
Pipestud

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I like "sky piping" - it has a 60's counterculture vibe to it.
@LoneStar - Forgive me, but "thunderbowl" kind of makes me think of a toilet....

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Like this one alot too ,"Thorburn". I like alot of them some sound really German.

Status
Not open for further replies.