PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012
Great thread here!
Inspired by luntin' - here's a few more Scots vocables...
Pluffing of reeke = smoking a pipe
hence, in a storm = stermpluffing
....there are many variants of spelling with storm, as with most Scots words.
EGGLE, v. Add: Also of weather: to worsen, threaten to become stormy

REEK = smoke, a variant is REK

hence,

egglanrek
Thunder smoke could become

thunnersmuk
blashie - wet & windy

hence,

blashpype
gouster - of weather, etc.: dark and stormy , tempestuous; frightful, wet and windy

hence,

gowsterbole
snurlysmoake
Fun stuff!
It's interesting to look thru the olde archaic lexicons.
...to rain auld wives an pipe-stapples,

to rain “cats and dogs” (s.Sc. 1825 Jam.)
But for borrowed beauty oot o’ a bottle, I wadna gie ye a pipe y dottle!
Lunt yer pipe reek up the lum.
Find your pouch an’ ye ha’e a bit end o’ ‘bacco, an’ fill the pipe , and we’ll ha’e a blast wi’ Willie.
---
This here is a really good Scots dictionary:

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/
The word "lunt" has a large entry, and by reading it you come to understand the term further.
The word "smoke" has many variations.
I love reading the usage extracts too!
Search under "full entry" instead of "headword form" and you get many more hits...

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Gichin Funakoshi was the man who introduced people outside Okinawa to Karate. People in Shuri tell stories that during typhoons, while everyone else was inside waiting for it to pass, young Gichin could be found on his roof holding a tatami mat against the wind to improve his horse stance. This is my go to mental imagery for braving a storm, I think I will now have to add a pipe to his mouth thanks to this thread.
Do I get a special term for Alaska? Smoking a pipe in a storm is one thing, but at 40 below zero.... So far blitzenpfeif and squallenvisage get my vote.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Hey there B&B, whereabouts in ND do you live? I hunt out there every October and we stay in Steele. We have friends in Kidder that own and lease massive amounts of land and we love it out there, in October anyway, lol. It's hard to keep a cigar from burning down on one side from the ever present winds out there and I've never tried smoking my pipes while bird hunting but there's a first time for everything so maybe I'll take some along this year. Are there any B&M's in Bismark?

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Hey Setters, I technically live in Montana, Im an hour from Williston but I work all over west ND. I l've never been to Bismarck, but I'd bet you theres not much for piping there. Williston is a big town for ND and I cant even find OTCs.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Not surprising but there's a pretty good size mall in Bismark that I have not fully explored on our occasional trips into the city. It's great that the region is booming but I'll someday mourn the fact that it used to be a place where you could go for days without seeing anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.