PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm looking for an affodable volcano, but I'm curious how well they smoke, and who makes the nicest ones (for a reasonable price). Also, are all volcanos paneled, that is to say, flat on the sides? I didn't even realize they were flat until I saw a paneled volcano on eBay. Thanks for your attention.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparrowhawk, you might at least consider the Peterson B11, which is most often identified as a brandy, but also sometimes explained as being close to a volcano. This is a bent pipe and a sitter. I have one in ebony in the Killarney series with two thin silver bands, and a Shannon version with grain. True, this might not be quite volcano enough for you, but at least take a look. I've seen non-panel volcanos, but I don't remember the maker. Recently, Iwan Ries had a B11 at a really good price, if it's still there. I think SP may have one in the Dalkey series.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would recommend getting a Briar Works Icarus Volcano. They are nicely priced and great smokers. I picked up a black sandblast from Smokers Haven awhile back and its part of the regular rotation. It took a few bowls to break in but wow, I am impressed. Once these vet bills are taken care of, I plan on getting another is a light sandblast.
Icarus Volcano
Edit. Sorry, this link is to the whole Icarus line SPC has in stock.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why, no, not all are paneled. Some curve, and fit the palm quite nicely. Icarus makes some volcanos below $200. Below are mine. The smooth was made by myself, and the blast is one of my Bruce Weaver pieces.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15645

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thsnks for the tips. Saw this one on eBay, what do you think:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moretti-Pipe-Fantastic-Volcano-Super-Magnum-No-Reserve-/301570119068?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4636fad59c

No doubt it'll go for a pretty penny, but it's almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No doubt is right. Been seeing alot of Marco's work going for well above $200 lately. I have one of his magnums and love it though. Good luck, that looks to be a fine pipe!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Those volcanos of yours are none too shabby. Wouldn't want to part with one of them, would you. :)

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
sparrowhawk, I follow all the Moretti auctions and you would be shocked at how affordable some of the pipes wind up being. It almost always seems a shame for how so few dollars some of these beautiful pipes go for. Keep your eye out and you could get one of his beautiful volcanos for under $200.
j/B

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I think I like the volcano I've already bid on because it actually looks like a volcano. I don't know if I can work myself up to $200--I may have to put it on my charge. I rarely spend that kind of money on a pipe. But as its grip grows, who knows...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen, how high should I go in getting this pipe on eBay? I think I can make myself do $130, beyond that depends on other factors, the rep of the maker, how well this maker's pipes typically smoke, etc?

s-l1600-600x450.jpg

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I have a Peterson B11 ebony Killarney as mentioned by @mso489 and I can second it as a good pipe. It has been a very dependable pipe so far on my short piping journey.
edit: yikes, it's nothing like the pic you posted above!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
- Those volcanos of yours are none too shabby. Wouldn't want to part with one of them, would you.
Just noticed that post. :mrgreen: Both are quite special. One is the first pipe I made, and the other is my first Weaver commission.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If you have never seen one of Moretti's magnums in person, this should give you an idea how huge they are!
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/chasingembers/album/picture/15722
I got that one from Marco's ebay shop for $133 but have seen them go for much more. They do smoke great, and I can get about a 2 1/2 hour smoke out of mine.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You must have jaws of steel! Let's hope my volcano stays at around the #130 mark--I'm not sure how popular volcanos are.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
I think the volcano that chasingembers made himself is one of the coolest shapes I've seen. If you ever get sick of it let me know. :)
As far as the Moretti volcano goes I'd expect it to hit $200 or more. His magnum's tend to draw a lot of attention during bids.
Just forget about the ebay link that chasingembers posted earlier. I hear that volcano is cracked and smells funny. I wouldn't even bother bidding on that one. :)
To your original question...I'm not really sure what exactly to look for when purchasing a volcano. I think of all the defined pipe shapes you'll find the most variety in volcano pipes. I own 3 of them now and they all smoke well. The one thing I'd look out for are thin walls. I see a lot of volcano designs with pretty thin walls and I'd be concerned for their longevity.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think some of these great volcano shape pipes will steer some members to get their first. It looks like some of the more dramatic volcanos have quite a bit of briar in the bowl and stem. Are most of these in the heavy category? I think I've seen some that are somewhat more spare. I think the big ones would be great for smoking mostly in hand, but not so much for clenching. If you make a decision, sparrowhawk, let us know what you get.

bernie2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2015
chasingembers - I can see a little Weaver influence in your pipe, but you put a great twist on that design. I'm not sure how many pipes you've made...I'm a big fan of your work based on the one that I've seen.
There is a really cool sandblasted Weaver 2010 volcano on eBay now that ends in about a day. I think it will go well over $300 before the auction ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.