PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnusx1

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Ok guys, I haven't been around in quite some time but I'm back and have to ask. I love Escudo. I have been told it is a VaPer. I really liked it a lot. So with that said, what else would be a good choice? I have been told solani 633 and h&h anniversary. Any others?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome out of the black hole! :clap: Missed your posts.
Anni Kake is sweeter and spicier than Escudo, darker tasting, and not as grassy -- not that I want to imply that Escudo is sharp in any way. Solani 633 features a bright Virginia, and is closer to Escudo than is Anni Kake.
I'm sure someone here will mention Dunhill Navy Rolls, a very good VaPer in the style of Escudo. Fine, but it is sooo similar to Escudo that you may find it an expensive duplication of effort in your VaPer quest.
One of my favorites is SG's St. James Flake: dark, steam pressed (I think), creamy and rich tasting.
There are many, many worthy VaPer's out there -- not the least of which is H&H's Louisiana Red which, as the name implies, is based on red Virginia.
A very popular Vaper, which features Perique's plummy side is 4noggins' Prairie Wind -- hands down, one of my top favorites.
You may want to check out a post by a guy named Slow Triathlete who did a VaPer Showdown, in which he compared and reviewed a couple dozen Vaper's. I think his posts are very informative, and well worth the effort (altho he skipped Esoterica Dunbar and McClelland St. James Woods, which should be at the top of anybody's list :oops: ). Samcoffeeman lists the outcome of those reviews in his thread summary.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Let me add Daughter and Ryan's Rimbouche' SJ, Brigham's Acadian Blend, and add a +1 for Esoterica's Dunbar

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I'm a big fan of GLP Fillmore, which is a deeper, darker VaPer.

I've recently gotten to like Former's Straight Grain Flake. It's a sweet aged VaPer flake with almost an apple taste to it. And, it's not marketed very well, so the tins are usually aged a bit. And the price is very reasonable, $6 for a 50g tin at my local B&M. So, I bet you can find it much cheaper online, if that's your thing.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Perique exhibits a range of flavors with Escudo on one end and something like Marlin Flake on the other.
If you liked Escudo, I would recommend GL Pease Fillmore and Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.
On the opposite side of the flavor spectrum (plummy rather than spicey), I would recommend Rattray's Marlin Flake and H&H Anniversary Kake.
For a good hybrid with some natural Cavendish sweetness complementing the spicey Perique, I would recommend Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and Peterson Irish Oak.
For a kitchen sink hybrid with plenty of Perique, I would recommend GL Pease Haddo's Delight and Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Just smoked my first bowl of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. Started my Vaper journey with GLP's Filmore and found it a little too much for my newbie tastebuds. The Bullseye is pure smoking pleasure. Baby steps, baby steps... :D

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've been comparing Escudo and Dunhill Navy Rolls for the last few weeks. I've noticed that the Navy Rolls have a bit of nuttiness to the taste that's missing in Escudo. Anyone else notice this? Do you guys know of any other VaPers or Virginias with some nuttiness?

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Nevermind--I just found the "Nutty Tasting Tobaccos" thread from a few months ago. Thanks.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/nutty-tasting-tobacco

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
For a great Va/Per, I would second the H&H Louisiana Red.
Also, just yesterday, I finally tried H&H Virginia Spice and can say ... yes! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.