PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Is it me or is the post office's tracking completely unreliable?

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Is it me or is the post office's tracking completely unreliable?
They are nearly useless. I've had arrivals dates missed, tracking is mediocre at best. No where near as good as UPS or FedEx. What can you do? I guess they just don't have the money or infrastructure to do it well.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
The problem is their delivery is the fastest for cheapest so I guess I can't complain too much...

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
i know if you order something from P&C they provide accurate details on the shipping from usps. i have had no problems in that regard.
mike.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's only safe if you have a tracking number, signature confirmation, and insure it.
If you don't get all that... you're rolling the dice and hoping you don't get snake eyes.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I work at a college campus PO and anything that comes Postal is not very dependable. Things are misshipped to us all the time. Only a signature confirmation will save you on a postal package.
-Jason

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
i know if you order something from P&C they provide accurate details on the shipping from usps. i have had no problems in that regard.
Being in Canada and placing orders with American vendors, the USPS tracking is pretty dismal overall and it usually stops at the US/CAN border and Canada Post seems not to take over from that point. However, I have found that P&C's orders have great USPS tracking for the entire journey.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Hey slownumber, if you copy the tracking number for the USPS on your P&C order and then enter the same tracking number on the Canada Post website it tracks it as well, and much more reliably I must add.

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
Hey slownumber, if you copy the tracking number for the USPS on your P&C order and then enter the same tracking number on the Canada Post website it tracks it as well, and much more reliably I must add.
You are indeed correct, I see that I did not explain very well in my previous post. :?
P&C has great tracking with USPS and with Canada Post....works like a dream following orders. I have tried the same thing with Smoking Pipes and 4Noggins and the tracking stops at the US border and you cannot track it usiing Canada Post for the remainder of the journey. Not sure what the difference is, but the way that P&C does it works really well.

Dec 24, 2012
The difference is you are using first class mail with 4noggins and SP - first class only tracks to the border. Priority and express mail tracks all the way through. P&C wont use first class (which is why their shipping charges are higher).

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
I find that the USPS doesn't update as quickly as FedEx or ups. I've woken up and checked the number to find it has not yet arrived... To upstairs and my package is sitting in the kitchen table.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I think the USPS tracking is spotty because the workers don't care much if they scan at each point. Sometimes I send things and see every state they hit (more or less) and others I see it bit my state's distribution center and don't see anything else till its "out for delivery". Very frustrating.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
The problem with my USPS orders are that it will show a delivery date, but it may sit at my post office for a day or two while they tear the wrapped stacks apart and set-up for the carriers. Now realize they use a lot of what they call transient carriers to skirt the union employment scales. They can work for six months and then have to take three off and can apply for another six months all at minimum wage, no benefits. I’ve had my package walked down to me from a neighbor a day or so later a few times.
They also have this region thing going on, now this may have been in effect for a long time, I don’t ship a lot. But I shipped a couple books (TWOT) to some member’s and these are heavy, and cost under $2, then a much lower weight package of tobacco, same exact box and was told it was region 2 and ended up costing me $5. This person lives by a major city so I’ve no idea what that’s about. I’ll be going back to only UPS from now on.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
It's in here somewere. :rofl:
post_office_630x_zps86a815bb.jpg

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Well they've apparently only received my shipping info from P&C since Friday which I doubt. I'll post on here when package comes vs what USPS says. Like I said. They are saying that a pipe I received 2 weeks ago (the one I'm about to go pack) left Cleveland and still hasn't been delivered. USPS tracking seems as useful as tits on a bull at this point..,
Update. Haha! Tracking update. My tobacco is now in Springfield Mass. East of Albany NY where it mailed. I live near Cleveland... Sigh...

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
I order from SP with USPS shipping and usually get 2 locations in South Carolina, then Miami, FL and usually a few days later I get it (I live in Canada by the way, no idea why it heads south? :?)

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Interesting. I've shipped perhaps 20 or so pipes in the last six months. USPS Priority tracking has always been dead-on, including the two I sent last week. I track the number on the USPS site, then sign my email up for future updates. So far, it's been 100% to include hitting the day of delivery stamped on my receipt. In a few cases, the package was delivered the day before the anticipated day of delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.