Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Tobacco Storage Troubles

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

So I bought some relatively cheap glass jars that I thought had a pretty good seal... However when I walk past the area I get the delightful smell of the tobacco... Does this mean the jars are not as air tight as I had hoped? I also found some mason jars while cleaning my room, however I really don't have enough tobacco to justify using them. Any recommendations on maybe improving the seal or maybe a better way of storing small amounts (about a 50g tins worth) of tobacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm fairly sure that if you're smelling tobacco in your storage area, your "relatively cheap" glass jars are not doing the job.

I've been using Ball or Mason brand screw-top canning jars (as many here do) for many years and never had a problem.

I use the 8 ounce size (236 ml) and they hold about 2-3 ounces of tobacco, depending on the blend. I use this size because one jar contains about a pouch full of tobacco so I can smoke that and keep the other jars sealed and well preserved to age as long as I want or open & smoke whenever I feel like it.

Wal-Mart sells a case of 12 Ball jars like I use for around $8. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-8-oz-Regular-Mouth-Jelly-Jars-12pk/16213255

Ball also makes wide-mouth, squatter 8 ounce canning jars as well that stack better (and some like the look better). http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-8-oz-Collection-Jars-4pk/16213253

If you prefer even smaller, there's also what Ball calls a "Jelly Gift Jar" that half that size -- those smaller jars might hold all or most of a 50g tin. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-4-oz-Quilted-Crystal-Jelly-Jars-12-Pack/17203435

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smell tobacco near a shelf full of factory sealed cans. Makes you wonder.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

rayje589

Login to Send PM

Thanks rothnh. I took a trip to Walmart and did manage to find the smaller jars. I didn't have a full tin of either of my tobaccos but the fuller of the two managed to fit so I would have to say all or almost of all of a 50g tin fits in these. As much a I will miss smelling the tobacco randomly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. scurvydog

scurvydog

Login to Send PM

I use those small mason jars, the 8oz collections jars for flakes. They work great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Happy to hear those smaller screw-top jars work for you Rayje!

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Don't cheap out on your jars, but I probably wouldn't worry too too much about smelling the tobacco.

I find a faint trace of tobacco smell on all of my sealed tins (and you better believe that I have checked to see if they've popped) and I think a lot of it stems from an external tobacco smell on those tins from time spent in warehouses and etailer shelves. I may be wrong, but it is too common in my experience to worry about...

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cosmicfolklore, natibo, jiminks, shaintiques, cobguy, buzkirk, captainsousie, fadingdaylight, escioe, igloo, rmason, arabpipesmoker, petes03, jdmack09, bruceliu926, dread, wilson, settersbrace