PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
I was just wondering how many here keep a tobacco "journal" of some kind that they write down thoughts on tobaccos that they try. I have been thinking about getting a 6" x 6" journal for this. I haven't smoked a lot of different tobaccos, maybe 20-30, but I find I am already having trouble remembering what tastes where from which tobaccos.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I am starting to use Tobacco Cellar, as I am used and happy to use cellartracker for my wine collection.
Recommended, even if it has room to improve.

grizzly86

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2012
That is a pretty good idea for keeping track of inventory. I was wondering more if any one keeps records such as: Any mans Tobacco by Redneck Industries smooth, cool burning, slightly sweet, peppery, good all day smoke, buy more of this. Really hope to have enough tobacco one day that the site you posted comes in handy. Thanks for the input.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I write up a review of many of the tobaccos I smoke if I can focus on them enough to make sense. Usually I "save" these reviews by posting them at LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com. Always available there, plus LTR has the tin descriptions posted, and other people may have penned their thoughts too. Works for me! :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I keep a paper journal. Under ideal circumstances, when I first smoke a new blend, I make notes of my impressions. I frequently have the tin description noted. Much later (usually) in the process, I rate the blend. I originally used the 4 star method at tobaccoreviews.com, but have switched to a 1-10 scale. I have gone through the note recently, trying to decide what blends I want to buy more of that might not be fresh in my mind. :puffy:

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Years ago I kept a paper journal.Over time I eliminated types of tobacco that I didn't like.Straight Virginia,and alcohol flavored aromatics are examples.I've also found that I don't especially like some brands of tobacco. These days if I know who made a blend and what tobaccos are in it I can pretty much tell if I will like it or not.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
When I visited the CPCC show in 2000 (or was it 2001?) I traded a magazine subscription with a guy who just started publishing tobacco journals: nicely bound books on app. A4-size like a ship's log, with ample room on every page to make notes on the tobaccos you smoked, in what pipe and what your experiences were. I think he was called Busey or something, but I'm not sure. I gave mine away, but I'll try to get hold of the name.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Gary perhaps :lol: I have been thinking about starting a journal but it will probably be on my computer so I can update my feelings about a blend. I tend to change my mind often.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I keep the paper journal for anything I dont like (at first) or not decided about. Now if I smoke it and its a home run, dont feel the need to write it down.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I still haven't taught myself to use Excel, but I made a table on word and state the name of the tobacco, what kind of leaf is in there, color, smells, flavor profile, rate it from 1-10, notate if it's worth cellaring.
Really whatever I can think of but I try to keep it brief. No use for long winded paragraphs. Sweet Short and to the Point.
K.I.S.S. 8)
The damn thing needs to be updated though... and with the box pass samples... I'll need all 3 days of the weekend... all 3 days.....

beewrangler2

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2012
I also use Pipe cellar program and my better half got me Pipe Smoker Unleashed for my birthday. Unleased is okay after you manually set everything up, its got a smoking log and a journal application. I Like the Cellar program, because most everything is already pre-loaded as far as blends go.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@grizzly...funny you mention this. To date I have not kept a "journal" but I have been thinking about it.
I haven't quite decided on format yet.

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
I've taken a liking to using a composition book, one of those ones you can buy during the back to school sales for about 50 cents, and I dedicate one page, usually leaving a little less then half of the page for later evaluations, to each new blend rate it on a 1 - 10 scale and if its good, usually 7 and up on the scale, I will usually buy a tin to age and try it again, writing a new description and giving a new rating at that point if it changes to a higher score it will likely earn a spot in my awesome cooler errr :oops: I meant super awesome cellar to age. Blends that make it into the cellar have a mark at the top of the page and if it becomes a favorite it gets a different marking at the top, maybe my system is a little overkill but it works great for me.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I have a binder in the garage that I document every tobacco I buy. The list contain's only the tobaccos I really like. The second list; The questionable tobaccos they get a question mark. Then I have the do NOT reorder list.
I always keep my tobaccos. I have them arranged by, good in front, bad in the back. Months later,I will need to re-sample a blend, I pick one from the back and smoke another bowl. I do this until the tobacco is gone. Then document that in the never to buy again column. I have a lot of tobacco. Trying to find my favorites. I love the English blends mainly. Balkans are great to.
I'd never remember if I didn't write this info down. I also write down the Store and what I paid for that tin or ounce. Just to monitor price changes and new shipping charges if they change. It's only a minute or so to write this down. Nice to know information.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I keep a diary on a WORD document. Have logged 113 different tobaccos that I have tried, plus different notes about pipe lore and blending and such that I have picked up over the years. I also keep a list of what I have open, and what I have in my cellar. My TAD list is on a seperate document, easy to print for those seeking gift ideas. :D

gahboo

Lurker
May 20, 2012
I started using a personal blog on wordpress.com. You can create a posting for each tobacco, then come back and leave comments for each posting. Since I am so new to pipe smoking, I decided to get organized from the start. I have tried about 30 blends so far and it is amamzing how my taste is developing and my impressions are changing as my technique gets better. There are a lot of blends that sucked initially that I think totally differently about now.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
If you're gonna do it, do it on Word and back it up online in case your computer fails. Wordpress or Blogger are great for that, if you don't have your own web site. It would be curious to see ones' experiences who started now and published his work in 2022.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
i just found this thread, i've been thinking of doing this myself. I have a bunch of little black sketch books, i was thinking of keeping like an illustrated journal of pipe smoking. Good to see how everyone else formats what they keep note of. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never kept track before but since I went to the tobacco cellar link, I put in a couple and will fill it out completely over the next few days. It is going to take a while. I like the idea of knowing exactly what I have and when I bought it. Thanks for the link carlosviet, very cool idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.