PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I got up this morning and was going to whine about rain, grey skys, and 43 degrees (typical PNW weather - usually year round). Then, I turned on the news and saw what you're going through. At that point I was ready to go kiss a mud puddle.
Be safe and take care - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You Mainers get it bad. Here in Michigan we are sort of snowed in, but not as bad as surrounding states. But we Michigainians are hardy and can usually endure the rapid changes in the weather, but boy, old age makes it tougher.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
In Ottawa.....-27 C, -38 windchill...... Unfortunately on my day off im venturing out there. This is at 10am.....i can imagine what it was at 6am when I usually leave for work....hahahaha

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
11 degrees here in Bethlehem, Pa with wind chill at about -6. About 6 inches of blowing snow. A real delight. Spring is only 2 1/2 months away.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The east coast is getting hit hard with snow right now. Here in Chicago we picked up about 8" -- relatively doable; but in a couple of days they're calling for a high temperature of -10°F (-23°C). Yeow!

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
We got about 5" in Dayton yesterday. It's 0 degrees F out right now. I'm having trouble getting my body shop up to temperature to run my paint booth today. The snow is great for collision business.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
We got about 6" of snow in Columbus, Ohio and its sitting at 2 degrees. Early next week its supposed be below zero with windchill at -40. I don't remember the last time its been that cold with the wind. Oddly, tomorrow and Sunday its supposed to be in the high 30's only to drop down to single digits Monday.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
After seeing the pictures and reading about the temps, I really am glad my old bones don't have to cope with your weather!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Snowy and cold here in Connecticut with -10 expected tonight. I make it a point never to complain about the cold. When I was in Vietnam, I always felt that if I got to a place where it was cold, I would be safe. When I left Vietnam on February 1, 1970, I stepped off the plane and could see my breath in the air and for the first time in a year I felt safe. Then I moved to Winnipeg where the temp would be -30 for weeks at a time, with regular excursions to -40,, and I felt really safe. So I never complain about the cold.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife moved down from Long Island three years ago and greatly misses the New York area; she

lived in Greenwich Village for many years. However, this morning, maybe she's feeling more at home

here in North Carolina. Still, it's in the 20's and headed down to the high teens tonight, before it gets

up to a balmy 40's in a few days. Fortunately, the incoming dry air and wind soaked up most of the

film of rain so it didn't turn to ice before the cold descended, but that wind makes if feel much colder.

I grew up in the Chicago area, and they're having some real cold up there, my family reports. In

Chicago, I contended when the temp hit nine below I could walk anywhere in the city. I know blizzards

and I know cold, but Southern ice is deadly (I say from bitter experience).

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks PG. It's been below zero for the past few days here in VT (and I am talking about the high for the day!) Tonight they're predicting -30F!
And yet, temps are predicted to skyrocket to nearly 40 deg in the next couple of days.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm in Ottawa like skapunk, and I am so blessed to have a job where I can work from home whenever I need to. It's a deceptively beautiful sunny day here, but I'm not going anywhere unless I have to. It's going to be cold here for another 2-3 months, but at least this deep freeze is easing up this weekend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm in mid-Michigan. After a terrible ice storm Christmas week -- we lost power for a full seven days! -- the temp has plummeted. This morning when I was out, we had an actual temperature of -6 (F), with a wind chill of -14. By comparison, we've had years when we never got to 0. The weekend is supposed to hit the low 30s, though -- then we're back to single digits next week.
Frankly, I hate it. When we had to move out due to the power outage, I tried hard not to keep repeating "San Diego, San Diego" to my wife. I'd move in a heartbeat. But on the flip side, we're close to her family, who were fantastic about feeding us, giving us a place to stay, and even loaning us a generator for the furnace (so the pipes wouldn't freeze). Plus, every Sunday we have dinner at her parents' house, and there's a LOT to be said for my mother-in-law's cooking! :)
Bob

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, im venturing out for needed supplies, then its gonna be an afternoon of deep pipe cleaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.