Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Great pic Kashmir!
rmbittner that sounds terrible. Ice storms are one of the few things we fear here in VT.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Six:
Well, it was terrible! But there were folks here who had it worse: Hundreds of residents in Lansing, MI, were still without power after 9 days. I don't know how they managed, especially when you're talking about freezing water pipes, which can cause extensive damage if/when they burst.
I say a little prayer of thanks every time I walk into a room and turn on the lights. Now, our biggest issue is just keeping the cable/Internet/phone up; the ice took down a lot of the cable-company lines as well.
Bob

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
In the same boat as Kashmir here in Bethlehem PA, freeking plows just got to my neighborhood and its afternoon! Waiting on pins and needles as well. My son Gabriel just boarded in LAX to JFK returning from Pasedena's Rose parade. I'm sweting bullets over that.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes PS: John, that 2 1/2 months can't go fast enough for me!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A balmy 14 degrees here in Maryland and relatively little snow. It's supposed to be in the 40's by Sunday, hooray! A bit too nippy for garage smoking, so I'll stop by Boswells in PA later today to get my fix in their warm lounge.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
We didn't hit with the snow but it's cold here. I don't mind I'm build for winter but I am looking forward to spending a few weeks enjoying my AZ home soon. 8O

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Yes it's pretty cold in NYC right now- for NYC. I see Ottawa temps and I'm happy to live 'down south'!
But now I start fretting about the fact I didn't wrap my fig trees for winter. I hope my babies survive! :cry:

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I don't know what kind of redundancy system they built in, but living in Winnipeg I never experienced a power outage. Living here in Cheshire, Connecticut, power outages seem to be built into the system.
And now a little story to delight you on this cold winter's day. These two chaps are driving around in their pickup truck shivering in their parkas, in Saskatoon. One says to the other: "you know, I'm getting a bit tired of all this cold weather. Let's go to someplace warm for a few days." They had over to the airport, and they asked the ticket agent for two tickets on the next plane out to someplace warm she tells them there's a flight leaving for San Diego in half an hour. "We'll take it," they say. And then a few hours later they step off the plane, still in their parkas, in San Diego. Being good Canadians, they head for the nearest bar to have a couple of beers. They're sitting there, still wearing their parkas, enjoying their beers. At another table, a group of guys are staring at them and one of them says I wonder where they're from. Bob gets up and says "I'll go find out." He walks over to their table, and says: "hi there. Where you guys from?" – "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan." Comes the reply. He nods and walks back to his table. One of his friends asks "where they from?" "I don't know. They don't speak English."

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Jaysus! Here on the East Slope of the Rockies it's a balmy -3 C with another 5-10 cms of snow to come over the next 24 hrs on top the pile that's already there. Feeling your pain guys. Stay warm and stay safe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I’m just glad I’m not trapped in sea ice in Antarctica:
Global warming researcher gets stuck in ice
http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/saunders/article/Global-warming-researcher-gets-stuck-in-ice-5102720.php

smokeaway

Lurker
Dec 10, 2013
skapunk1, unfortunately I had to work this morning, it was sooo cold !!!! So happy it's going to warm up this week end!

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Wilmington, DE Current Conditions updated 4:51 PM ET

15°
Hi -8° | Lo -17°

Clear

Sunrise: 7:23 AM

Sunset: 4:50 PM

Barometer: 30.37" Hg Feels like: 3°

Humidity: 47%

Wind: NW 9 mph

Tonight
Lo -17°

Clear

Sunset: 4:50 PM Tomorrow Saturday, January 4
Hi 0° | Lo -5°

Sunny

Extended Forecast

Sun

Jan 5

Mon

Jan 6

Tue

Jan 7

Wed

Jan 8

Thu

Jan 9

Fri

Jan 10

Sat

Jan 11

Sun

Jan 12
6° | 5°

Showers
8° | -16°

Ice
-11° | -12°

Sunny
0° | -6°

M/Sunny
3° | -1°

M/Cloudy
5° | -1°

Ice
6° | 1°

P/Cloudy
6° | 0°

P/Cloudy :puffy:

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
The high of 95F today. I get a laugh out of the guys talking about sunrise and sunset. short days. Here sunset and sunrise is not more than a half hour diff.. all year around. Close to the Equator you know. I pray all you Gringo's make it thru this winter of 13 and 14.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Where you guys from?" – "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan." Comes the reply.
And I thought everybody new Gordie Howe's hometown. One of the great No. 9's, not a reference to capitalization rules.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Well, a good day overall. Ventured out for new workboots at Marks Work Warehouse. Picked up some super crazy thermal socks, long underwear, and an awesome fleece bathrobe, perfect for an evening pipe and scotch while watching a movie or hockey game. Oh...a case of Pilsner as well.
Laundry and cleaned 6 pipes with everclear. Im having a cigar buddy over tomorrow night, and he wants to try a pipe. Got a few sanitized and ready.
Great cold start to my long weekend.
Warren

Jan 3, 2014
Right now it is 1*F here in Buffalo (-17*C). Colder than a brass outhouse seat in the Yukon.
If it dips much lower than this then that's when it gets dicey because things begin to break. Water pipes can freeze, if something on your car is about to go now is when it will. Ah well, toss another log on the fire and maybe put some corn and apples out for the critters. It'll pass soon enough. Cheers :)

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
22F here right now, but no snow and it's nice and cozy in the room I'm in. I feel for those in worse conditions and hope you all make through safe and sound.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
@bluesmk… my wife and I went to the Rose Parade for the first time this year, although we've been residents for almost 7 years now. It was a fun experience. I hope your son makes it back home safely, and I hope he enjoyed his time in our neck of the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.