To all of the pipe makers out there - a call to action...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

60 Fresh Vauen Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes
18 Fresh Brebbia Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
24 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've been thinking about making this post for a little bit, so here goes... I've been on the search for the perfect billiard (or at least my idea of the perfect billiard) and have been unable to find it. Here's what I am envisioning:
dunhill-bingcrosby-600x377.jpg

So I wanted to make the suggestion that if someone made this pipe and made it affordable, I think they'd have a tough time keeping up with the orders. There are many billiards out there, but very few just like this and those that do exist (Dunhill's Bing Crosby pipe or the Stanwell Pipe of the Year 2010) disappear as soon as they're available.
It would need to be 7" or close to it and the stem would need to be crisp and sharp. Not the bulbous type that the majority of billiards have:
captain-black-helsman-billiard-pipe.jpg

More like this shape:
002-023-0781.jpg

I am actually surprised this shape isn't much more common, but if those of you who make pipes (Mr. Brog? or a custom pipe maker) can duplicate this, with a similar nickel band, I really think you'd have a winner on your hands. Curious if others here agree or I am way off base? :puffpipe:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I like billiards too, there are just SO many out there...There are many pipe makers who you can commission a pipe from on here. Lonestar is a good one

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I've decided not to go the custom way mainly due to cost and if the pipe isn't exactly what I wanted, I'd feel obligated to buy it. I am very particular with this model, and I'd rather see before I buy.
So this is a friendly suggestion to those makers looking to increase sales. Maybe I am wrong, but I'd bet this pipe, at this length, would be a huge success.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The problem is that artisan makers usually carve the shape to suit the briar, not the other way around.
I talked to a carver this past weekend who turns down requests to "make a pipe that looks exactly like THIS." If you want that, he said, buy that.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I am with you numbersix.That too is my favorite shape and the one that made me want to smoke a pipe as well.I think what you are describing is "The perfect" billiard, at least for me, but I don't think it exists because I've been searching also.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I'm confused. what makes it different then any other billiard? I'm not trying to be mean or anything just trying to understand.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Seems like a Liverpool with a longer stem on it. And then the "crown" has that slant that I love so much.
Looks like an awesome pipe. If you comission a series of these to be made, count me in. :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'm confused. what makes it different then any other billiard? I'm not trying to be mean or anything just trying to understand.
The key difference for me is the length plus the straightness of the shank and stem (rather than being short and bulbish in shape like 99% of today's billards) and the length. The silver band is a nice touch too.
It's sort of like this (which isn't a billiard, and is missing a silver band, but it's got the right shank and stem):
images

As opposed to this:
9822.jpg

I think you could stain it dark or light, but needs the key factors of length, straightness and a silver band - all 3 elements make for a killer billiard IMHO. 8)

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
The problem is that artisan makers usually carve the shape to suit the briar, not the other way around.
I talked to a carver this past weekend who turns down requests to "make a pipe that looks exactly like THIS." If you want that, he said, buy that.
Technically, the billiard shape of the briar I am seeking is fairly standard. It's a bit longer in the shank and the stem shape needs to match up and be on the long side as well. I think of Savinelli's Bing line - which misses the mark for me on a number of points, but yet they can still produce an item that comes close. So I'm betting it's do-able.
Of course I don't expect anyone to actually follow up on this idea—just a pipe dream of mine (literally!). But I think if someone did, they'd be selling these pipes faster than they could make them.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Dragon - The top one is the closest - tho the sandblast is a miss for me.
I've scoured the 'net and have seen these. The Dunhill is just too pricey and the others are close but no cigar (or should I say 'pipe')— they're precariously close to being canadians. The stem would have to be more equal in length to the shank.
And this is one of the reason I am afraid to commission a pipe like this - it's very difficult to get my precise meaning across; but I'm thinking if Savinelli can produce a Bing pipe for under $100, all they'd need do is tweak the look and they'd have another best seller.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I will say that this one comes really close:
002-023-0781.jpg

But it's a sandblast, which makes it a miss. And I'd like to see the shank a bit longer, but it's 6.62"—pretty nice length. If this were a smooth billiard, it'd be close enough for me to say it's a *hit*.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Numbersix, where does the Sav miss the mark for you? To me it looks just about the same, except for the curved stem. Can you succesfully straighten a stem? If you had a straight stem made and maybe a silver band put on the Sav, would that do it? Most repair shops charge around $25 for a stem and the same for a silver band, so you would be looking at about $50 over the original cost of the pipe. It would probably be cheaper than a custom made pipe and you could see the pipe before you have the work done on it.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
my grabow royal duke is a dead ringer for what you describe but a slightly smaller version perhaps.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Still with you numbersix..Great examples but the shank and stem need to be the same length and tight going into a round taper stem....I see it too..next time I get briar that's my goal.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
http://briarsweatandtears.com/index.php/previous-pipes
Maybe like the Bing on this page?

Status
Not open for further replies.