To all of the pipe makers out there - a call to action...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
This is my rebuild of an LJ Peretti pipe with lots of fills. It had a short stem on it. I got a long rough stem from JH Lowe and then rusticated it. It is 8" long. Haven't decided if I will leave it natural or stain and polish it. But it is an amazing pipe, close to what you are looking for.
PipeRebuild.jpg

stemrepair2.jpg

The stem blank was as rough as the one in the second picture. I sanded it to fit all by hand in the living room. I was happy that I got a little fishtail on the end.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
http://briarsweatandtears.com/index.php/previous-pipes

Maybe like the Bing on this page?
Yep - that would be it - but that looks on the small size. Also, the kaywoodies and medicos I've seen that are similar have been way too small - needs to be at least 6.5".
The Sav Bing models miss on a number of points (though it's a fine pipe on its own). The stem is curved - my ideal of a classic billiard is straight as an arrow. Except for the soiree model, the stems are not black. The band is a cheap looking brass - looks like a child's ring from a gumball machine. And the golf logo has got to go.
My guess is Savinelli thought a classic billiard was too boring and so made the "Bing".
Finally, as for the custom route, the ONLY reason I am seriously worried about doing it is I know the cost would be over my budget, but even more than that, I am doubtful that I would be able to get the idea in my mind across clearly enough. For ex., we are rebuilding our house, and we asked our builder (a great guy btw) to re-do our kitchen island. We drew up designs and explained what we wanted, but he delivered something very different, but we accepted it with a big smiles on our faces.
So if I commissioned someone to do it, and the work was sub-par, I'd prolly still buy it and regret it.
Thanks @nightmarejones and @galeon. It would be way cool if someone who manufactures pipes sees this and makes it—but I have to say, if anyone actually does make it, the devil is in the details.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I like your idea, six. And I completely understand what you mean about not wanting to commission and get not exactly what you want; I'd feel the same way.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This is an old Peretti straight grain billiard that I think is close to what you are thinking of. It is 6 1/4 inches long.

peretti2.jpg

This Don Carlos 1 Note is 6.5 inches long, but is rusticated, but the bowl is a tad higher than the Peretti.

DSC01470.jpg

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
For a point of reference and scale, here is that pipe in a four year old's mouth :)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/137/picture6tn.jpg/

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I just realized that I scored a Savinelli on the bay the other night that is fairly close to what you're talking about Six. I'll have to get a photo or two and measurements and post them this evening or tomorrow.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
On things like these, it is often more about the quest than the result. Buy some estate pipes that are close for 5-10 bucks apiece and start sanding, or adding plaster or epoxy putty to build it up where needed and grind some more. Or do it like Dreyfuss and do it in mashed potatoes and landscaping material. But enjoy!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
@cigrmaster Nice! The Don Carlos is very close. The Peretti on the other hand is definitely not the type I am seeking, the stem is all wrong.
@jpberg My bad - that looks pretty long. I think the tobacco tin threw me off!
@gmwolford would love to see it! Hope you get a chance to post it here.
@rothnh The pencil shank is what Bing actually had commissioned and would be really nice too.
@kennerth True enough. This post's purpose is to get Pipe makers/manufacturers to consider adding this style of pipe to their lineup.
Mr. Brog?? I already have a name for it: The "Executive" (ala Seinfeld). theseinfelddictionary.com :)
But I say again, the devil is in the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.