PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Download-File

Been getting cooler here as of late. I smoke in the garage now since we are expecting a little one here in January. It's a one and a half garage with the half bay being my workshop for furniture, beekeeping, pipes, and man cave. I have a radio in there and a nice comfy chair to sit and relax for pipe smoking. I bought a package of cotton balls for pipe cleaning and refurbishing. The other day I go in to light a pipe and knock around for a bit. Then, I saw the destruction. Apparently a mouse has made its way in earlier then expected and nibbled it's way into my cotton balls. Gentlemen, this means war.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Soak a couple of the cotton balls in peppermint oil, and lay them around your smoking area. I've read that they really hate the smell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe it's time to cat-sit for a weekend. Borrow the litter box with the cat of course. The best hunter I ever knew was a male, but generally the females are more efficient, probably because they have to hunt for themselves and their litters, and they have to teach the litters how to hunt. They just sit in ambush. Not much movement. When the mouse feels safe enough to move, bam. The male mojo hunter was de-clawed no less (by a previous owner) and he hunted everything, some adult squirrels and rabbits. In the morning, the front yard looked like a battlefield. Very sweet natured with people, and dominant with large dogs and other dogs. He really had the mental game down pat. Never met a cat or other animal just like him.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I pulled 10 out of my shed last month in preparation for winter smoking. Those old fashioned mouse traps still rule.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I bought this for my garage and it seems to work.
http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M792-Heavy-Duty-PestChaser-available/dp/B001B1OI0A/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1447453271&sr=8-21&keywords=rodent+repeller&pebp=1447453288135&perid=02MCW0QJJJW7682C1HA9

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I've got rat poison pellets everywhere in my garage. Sticky traps are set in likely travel routes. They all work.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
My cats have a generous nature; after playing with a mouse til it is dead instead of eating it about 1/3 of the time they'll bring it to me to "share". Not only mice but the occasional squirrel, gopher, and once a small woodchuck. My big male weighs 18 pounds and will go outside and just wait by a gopher hole until his "playmate" shows up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cats are all about protein and are mostly carnivorous. They have short digestive tracts and can't process most plant materials, although they do eat some grass and plants to scour out their insides. People, dogs, apes, bears and others have a much wider array of food sources (are omnivorous) and have a much more adaptable menu. Despite this limitation, cats have been around for many millions of years in approximately the same form, except their fangs have gotten a little smaller (in the case of the saber tooth ancestors). Large felines like lions used to live nearly everywhere on earth that wasn't covered with ice, including Europe and the Americas. The instinct to hunt meat is so strong, that feeding a cat doesn't diminish its hunting but rather makes it more of a hunter, apparently for entertainment. When they hunt for all their food they have to be economical and not use too many calories on missed or long-shot chances, whereas if they are fed well, they seem to enjoy hunting for sport. That's why they bring their prey to us and want to share it, to keep their people happy and busy bringing them regular food.

Status
Not open for further replies.