PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
Pretty soon, pipes including bowls & stems, pipe stands, even tobacco pouches with be restricted and controlled by the FDA.

This is our doom approaching, enemy envaders taking over our basic rights...and we know there's nothing we can do to stop it. It's already been decided.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
I'm sure Marlboro will make and sell some nice briar pipes for you to purchase once these regulations go into full effect.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Pipe are considered components but are not regulated and will not require warning labels. I spent 2 hours watching a FDA webinar this week and this was discussed. It's all so confusing.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
WTF do pipe pouches and pipe stands have to do with the FDA's ( :roll: :roll: ) concern over the safety of public health!!!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I seem to remember that Americans were once concerned a great deal about unjust taxation...
This FDA program is made as circuitous, labyrinthine and tedious as possible to raise costs, driving the small guys out of the tobacco business.
Regulation always favors established interests; they help write it, it seems.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
The chief reason is control. Control and greed. There are TWO reasons. Control and greed, and douchebaggery. THREE! Three reasons for this new FDA ruling. They are Control, Greed, Douchebaggery, and the desire to fundamentally change the very fabric and freedoms that our nation was constructed under. GAH! Let me start again...

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
Hmmm, 170 pounds of tobacco-check. 30 various pipes and 2 new bags of MM cob seconds-check. Now to start building an actual cellar under my slab to hide and smoke in. This reminds me of the air raid drills in school and WW II. And to think I thought this was a free country.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I hate to admit it, but I believe you may be right in saying that 'this is it'.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
We shifted from a country of Freedom Of... into a country of Freedom From...

Freedom of speech into freedom from speech. Freedom to smoke into freedom from smoke. Freedom of ideas into freedom from ideas...

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
This is EXACTLY the sort of thing that could get indigenous Americans eternally steamed at the FDA...
Dear Fellow Pipefans:
Data's Calabash here again - and for the agency that pushed Fen-Phen quite some time ago as an "approved medication" for weight control, and similarly has brought statins (with attendant loss of mental function for some patients), blood thinners like canagliflozin (that can all too easily make one feel like they're becoming a hemophiliac) and other questionably-FDA approved medications that CAN hurt people all too seriously and all too easily...
...now, the FDA is going to ban pipes THEMSLEVES?
Like I've stated before here a number of times, it's the substantial number of the 600+ Native American indigenous tribal groups east of the Continental Divide that have rights to tobacco use that go back into pre-Columbian times that are GOING to have to say something in opposition to such idiotic FDA policies.
One perfect example of this concern could be the indigenous American tribal access to the mineral named Catlinite, used for the crafting of Native American calumets, chanunpas and other indigenous pipe styles. As the linked Wikipedia article states clearly:
"Only enrolled Native Americans are allowed to quarry for the stone at the Pipestone National Monument, and thus it is protected from over-mining."
...is the FDA planning on prohibiting Native Americans from having access to limited pipestone resources, strictly to be the "decider" on all such issues concerning ALL pipe smoking/collection issues? What might the FDA order...backfilling entire catlinite mines with concrete, perhaps, or just their entrances, to prevent currently-legal Native American access?
Methinks that the FDA has NO idea how strong the pushback from Native Americans is going to be, not very far into the future...if the FDA doesn't remember the many injustices the American government has repeatedly visited on native peoples in the USA, perhaps they ought to study up on the presidency of Andrew Jackson (the seventh US president, and a nearly genocidal one in Native American circles to this day) and many, MANY other, countless instances of the injustices dealt to Native Americans over centuries' worth of time.
It's the Native American Rights Fund website where I'd first expect to see evidence of this "pushback"...it could take a while, but IF the FDA really IS that foolish, they also probably don't have any realization of HOW strong the pushback against them could be someday!
Yours Sincerely,
Data's Calabash

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Once upon a time, there were some quaint notions enshrined in founding documents that now of course are seen as silly and no longer carry any legal weight...but I'm given to nostalgia.
Amendment IX

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The 10th Amendment was essentially gutted by the SCOTUS using the Commerce Clause among other things.
Oh the irony. The whole point of the 10th amendment was to prevent something like the commerce clause from being fraudulently interpreted in such a manner.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
No need to worry. Calm down and pour yourself another dram of Absinthe... Oh wait... Bad example...

Status
Not open for further replies.