PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
On August 8, 2016, the American people were shocked when 19 pipe smokers hijacked two 757s and flew them into the FDA building.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Went to my local B&M today. The owner/operator is a great guy, always welcoming and friendly, and second generation owner of the shop. His father, who opened the shop, was the fellow that helped me greatly in the hobby many years ago when I first took up the pipe. I was saddened today to discover that his shop will soon be closing due to all of this tobacco Nazi BS. :crying:

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I wonder if this could be part of a very convoluted land grab situation. Not one with immediate results, but one that will eventually cause valuable former-farmland to be put up for sale, to the benefit of real estate investors and other vulture types. People who typically have close ties to government and lobbyists.
Just a thought.
P.S. I'm voting for Gary Johnson.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but I wonder if this could be part of a very convoluted land grab situation. Not one with immediate results, but one that will eventually cause valuable former-farmland to be put up for sale,
Big Tobacco is expanding in global markets so I don't see tobacco farmland in the US going away.

badger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2016
I'm sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseum but what's at stake here. What will these legislations look like for normal pipe smokers who both purchase pipes and tobacco online and from B&Ms? What will change?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With the charges that are going to be levied on blenders, the age of the pipesmoker may be coming to an end.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Some of this stuff is ridiculous, like cigar cutters, hookah charcoal, tongs, foil, pipe pouches..... For the most part I just see companies changing the names of things, like pipe pouches will become pencil cases, but actual tobacco products will be the thing there's no getting around. After the RYO tobacco being relabeled as pipe tobacco to get around tax laws, I guess the government wants their pound of flesh. I just may have to get another final order in, as it's obviously going to be final.

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
Could THIS controversy be the start of indigenous Americans confronting government control of pipes at ANY level?
Dear Fellow Pipefans:
Data's Calabash here again - about a week ago I posted in this thread, stating what could be the best possible chance for anyone in the USA to confront government control of ANYTHING concerning our pipe-related pastimes and enjoyment...
...is it possible that the largest of the "lower 48" states has just recently started this phase of tobacco control confrontation, even in a potentially remote, "round-about" manner?
This news item at ThinkProgress is coming from tribal ethnicities of the Plains tribes of the United States, and it DOES bear reading...this is PROOF that tribal groups there, both of Federal and state-recognized types, ARE going to be fighting to protect their traditions and ceremonies that involve tobacco, AND everything that goes along with their millenia-long rights concerning pipes and tobacco.
Give it a good read...from what I've already read here in other pages, the FDA is going to have a VERY hard time justifying its "deeming regulations" concerning pipes and tobacco for them, for more reasons than the rising tide of angry complaints coming from non-indigenous American citizens!
Yours Sincerely,
Data's Calabash

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
It's important to put pipe stands under the purview of the FDA as otherwise people who lick furniture and other household items might get nauseous ingesting minute amounts of varnish, shellac or (shudder!) wax. It is so ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.