PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
If this is old news, forgive me, but I've been smoking a pipe for about 10 years now, and only recently discovered this method for packing ribbon cut. It's about as fool-proof as it gets, and so far, I've had great results. I've used the two-step, three-step and Frank methods in the past, but the swirl method is my new favorite for ease and reliability. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0XHYPso7TXs
Like I said, I've been smoking for about a decade, and just ran across this two weeks ago. Anyone else use the swirl method?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I've been using this method for a couple of years and it works very well for me. It's certainly a lot faster than the Frank Method and just as effective.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I too have only recently discovered that - its really pretty nifty, I've sometimes had issues with it so I'm not sure if its the pipe I use or the tobaccco.
Oh and obligatory mention that this is my 400th post!

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I was broke in using the 3-step, then switched to the "Frank method" and stayed there. This is the first time I have seen or heard of the swirl...guess I'll give it a whirl :rofl:
Thanks for posting the video. :clap:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
You could just as well call it the McGrane Method. I've never tried it this way and am not sure it is always practical. I am going to give this a try.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I've used this method in the past. It doesn't work with every cut of tobacco, in my opinion(IMO). This method works with longer ribbon cut tobacco. It is a fast way to load your pipe.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I love this method, and this video. As mentioned above, it works well with ribbon cut.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Just tried two bowls packed this way. It works suprisingly well and gives a good draw and even burn. I have a feeling it might work better with larger-bowled pipes.

hedgehog

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2013
Anyone can swirl tobacco into an inverted pipe and torch it. But I suspect very few can enchant and bewitch the process with twinkling Celtic good humor, and infuse the whole business with an otherworldly benignity. I'm sure if I could do that, every pipe I packed would be sheer magic. :puffpipe:

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Ive used it on occasion. Its fun and works well, but find myself packing it normally most of the time.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
Anyone can swirl tobacco into an inverted pipe and torch it. But I suspect very few can enchant and bewitch the process with twinkling Celtic good humor, and infuse the whole business with an otherworldly benignity
He does have a certain charm, does he not? As to the method itself, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more press. Much easier than teaching a novice that old chestnut otherwise known as the three pinch method.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
that old chestnut otherwise known as the three pinch method.
I know it's the most recommended one for beginners and blah de blah blah but it's never really worked well for me, and it doesn't give me the same ritualistic satisfaction of the Frank or the swirl. I can't wait to become one of those codgers who can pack a bowl just by looking at it.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have been using this method almost exclusively for a couple of months. It works great, even leaves a little airspace at the bottom of the pipe so moisture won't be a problem. Smoking a bowl with no relights is the norm.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
gtclark said:

"I've been smoking a pipe for about 10 years now, and only

recently discovered this method for packing ribbon cut.
I've been smoking a pipe for 40 years and have never seen it before ... that said, I will have tried it before the day ends.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
This is the method I used to pack my pipe the very first time I truly got a good smoke out of it. The only real down side to it, as other have said, it really only works well with ribbon cut tobacco. Also, your pipe has to have a level top for it to work. I've got a couple of free hands with irregular rims and it doesn't work worth a damn on those pipes lol.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Me too. Too stupid to follow Frank's instruction. I just looked it up today, and when he started talking about bizarre thumb exercises to learn and practice before loading the pipe, i shut er' down. Too much trouble. The swirl, however, looks simple and I shall give it a try soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.