PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Another recommended way to pack a pipe. And one that I've never tried. I guess old dogs will try new tricks. Bravo to the Classy Chap doing the video from such a well established British Tobacco House.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
These method does wonders now for my ribbon cut tobaccos. Thanks for sharing this!

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've tried the swirl method a few times. I have some inconsistencies in my packing. Sometimes it's great sometimes not so good. I've used a modified version of the Frank method for a long time with great results.

cetyn

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
I use the swirl method with ribbon cut. I do it without even thinking about it. When it comes to flakes or rope or plug, the filling of my pipes varies. But it's all good :D

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I think these videos have come up a few times before and everytime I just love hearing his voice, it is so soothing to the ears.

~Ron

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Yesterday, I said:

"I've been smoking a pipe for 40 years and have never seen

it before ... that said, I will have tried it before the day ends."
OK ... I've tried it three times now and each has been a positive thing ... all three pipes full burned cooler than usual and burned evenly to the bottom without a single re-light. No unburned tobacco was present in any of them when knocking out the residue at the end.
later, docwatson said:

"I guess old dogs will try new tricks"
well doc, this old dog tried the new trick and was impressed. I will be following this method from now on.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I use the swirl method with long ribbon cuts only. I look at the tobacco and determine which method would work best. Sometimes nsfisher's way is best:
Shove baccy in bowl, tamp, light, smoke.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I just stumbled on this within the last month as well. It must be making its way around youtube, because I had never seen it presented until recently. I do think this would have been a great method to know when I was starting out. It has been reliable and I have taken to even using it in my cobs becuase I tend to pack them to tight even with the Frank method.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
The thing that I only joked about above is that you need a mixture that works with the method. You need a cut that cooperates. I have some Newminster 701 Virginia that is a nice ribbon cut but the ribbons are long and tend to bind together. It is a bit like separating a chunk of steel wool from the pad. As a giggle, I tried swirl and nothing much made it to the bowl.
If you only smoke certain mixes that lend themselves to the technique then was poetic. With slices, cake, coins and others on down the list, you learn to pack to accommodate the tobacco. It is a bit silly to beautify one packing method that works only with a certain group -- unless you are totally satisfied there is nothing better out there.

Dec 24, 2012
Is this also called The Palm Method?
I have never tried that. Based on my sheltered upbringing, I had always thought that would make me go blind.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Is this also called The Palm Method?
I have never tried that. Based on my sheltered upbringing, I had always thought that would make me go blind.

:rofl:
I tried the swirl method last night and for the first time I was able to finish an entire bowl and it only took 5 relights. Up to this point it took me tons of relights just to make it to mid bowl and I usually just gave up after about 45 minutes of frustration. I didn't know if it would work as I was trying C&D's Autumn Evening which is a coarse cut rather than a ribbon (lovely tobacco, by the way). I finally was able to relax and puff away....
I've tried the three step, Bob, and Frank methods but consider me a true convert to the swirl.
Actually, you can end with a pinch, but I prefer the clockwise swirl (Fusilli Jerry episode).

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'm giving it a shot this morning with a Caminetto and some Black House. It packed very well, and took to the match with ease. I'm 3/4 of the way through the bow, and so far zero relights, and it is burning very cool! This method may just be a winner!

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I've been experimenting with this technique since I saw the thread two days ago and I am impressed... I have been able to smoke every bowl down to fine ash without ANY relights EVERY time. Over the last two days that is... 8 bowls or so? Anywho, this is most certainly the technique I will use from now until the end of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.