PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokingcricket

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2018
I have been using this packing technique and find it works well anyone else use it?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please stop with the all caps.
I just load pushing with one finger from the bag or jar, and tamp down a bit with said finger. Works just fine, is quick and easy. Tobacco has to be dry enough though- then you don't need much of a "technique"!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I use the Jay method.
I fret over tobacco selection for 2-4 minutes.
I open the container and curse bitterly because it is too wet or too dry.
I spread the 12x12 tarp to catch the majority that I spill all over the place.
I load the smallest pinches in order to almost gravity fill, loosely.
When filled in that fashion, I grab a big pinch and finally put some pressure on, leaving strings and trailers hanging out all over the place, which produce burn marks on my pants, the chair, the tarp and sometimes the carpet.
After sifting through the pile of lighters, I eventually find the one with both flint and gas. I then extinguish my eyebrows, since the regulator was left wide open by SOMEONE...
I grab the tamper and ram on the load like a civil war re-enactor with a rusty cannon. More bits and dottle launch for my genitals.
I drop everything on the desk to see who is calling or texting me during this delicate operation. If it's not Mrs. jaytex or Ed McMahon's ghost, I curse bitterly and crawl around looking for everything again.
I take a break, enjoying a long sip of Beekeeper's Friend iced tea.
Adjusting the flame, I get my char on. More embers find my open fly and into the tops of my shoes. I mentally note that the burning smell of cotton/wool blend military surplus socks is kind of nice.
My wife needs a hand. I throw it all back on the desk. The damned cat got in my room. There's regurgitated kibble and grass on my tarp now.
I turn the phone ringer off and re-secure the implements for having my peaceful pipe smoke.
I google the blend I have lit and enjoy the soothing soliloquy of whatever illiterate ass-hat has a review of it up on YouTube.
Hope that helps... :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
As usual, Jay sands down to the real-world finish on the wood. This is why we assign him to the tobacco reviews. :clap: :mrgreen:

Dec 28, 2015
Indeed Jay. You have singlehandedly renewed my interest in this forum just as I was getting in somewhat of a rut. You are awesome. Thank you.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Yer welcome mateys!
No one wants a gunner who's a stranger to adversity.
Enjoy yer evening and remember, it's all hands on deck in 48 hours.
We gotta hose down the decks and sails as the annual mob of drunkards with explosives get just a wee bit too close to our ship and houses.
By the way, I use the frank method only with the missus. I tell her everything, frankly. In return, she lets me do what she says and, some times, hold her hand. :worship:
jay-roger.jpg

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
By the way, I use the frank method only with the missus. I tell her everything, frankly. In return, she lets me do what she says and, some times, hold her hand. :worship:
I Frank-ly laughing my as* off now Jay.. Good Lord :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.