PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I just finished loading my rusticated peterson lestrade (with dunhill nightcap) and it brought the question up, do many people use the frank method? I for a while used a three pinch, but never had a good smoke until I stumbled upon the frank method!

cornguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2011
I use a modified geezer grab known as the senior stuff.

All I know is: "If it's too tight, it ain't right."

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've used it a few times, however, only had 1 good smoke. Since then, I've done pretty much as the others above have stated and just grab and stuff. The tricky part is getting the right density of your packing method, whether it's Frank's Method or your own.

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
I've had great results with the frank method ; but I need occasional reviews.

I really need to spend more time with pipe smoker's....just don't know many of them.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Listen to Arthur and Bubba. I've been at it for 40 years and grab and stuff works just fine. Leave it to the German's to develop a 20 minute excercise to get you to the point where a 6 second stuff will bring you. I watched the youtube videos of the Frank method and it was mind numbing. I, for one, consider it a hoax.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The 3 step method never worked for me. I experienced very inconsistent results.
I use a simplified approach inspired by the Frank method, but it's unorthodox enough to probably just be close to "grab and stuff" - it isn't so precise and deliberate as Frank's, but it has never failed me since I've seen his video. Great smokes time and time again. Before that, I was always packing poorly and never truly enjoyed the experience.
Echoing unclearthur, I think there is something to be said for experience and simple intuition. But for a newcomer who doesn't know a tap about pipe smoking - take a lesson or two from Otto Frank.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Listen to Arthur and Bubba. I've been at it for 40 years and grab and stuff works just fine. Leave it to the German's to develop a 20 minute excercise to get you to the point where a 6 second stuff will bring you. I watched the youtube videos of the Frank method and it was mind numbing. I, for one, consider it a hoax.
It only takes me +/- 3 minutes to load my pipe using the frank method, tho I do a sort of modified version that just kinda developed from doing 6+ times a day for the last 8 months. As for it being a hoax, isn't it the method used to load Brittish Pipe Smoking Championship pipes?

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Like the rest of you, I also use the ol' grab and stuff method! I don’t take the time to care to use the Frank Method. I’ll give the Frank Method a try here soon, and let you guys know what I think. After watching a video of the method I must admit, that is a beautifully packed bowl of tobacco (It was the PipesMagazine video instructional).
I’m interested to know if different manners of packing will provide a different smoke.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
To tell you the truth...

I use the Frank method when I'm practicing for, or participating in a slow smoke competition.

I found that it is quite conducive to a good slow smoke...

Only one drawback... it has to be done in a hurry/quickly in competition because of the time constraints. It can be problematic if the match tobacco is in need of much preparation.

(sorry about the puns)

These may be of use for those who aren't familiar with the Frank Method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJP0JaNRw6Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U5QbtyNxhA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtHOAiO8CI&feature=related

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have used it in the past, but now I mainly use the three step method now. The Frank Method just seemed like to much of a hassle for me.
However, if you don't mind going through the motions, it is a good technique.
You can see a few more different packing techniques, including a hybrid method of the Frank Method here:
Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods Part 1
Tobacco Pipe Packing Methods Part 2 (Videos)
Part 1 has written instructions and Part 2 has the Video Tutorials.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Hessenland,

Otto would appear to be father of the famous Anne Frank. Thanks for pointing out my mistake - it has been a long time since I viewed that video! My apologies to Achim; he deserves all the credit.
I think I'm in the same camp as marmal4de. An "abbreviated" customized version of the Frank method is very beneficial for a casual smoke. I'll give a shout out to Bob and his videos for providing us with a less precious, more concise example of the Frank method in action. His video was brief and to the point; I've smoked many enjoyable bowls since learning from his technique. Thanks Bob!
I agree with Lawrence, it sure gives a slow smoke and allows for much more consistent combustion in my opinion. Another correlation I've noticed - a factor among many - I haven't experienced tongue bite since I adopted the Frank method. (I also smoke better quality minimally cased tobaccos, keep them at a proper moisture, and go slower than I used to - but I've noticed a biting tendency when I try other packing processes. Might just be human error.)
Edit - Beat me to it, Bob!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The Frank method works . But so does the pack like a baby , pack like a woman and push it home like a man .Or if all else fails the Geezer grab and stuff method . Now flakes that would be altogether another story .

Status
Not open for further replies.