PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
So I'm in the process of restoring one of my estate pipes that was gifted to me by a good friend/coworker which I posted here, but as I was attempting to remove the stinger I heard a heart breaking SNAP. The stinger came out, but it brought the tenon out with it. :crying:

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Sorry hit enter prematurely
My first thought was to bore out the bit and put in a delrin insert. Problem is that it's an oval bit. I couldn't just chuck it up without some fancy fixturing. Instead I sanded what remained of the tenon off and tapped the bit for a 10-32 thread. I then drilled a 10-32 set screw with a 3/32 through hole which I then screwed into the bit. Then I drilled, tapped, and turned a new delrin tenon...e wala!
CIMG1514.jpg

CIMG1515.jpg

CIMG1531.jpg

CIMG1533.jpg

CIMG1534.jpg

CIMG1535.jpg

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
jameral where did you get the screw thing and the white covering thing? I have a pipe that I would like to try this with.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
@photoman13 The set screw is a standard 10-32UNF Stainless Steel set screw that you can find at any hardware store. Then you just have to drill a hole through it (best done on a lathe). The white thing is a piece of Delrin that I machined to screw onto the screw and fit the mortise.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Your address. If you would like me to send you a 10-32 set screw with a hole drilled through it, send me you address.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
PM sent. Thanks Jameral! The pipe is a great smoker but I just couldn't see spending 30 bucks to get it repaired when it only cost me 12 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.