(144 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Kevin Godbee
  • Latest reply from zack24
  1. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

This is an unfortunate PipesMagazine.com PSA:

Several pipes were stolen before the opening of the Chicago Pipe Show. A list and some pictures are below. If you see one or more of these pipes on the internet, at a pipe show, or offered for sale anywhere, please call St. Charles, Illinois Police Detective Bauwens at 630-443-3825.

Pipe, Description, Approximate value

B. Nordh Sweden, Sandblast tomato, $8,000
    Jess Chonowitsch, Fish, $6,000
    Sixten Ivarsson, New Oliphant, $6,000
    Sixten Ivarsson, bent billiard, $3,000
    Sixten Ivarsson, bent billiard horn insert, $3,000
    Jess Chonowitsch, Bamboo Brandy, $3,000
    Comoy's Extraordinaire, Ginat bent with silver inlaid, $800
    Comoys Super Magnum, New silver inlaid, $2,000
    Comoys 800, Paneled, $700
    Dunhill Magnum, Shell bent, $2,500
    Dunhill 842, Shell tall billiard, $800
    Tokutomi, Fugu Fish, $2,500
    J. Chonowitsch, New tanshell poker, $3,000
    8 Barlings Make, EXEXEL Billiards, $3,200 (aprox $400 each)
    2 Dunhill LB, Root briar, $700 ( $350 each)
    2 Dunhill LB, Shell Briar, $500 ($250)
    Cornelius manz A, NEW fish, $3,000
    P. Hedegaard, Bamboo billiard, $350

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I saw the top 4 mentioned on Instagram. Had no idea the actual lot was so big. That's a devastating loss. I hope they can get recovered before they end up in China or someone's black market basement.

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sucks!! Was this all in one swipe, or was this from various vendors throughout the show?

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I think a hotel room was broken into before the show started. That's a lot of trust in just a hotel room door lock. These should have been locked in a safe that's too big to run away with.

And if they went to China, they're likely gone for good.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You would think the hotel would have a little better security since this seems to happen each year.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's horrible, disgusting, but where the venue is in close proximity to Chi town, lucky some of you weren't shot. No Honor in this world anymore.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Good Day All;

My understanding is that the owner was "mugged / robbed" in front of the hotel, in the parking lot. A large amount of cash, which is most likely what the thieves were after, was taken, plus a pack sack with the pipes.

I suspect the pipes were tossed into a dumpster ( which makes me cringe at the loss , as the thieves probably had no idea what the pipes are worth.

This was not a room break in.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Wow! That's much worse. Thanks for the clarification, Mike.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Uggg, that makes it worse, assuming they all just got tossed.
    Pipes really just don't have any value to anyone but the 1-2% of the population who has ever even heard of Dunhill, much less any of those other carvers. Yeh, before I ever went inside a real pipe shop, I would have just assumed a pipe was about $10-30.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear that. I just hope they will be found.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. scotties22

scotties22

Login to Send PM

Yeah, he was rolled in the parking lot as he was coming back from the bank. It's a bit fishy and sounds like someone at the bank may have had a hand in it. More than likely they were after the cash and got a nice surprise in the pipes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was not on the hotel grounds, Mike. Rodrigo got jumped while on foot not far from the bank where he'd just withdrawn $40K. The bad guys took his entire backpack---money and pipes. The pipes seem to have gone along for the ride.

The $40K withdrawal had been arranged a week in advance (that much cash requires arranging), meaning the investigation is looking hard at the chain of communication at the bank, not the show.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

briarblues report on the hotel parking lot mugging changes the whole picture. When i read down the list of pipes, I thought, boy, these thieves really knew what they were after, an inside job. This raises the remote possibility that they'll turn up at the local pawn shop. brad, St. Charles/Pheasant Run, is a ways from Chicago, and the crime scenes that suggests, but it could be big city muggers. Maybe security cameras caught the action and the local law enforcement will take some time, given the value of the loot. Great pipes. It's like the art heist at the Elizabeth Gardner Museum in Boston years ago, major works of art, still unsolved. This is the pipe culture version.

georged's post popped up after I wrote that ... the story evolves. No parking lot mugging. Big bundle of cash. Oh boy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's bad news all around - lets hope for a positive conclusion

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really do hope they turn up in a pawn shop or just get returned.

But, to put it in perspective, if you were given $40k, and a bag of purses, would you even think to look up the name brands of the purses to see if they were worth thousands of dollars? Plus, where would you go to get thousands for a purse? Do the names Birkin, Fuchsia, or Hermes mean anything to you? Nah, me neither, I would toss them in the garbage. And, unless the heist was pulled off by one of us 1-2% pipe smokers, which is doubtful, they probably ended up in the dumpster, where the handbags would have gone.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. bannyc9

bannyc9

Login to Send PM

This is sickening

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

That's pretty damned awful. Last year there was the table top theft at KC. This sounds like it might have been something different. At least Rodrigo wasn't injured(?). So it's a loss, but not a tragedy.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No Honor in this world anymore.
    Yes...

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just to play at armchair detective, if I were the local deputy or whoever, I'd look into whether the heist was just a random lucky grab, or if as suggested in someone else's post, the cash was sniffed out in advance. If it was more calculated, the cash might be associated with the pipe show, and the pipe show might suggest that the pipes could be of value. I think a thief would look over his haul, and the pipes in their socks, all spiffed up for the show, might suggest a cash return. This could depend on the fence, if he was saavy about merchandise other than guns and electronics. Probably not in St. Charles, but certainly in Chicago. Either could be true. Toss 'em in the dumpster, or carefully process the goods. The dumpster is more likely, yes, but the other also regularly occurs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's awful, thank goodness he wasn't harmed physically. These days, I wouldn't leave a bank with $40,000 in hand unless I had an armed guard with me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Walking around alone in the Chicago area with $40k cash?

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suspect that the pipes were not intentionally targeted, but a "bonus" for the thieves who were really after the cash.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Crap. That just royally stinks. I hope they nab the perp fast. -growl-

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

maker

Login to Send PM

Only police report in St Charles and surrounding counties matching the original description.

ST. CHARLES – A person walking in the parking lot at Pheasant Run Resort, 4051 E. Main St., St. Charles, reported being the victim of a robbery shortly before 3 p.m. May 2, police announced in a news release.

Two offenders demanded the victim’s backpack, which contained personal items and an undetermined amount of cash, the release stated.

The victim turned over the backpack and was not hurt during the robbery, the release stated.

The two left in a vehicle driven by a third suspect eastbound on East Main Street, but police were unable to locate them, the release stated.

The two suspects who demanded the backpack were described as Hispanic, around age 25. One was 5-feet-11-inches tall and 160 pounds wearing a dark shirt, blue jeans and a dark hat, according to the release.

The other suspect was 5-feet-6-inches tall, 140 pounds, with short dark hair and a dark complexion, the release stated.

There was no description available of the driver.

The vehicle was described as a dark colored, four-door, passenger car, the release stated.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact the Investigations Section at 630-377-4435 or 866-378-4267. Citizens who report information can remain anonymous if they wish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So, we are all dishonorable? I'm not buying that.

This appears, based on the information available, to be a robbery. All sorts of possibilities arise from loose lips, a gross tactical error (forty grand dictates an armed guard), simple bad luck (wrong time and place), possible bank employee involvement, even the possibility of fraud. We can opine, at length, all day.

I'd love to read the conclusion in a few days or so. Chances are someone involved will brag, inform or otherwise slip up.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ugh!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK... Since I can't edit my previous post, I'll add to it.

I just got off the phone with someone who talked with Rodrigo after the robbery. This info is straight from the horse, in other words.

The assault DID occur on the PR resort grounds. Also, the money was in a separate container from the backpack. At least one of the thieves was seen in the bank lobby when he arrived to pick up the money, and that individual apparently followed him to Portello's where Rodrigo ate lunch, and then again to the resort, striking a few dozen yards before he was safely inside it.

The sequence of events began appx 1:30 pm Wednesday. The backpack w/pipes appeared to be a target of opportunity---a potential bonus to the robbers---so was taken "just because they could."

Sorry for the erroneous info previously. It came from a reliable source, but wasn't first hand.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Walking around alone in the Chicago area with $40k cash?

That kind of cash anywhere. It's the risk you take when you, or the person you're doing a deal with, don't want to leave a paper trail. Of course, a $40,000 withdrawal does get reported, so there's a paper trail.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. porshcigar

porshcigar

Chicago Pipe Show Honcho

Login to Send PM

All of the pipes were stolen from a show exhibitor in the parking lot of the show hotel. Just before the robbery, the exhibitor withdrew a significant amount of cash from a local bank where he was observed by one of the robbers. He was followed to the hotel and robbed as he exited his car. I would describe it as a strong arm robbery with three robbers attacking one exhibitor. They wanted and got the cash, and took everything else from our exhibitor. The pipes were taken as a part of a cash robbery and were not likely the motive for the robbery. The hotel is not at fault for the robbery, the parking lot was only the scene of the crime.

Chicago Pipe Show May 6 & 7, 2017
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

dochudson, I think St. Charles, where the pipe show took place, is well out of the city, really something of a country setting. It's no where near the corporate city limits of the City of Chicago. That's not to say that some of the crime in Chicago doesn't overlap, but that this would be a different atmosphere with a much lower crime rate than some parts of Chicago. Most of Illinois, in terms of square miles, is made of of smaller cities and towns and farms and countryside, and that's St. Charles. As we see, crime is there too, but it could throw off ones calculation of the need for security and the probability of crime. Now with the opioid epidemic, many small town and rural places have a crime problem, and the epidemic draws professional criminals to smaller places. Country folks may be locking their doors and vehicles more these days. Were the pipes a bonus or part of the target? Depends on how planned this heist was. They may have expected standard tourist cash, a few hundred bucks, and a tote of clothes and maybe a bit of jewelry. Or they may have had a bead on the pipe show as bringing in some heavier cash and some pipes of value. The fact that they didn't hurt the victim makes it sound more professional, bigger take and less pressure on law enforcement. Somehow I don't think the sheriff and other law enforcement need my help. Ha! Sounds like security cameras weren't there to help. The table top pipe theft was more pathetic, the usual kleptomaniac longing for the pipe he couldn't buy, probably experiencing it as a gift, as do many thieves. I picked up a nifty motorcycle jacket in Hong Kong off my ship in the Navy, and it was snagged out of a locked locker. Probably a gift from me, in someone's contorted mind.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

maker

Login to Send PM

Really sucks. $40k? I wonder if he was going to try to win the last Ivarsson pipe? I thought it would go for at least 25K.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

maker et all, 40K for a seller that deals in top end high priced pipes is not a huge sum for a show the size of Chicago. For us common folk, it's a different story. The ONLY good side of this is that Rodrigo was not harmed.

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All round discouraging for us and the show.. It's almost as if the thieves knew what Rodrigo would do that day. To have happened to be in the bank and seen him getting all that cash, and then on the spot deciding to rob him. Could be but it seems unlikely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy goodness. One has to assume $49K+ of pipes would be insured somehow?

I'm just glad he's ok. This is disgusting.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While reports of the robbery are indeed sad, they do not surprise me. I'm with Warren that this was a tactical blunder by the victim. Arranging for the delivery of a large amount of cash at an out of town bank raises eyebrows and starts conversations. I suspect that bank camera footage will show the victim taking delivery of the cash within eyesight of other bank customers. Then he goes to lunch, cash in hand? That would give the robber time to muster some support.

I'm not blaming the victim, but this didn't have to happen. The cash could have been delivered directly to the hotel, for a modest fee.

This robbery should in no way diminish the reputations of the show or the hotel. They had nothing to do with it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The cash could have been delivered directly to the hotel, for a modest fee.

Yes. One safe to another. And if I'm withdrawing cash like that, I'm not making pitstops on the way to safety.

I'm not one for victim blaming either, though. Thieves are monsters.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. oldmansmoking

oldmansmoking

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Boy sounds a perfesional job, to take all those pipes. Premeditated!

A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise ☪️
    OLDMANSMOKING
    Posted 1 year ago #
  38. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oldman, I sincerely doubt that the assailants were after (or even knew about) the pipes. Someone is probably smoking mad poundages of crack out of them now.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I would certainly have some concerns about the bank and its personnel, or whoever might have been privy to Rodrigo picking up a large amount of cash. It seems a little too neat to be a coincidence that a robber just happened to be waiting around for him to appear. Still, all just idle speculation on my part. The important thing is that Rodrigo wasn't injured.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The two suspects who demanded the backpack were described as Hispanic, around age 25. One was 5-feet-11-inches tall and 160 pounds wearing a dark shirt, blue jeans and a dark hat, according to the release.

The other suspect was 5-feet-6-inches tall, 140 pounds, with short dark hair and a dark complexion, the release stated.

There was no description available of the driver.

The vehicle was described as a dark colored, four-door, passenger car, the release stated.

That certainly narrows it down to 100,000 to 200,000 suspects in Chicago.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There must be surveillance camera footage.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. kcghost

kcghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am grateful that Rodrigo wasn't harmed. He's a good guy who got a most rude surprise. I am equally grateful that we aren't the ones investigating it. Let's be alert and see if we can get the pipes back.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This does raise a very important issue that few people consider. INSURANCE. My high end pipes are on a rider for my homeowners policy. I recommend that to collectors often, but few people do it.

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's hope that he had business insurance sufficient to cover his loss.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is certainly video in the bank. Probably in the parking lot also and at the hotel parking lot. Those hated insurance companies nearly all demand it as do the Feds with banks. I'd bet this is solved sooner than later. In fact, I'd bet the local cops can name names even as I type this if they are indeed locals who did the robbery.

There are predators and there are prey.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Makes me sick. Though, perhaps oddly, it seems better that the thieves robbers were after cash, and not the pipes. I guess because if it were the latter, it could have been someone we knew.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is very sad...but thank God he was not physically harmed.

He must have a very different perception of the world we live in than I do. There's no way in hell I'd make a cash withdrawal like that and go walking with it...not even 1/4 that amount. And not even if my car was in the bank parking lot unless I was armed.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am so happy he is ok. Hopefully he is insured and recovers, financially. I also hope this turns out to be an inside job or something. If not, the level of success these asshats have achieved could have them preying on future guests of the show.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am equally grateful that we aren't the ones investigating it.- kcghost

Now, that's a great line! Bet Rodrigo is glad, too, Dan!

Pipestud
    Posted 1 year ago #
  50. User has not uploaded an avatar

jonas

Login to Send PM

What a shame.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This sickens me......... I'm glad Rodrigo is safe. Hope the Assholes get caught and get what they deserve.......

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 1 year ago #
  52. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Glad to hear that our initial, "Who the heck in this community would do that?!?", reaction isn't really what happened. This community is full of great people.

Would have been interesting to see the detective's reaction to the value of the pipes.

Good to hear Rodrigo is safe. Hope he had insurance on the pipes or somehow they're able to end up back to him.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The show itself is a bit of a recipe for this kind of thing. When I was there in 2015, a large chunk of the sellers only took cash. I knew that in advance and had about $5k on me, which made me a tad nervous. I would suspect that there were many others walking around like that. I am sure Rodrigo was going to use the cash to buy pipes that he would on-sell.

I am glad he is ok and I hope Frank Voight figures out who did this.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His/her reaction was probably, "Is that what you have in them?" I'm guessing the listed prices above are retail. He's out only what he has invested in them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. leacha

leacha

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All,

Bottom line. Kevin posted the images so let's save 'em, remember them and report it if found.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

a large chunk of the sellers only took cash

At the Fine Art shows that I do, it is against event policy to ask for "cash only," plus it decreases sales with so many people exclusively using cards these days. With FourSquare and all of the other card readers available for iDevice uses, it seems very... fishy to ask for cash. I realize that most people may not be full-time businesses, but they practically give those card readers away when you merely register with PayPal mobile POS, or FourSqare, and the fees are ridiculously low compared to what a B&M would have to pay. Many B&M's are switching to using iPads for their POS machines.

Yeh, I am not about to walk around Chicago with a wad of cash in my pocket. That's just stupid.

Posted 1 year ago #
  57. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Having been a regular at the West Coast Show for the past 6 years or so it's just been second nature to me to take cash to the show. Most exhibitors selling typically want or only deal in cash. On top of that it's better as a shopper to stay on budget if you stick to cash. Once you're out you're out instead of a card where you can just keep on charging and racking up debt you didn't plan for.

Maybe in the future we do move more towards the card swipers or Facebook Pay. I don't see it happening really soon though cause like everything it will take some big name doing it and everyone else slowly joining in. It's definitely a much safer way to do sales, that I agree.

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer the credit card and wee bit of self-control.

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Credit cards do eventually stop letting you make charges... :::cough cough::: or, erm,... so I am told.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmmm. From the descriptions, if they are local (within a few counties) it might be easy to track them. If they are moving elsewhere, and get lost in the crowd, and change vehicles, it could be tricky. The fate of the pipes depends on their fence. They aren't going on ebay. They'll fence them and get their ten percent, and the fence will resell 'em. The specificity of loot could help track them. Or maybe the perps will take the cash, and dumpster the pipes. Hope they make mistakes and get snagged.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If one of the perps was caught on security footage and can be ID'd, maybe there's a chance that Rodrigo gets his money back. Odds are the pipes are in a dumpster.

Lots of cash floats around a pipe show. That just seems to be the custom. All that's needed is for someone to become aware of the potential for making a score, identify who the best possibilities might be, and be ready for an opportunity.

Maybe it's just an unfortunate coincidence. Maybe it's someone connected to the bank. Maybe it's someone connected to the venue.

Reminds me of when I was a diamond and jewelry courier. You learned to watch your surroundings and you learned to be inconspicuous.

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If a bank employee was involved, this isn't a "one time" operation.

If I was getting 40 grand from a bank, the transaction certainly wouldn't take place at a teller's window. That's enough money to get some special treatment and have the transaction conducted in an enclosed room. Which may have happened. No teller can handle such a transaction without permission and immediate oversight in a neighborhood bank. "inconspicuous" is the keyword.

Reminds me of when I was a diamond and jewelry courier. You learned to watch your surroundings and you learned to be inconspicuous.
    And, in my experience hire a bit of security, one in front a few yards and another in the rear.
    That's simply a deductible business expense.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse is 100% correct. Only in the rarest of rare instance have pipes been recovered that were not dumped into a trash can. No one, absolutely NO ONE gives any monetary value to a stinky old pipe, except another pipesmoker. The bag they were in would have held more value to the thief. The rest of the entire world see pipe collecting up there in the same genre as Beanie Babies or people who collect wigs.

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used PayPal mobile for several of my purchases at the show. Due to the metal building, I had to walk outside to get a signal but it worked quite well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. londonmake

londonmake

Login to Send PM

At least Rodrigo was not harmed.
    Time to get security guards for the grounds, not just the event hall.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, thieves don't want to handle loot that doesn't have a major ready market. Other than art thieves, and these aren't those. If a local found the bag of pipes and took it back to Pheasant Run, if they knew about the pipe show, that might be the only outside chance. Less than unlikely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And who just hangs around inside a bank? It's not like you can go into a bank and just chill without raising suspicions. At the very least, you would have an employee trying to sell you something.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  68. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Loan officers, investment advisors, low level managers, people waiting an appointment, customers, security guards, janitors, etc. all "hang" around inside banks. Then there are the people loitering around outside, particularly mall branches, eyeballing the customers, following some inside, standing in the line and observing. More than you would think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Art thieves, in my experience, work not on spec but with a paying customer.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My guess is that if those pipes aren’t in a Chicago dumpster, they were packed with something else that evening.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred