PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am grateful that Rodrigo wasn't harmed. He's a good guy who got a most rude surprise. I am equally grateful that we aren't the ones investigating it. Let's be alert and see if we can get the pipes back.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
This does raise a very important issue that few people consider. INSURANCE. My high end pipes are on a rider for my homeowners policy. I recommend that to collectors often, but few people do it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There is certainly video in the bank. Probably in the parking lot also and at the hotel parking lot. Those hated insurance companies nearly all demand it as do the Feds with banks. I'd bet this is solved sooner than later. In fact, I'd bet the local cops can name names even as I type this if they are indeed locals who did the robbery.
There are predators and there are prey.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Makes me sick. Though, perhaps oddly, it seems better that the thieves robbers were after cash, and not the pipes. I guess because if it were the latter, it could have been someone we knew.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is very sad...but thank God he was not physically harmed.
He must have a very different perception of the world we live in than I do. There's no way in hell I'd make a cash withdrawal like that and go walking with it...not even 1/4 that amount. And not even if my car was in the bank parking lot unless I was armed.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am so happy he is ok. Hopefully he is insured and recovers, financially. I also hope this turns out to be an inside job or something. If not, the level of success these asshats have achieved could have them preying on future guests of the show.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Glad to hear that our initial, "Who the heck in this community would do that?!?", reaction isn't really what happened. This community is full of great people.
Would have been interesting to see the detective's reaction to the value of the pipes.
Good to hear Rodrigo is safe. Hope he had insurance on the pipes or somehow they're able to end up back to him.

Dec 24, 2012
The show itself is a bit of a recipe for this kind of thing. When I was there in 2015, a large chunk of the sellers only took cash. I knew that in advance and had about $5k on me, which made me a tad nervous. I would suspect that there were many others walking around like that. I am sure Rodrigo was going to use the cash to buy pipes that he would on-sell.
I am glad he is ok and I hope Frank Voight figures out who did this.

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
All,
Bottom line. Kevin posted the images so let's save 'em, remember them and report it if found.

a large chunk of the sellers only took cash

At the Fine Art shows that I do, it is against event policy to ask for "cash only," plus it decreases sales with so many people exclusively using cards these days. With FourSquare and all of the other card readers available for iDevice uses, it seems very... fishy to ask for cash. I realize that most people may not be full-time businesses, but they practically give those card readers away when you merely register with PayPal mobile POS, or FourSqare, and the fees are ridiculously low compared to what a B&M would have to pay. Many B&M's are switching to using iPads for their POS machines.
Yeh, I am not about to walk around Chicago with a wad of cash in my pocket. That's just stupid.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Having been a regular at the West Coast Show for the past 6 years or so it's just been second nature to me to take cash to the show. Most exhibitors selling typically want or only deal in cash. On top of that it's better as a shopper to stay on budget if you stick to cash. Once you're out you're out instead of a card where you can just keep on charging and racking up debt you didn't plan for.
Maybe in the future we do move more towards the card swipers or Facebook Pay. I don't see it happening really soon though cause like everything it will take some big name doing it and everyone else slowly joining in. It's definitely a much safer way to do sales, that I agree.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. From the descriptions, if they are local (within a few counties) it might be easy to track them. If they are moving elsewhere, and get lost in the crowd, and change vehicles, it could be tricky. The fate of the pipes depends on their fence. They aren't going on ebay. They'll fence them and get their ten percent, and the fence will resell 'em. The specificity of loot could help track them. Or maybe the perps will take the cash, and dumpster the pipes. Hope they make mistakes and get snagged.

Status
Not open for further replies.