Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk » British Pipes

Tags:  No tags yet. 

STOLEN!: 1926 Barling Spigot

(87 posts)
  1. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At last weekend's Greater Kansas City Pipe Club Pipe Show a 1926 Barling Spigot was stolen. This is an incredibly uncommon pipe, so if you happen to catch a glimpse of such a pipe, you are most likely looking at stolen property.

The Pipedia Barling Page has images of a Barling with 1926 hallmarks. If I get permission, I will post an image of the pipe shape from Jesse Silver's Barling Catalog reproduction.

https://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

You have my permission. I think that I can do you one better. I have pictures of the actual stolen pipe from the original eBay sale at the beginning of 2016. What makes this particular Barling easy to identify is that it is one of the very few from the 1920's that actually has a model number stamped on it, and it's the only one like this that I have ever seen. Look at the second image and you can clearly see the model number stamped on the shank.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And here is the catalogue pipe with the tarnish removed. What a shame. Stolen off a table, from a room- anyone know? Who would do such a thing?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a lovely pipe. I hope someone realizes their mistake and returns it.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks gentlemen! Sable, I am so glad you saved the photos. The pipe was swiped right off a table.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing worse than a fucking thief. NOTHING.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. danielplainview

dave g

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear the bad news. What a scumbag. Good luck on the recovery.

Make aromatics great again.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How low will some people go? That's horrible.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing worse than a fucking thief. NOTHING.

YES! ....

"the weez"...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Didn't something similar happen last year or the year before? Or was that a different pipe show? I wonder what ever happened with that one. Regardless, I hope it turns out. There's also a chance it ended up in someone bag by mistake. Lots of pipes being moved around with a lot of people, it's possible it ended up somewhere it wasn't meant to.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr. Rosenthal, I hope you are right, but I fear those suspecting a scumbag are more likely correct

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hold child molesters as the devil's closest children, but thieves are high up on the list. Hope the pipe is returned.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

This is how you have to think ok, how many barling collectors are there really? Who would really think this worth stealing other than a serious barling collector? Was it just stolen by an idiot because it's old? How many pipe collects even live in the greater Kansas city area and how big could the greater Kansas city area pipe show even be?

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

This is how you have to think ok, how many barling collectors are there really? Who would really think this worth stealing other than a serious barling collector? Was it just stolen by an idiot because it's old? How many pipe collects even live in the greater Kansas city area and how big could the greater Kansas city area pipe show even be?

If someone is that smart to steal a very rare pipe, he would have thought in advance what you are thinking right now.

Didn't something similar happen last year or the year before? Or was that a different pipe show? I wonder what ever happened with that one.

Last year few pipes were stolen from a pipe show, but they were found. Someone put them to his bag by mistake if I am correct.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Looking at this pipe's pictures, I would like to steal it myself.... marvelous piece
    Or shoot the guy that stole it.

We are a community, for god's sake. This is like stealing from the family.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm going to post this on a couple other forums to get the word out. You never know if this creep might try to sell it on the 'net.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Thank goodness Jesse is able to give everybody a heads-up on identification.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Mr. Jim!

As for some of the other comments, whoever took it knew exactly what they were doing. There were bigger, flashier pipes all around the Barling.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Is this correct that the last several pipes that were reported stolen at shows were actually just misplaced?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Is this correct that the last several pipes that were reported stolen at shows were actually just misplaced?

Are we talking about the same thing?

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a past thread from maybe last year in which a pipe reportedly stolen at a pipe show, was recovered several days later. I don't remember any details.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  22. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

OK, I remember that now. I read jvnshr's post too quickly, sans coffee.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow that sucks. It's funny I tend to hold pipe smokers to a higher standard and just expect them to not do this kind of thing.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. bluegrasspipe

bluegrasspipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Man that is an awful loss. I hope you get it back!

For tho' at my simile many may joke,
    Man is but a pipe—and his life but smoke.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  25. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

26. craiginthecorn

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry Buroak. I'll keep an eye out. And to the slimeball that stole it, anything you smoke in it will have the sour taste of your deed tainting it. If you're reading this, find a discreet way to return it to buroak and make things right.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From whom was the pipe stolen?

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

From whom was the pipe stolen?

It was stolen from Buroak's table. He had brought it to the Greater Kansas City Pipe Show to sell. This really sucks and this is one time where I hope that Karma is a real bitch.

You guys have pictures and you know what makes this pipe easy to identify. Please keep an eye out. I'll be hunting at the WCPS. If anyone gets a lead, let Buroak know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Came to this thread thinking "stolen" was hyperbole and expecting to read about someone making an amazing eBay score on a vintage pipe.

Sad to see to this.

I imagine the thief sitting alone in his basement, lights dimmed, smoking the thing -- since he certainly cannot go out among decent people.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was stolen from Buroak's table.

I'm really sorry to hear this. It's a loss to Buroak both financially and spiritually. I don't know how someone can steal like this and actually enjoy smoking the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan, its super easy to enjoy smoking a pipe you stole....If you're and unrepentant piece of shit. I'm an unrepentant hater of anyone that steals.

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I imagine the thief sitting alone in his basement, lights dimmed, smoking the thing -- since he certainly cannot go out among decent people.

His parent's basement.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/stolen-charatan-at-ny-pipe-show-3122016

I posted this, or rather re-posted it from Dennis at the time. Hopefully the Barling incident will turn out as well as the Charatan one did.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

May thieves rot. There aren't many feelings worse than having something stolen from you, so I'm really sorry to hear this news. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it shows up. In the meantime, pictures and information about this pipe must continue to be plastered everywhere throughout the pipe smoking community in hopes it is found. Kudos to those who have already posted on other sites in order to spread the word.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've shared this post on the Standard Tobacco Co.'s FB page.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

JimInks has been getting the word out to other forums and to the Facebook groups. I'll send out messages to online dealers. Perhaps some of them will already be aware of it. If it shows up on eBay I'll know about it and file a complaint. Any of you who belong to pipe clubs, please let your members know about the theft and this thread so that they can see the pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was once a point of pride in the pipe collecting community that NOTHING was EVER stolen at shows. Security was unnecessary.

That lasted until the early 1990's.

Usually pipe thieves are just greedy, amoral idiots who think stealing things in general is OK. What doesn't matter, only that it's worth a few dollars does. Your average Wal-Mart pants stuffer.

When a particular piece that's UNREMARKABLE TO NON-COLLECTORS gets lifted from the middle of a crowded table, though, it means it was one of US who did it.

There was once an Indiana Highway Patrolman (!) who answered a call at a collector's house, saw his stuff, and came back a week later to steal it all. Hundreds of top-grade Charatans. He got caught and did hard time---he didn't realize briar grain is as unique as fingerprints---but even he was just a greedy, amoral idiot. He wasn't evil.

The creature who took buroak's Barling is evil. A lurking, false-fronted snake.

There's a chance he's even reading this thread.

If so, asshole, know that I'd spit in your face and gut you like a fish if I had the opportunity.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Absolutely This ^^^^

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I posted about this at four forums and the three biggest Facebook pipe forums. Let's hope this weasel tries to sell it and get caught. I'd love see him get his real bad.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The highway patrolman was from North Carolina, was an active collector, and traveled to Indiana specifically to steal the Charatan's. I knew the victim well, had met the thief, and have read the trial transcript. An Atlanta shop owner more or less vouched for the thief and he disposed of some of the pipes in trades with collectors he met in the shop. He was caught because he sold some pipes to Fader's in Baltimore for cash. A collector, not from Baltimore, came into Fader's, recognized one of the victim's pipes and asked the owner where he got it The owner had never heard of the theft, but got law enforcement involved immediately. In those days, before the internet and several pipe shows a year, the thief might very well have gotten away with it. As it was, the case was not open and shut (as I recall there was only circumstantial evidence to place the thief in Indiana)) and was appealed before the thief ultimately did serve time. In those days before the internet and several pipe shows a year, the thief came very close to getting away with it. He was evil.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

Why was the highway patrolman not evil? Sounds like an evil son of a bitch to me, and that was before I read he stole the pipes!

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why was the highway patrolman not evil?

I originally thought so because (from my understanding) it was just a crime of opportunity. Stupid, greedy, selfish, and etc., but no manipulation or violated personal trust was involved.

In the past few minutes I've done a bit of digging, though, only to discover those latter things were EXACTLY what the crime hinged upon.

So, yes, the asshat was indeed evil. My bad.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

fallsguy

Login to Send PM

45. markinca53

markinca53

Login to Send PM

Buroak, I'm sorry for your loss of this vintage briar. A few questions come to mind in regards to the theft. Do you remember what time and day you last saw the pipe and when you actually noticed it missing? This way we know what day and have a time window to be looking at when the theft actually occurred. Where the event was held and where your table was located in the particular venue, were there any sort of surveillance cameras located nearby and possibly pointed in the direction of the table? Was there anyone in or around the area of this "time window" that you can remember who may have been using a handheld video camera, using a cell phone to record video, or someone shooting digital photographs? I mention video surveillance because companies that use these features generally have a storage capacity that will last for up to 30 days before the images are destroyed and the re-recorded process begins anew. I'm simply throwing this out there for another avenue to identify the scumbag. This may not be to some, a major bank heist, but it is a theft of an object with value that is approximately over 90 years of age. This really pi**** me off, and I hope the thief gets exactly what he or she deserves...

"Release your worry - God will work out his plans for your life..." Psalm 138 8
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Last year few pipes were stolen from a pipe show, but they were found. Someone put them to his bag by mistake if I am correct.
    Ok. I remember that story now. Thanks. I still hope a similar incident happened this time, and that the pipe will be returned no harm no foul. After getting more of the story, though, it seems more unlikely.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. User has not uploaded an avatar

pipeman7

Login to Send PM

How many people attended the show? How many serious Barling collectors in the US that aren't part of the online pipe smoking community?

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately, a lot of the big dollar collectors aren't in forums, etc. (Rich Esserman, a couple of heavy hitters from the Philly & NYC clubs, etc.)

Al

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks again for all of the kind thoughts, sympathy, and help. A happy ending to this story is unlikely, but you folks keep me hoping. The highway patrolman story tells me justice is not impossible here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Markinca53, the pipe was stolen Saturday before early afternoon. I don’t recall anyone taking videos or photos with a phone that day. I’m not sure whether the casino has cameras in the banquet hall we used.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Lou C (NYC Pipe Club) shared this to their Facebook page, I then forwarded it to the Pipes & Tobacco page as well. I'm hoping for a good outcome!

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's hard to believe a casino doesn't have just about every inch of its public spaces, including gambling/dining/meeting venues, covered with security cameras. Getting access to the "tapes" is another matter. I would guess a police report is the beginning of the process, but don't really know.

Posted 1 year ago #
  53. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al: you made a good point about major collectors not being on forums. Hopefully, those of us who know such people and have their contact info, will contact them with a link to this thread.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Al!

Mr. Guss, I will check about the cameras. I also plan to file a report, but that must be done in person.

Posted 1 year ago #
  55. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It might help to have one of the show organizers give you their contact's info at the casino. Finding someone who already knows the event and is presumably sympathetic has got to be better than going in cold. They might confirm whether security cameras cover the venue, and if so what it takes to access the footage.

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"There's a chance he's even reading this thread."

I'd like to believe that the low life who filched the pipe isn't a member of this forum.

Whoever he (or she) was, I should imagine they would have great difficulty in moving it on and if of course they try to then there is a high chance of them being found out and the pipe being returned to its rightful owner.

Good luck Buroak...

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

Rotten apples eaten up by greed are, unfortunately, everywhere.

"Tobacco is my favorite vegetable". Frank Zappa (Yeah, baby; yeah!)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  58. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I spoke with Quinton Wells, the KC club president earlier today about this situation, and he followed it up with an email. (He's presently traveling)

He asked me to cut and paste this paragraph:

The Kansas City Pipe Club would like to extend its thanks to the many individuals and other pipe clubs around the country who are assisting in the attempted recovery of Adam Brown's Barling. While theft is one of the most disgusting of human behaviors, their coming together to help each other when unfortunate things happen is one of the most inspiring. Again, thank you all. -- QRW

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I spoke with Quinton Wells, the KC club president earlier today about this situation, and he followed it up with an email. (He's presently traveling)

George, did you discuss contacting the casino regarding security footage?

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes.

Info on that sort of thing was presented to the club reps during the Argosy's "sales pitch" back when the site was selected, and Q remembers being astonished by the thoroughness of the video coverage on the casino floor. (Don't try to cheat a casino in the 21st century! ) The rest of the property is just normal, though. Long shot hallway views, elevators, parking lots, etc. No banquet room cameras that he can recall.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Let's hope this weasel tries to sell it and get caught.

Now Jim, lets go easy on the terminology there buddy. You will hurt my feelings!

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are weasels and there are Weezells. You're the good weezell.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a Beatles lyric, " I am the weezell,kookookachoo"...

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

65. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The '69 pipe on Ebay didn't break $100, what's was wrong there?

Ignorance. Once a certain writer on matters to do with pipes wrote that all things Barling had turned to shit after Imperial took over, the value of all things Barling under Imperial took a dive at the hands of his unquestioning acolytes. The truth is more complicated. Suffice it to say, that pipe could be the best smoker the buyer every finds, or it could be very average. Quality became uneven, but excellent pipes continued to be made after Imperial took over.

Posted 1 year ago #
  66. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

Hope they find the culprit, thats a shame...

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  67. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh my, maybe I should reconsider my avoidance of eBay.....

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Bump! I'm going to bump this one for a while, just in case someone spots this pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. briarblues

briarblues

Login to Send PM

Jesse;

Posted it on the Briar Blues website and on Facebook. One of my clients ( that was at the show ) said he thought it had been found. Any confirmation?

Regards
    Michael J. Glukler

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Michael,

I haven't heard anything about it being found. I'll shoot Adam (the owner of the stolen pipe) an email to see if he has an update.

Jesse

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hugodrax, dmcmtk, jiminks, georged, f5rd2hy, jttnk