PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
At last weekend's Greater Kansas City Pipe Club Pipe Show a 1926 Barling Spigot was stolen. This is an incredibly uncommon pipe, so if you happen to catch a glimpse of such a pipe, you are most likely looking at stolen property.
The Pipedia Barling Page has images of a Barling with 1926 hallmarks. If I get permission, I will post an image of the pipe shape from Jesse Silver's Barling Catalog reproduction.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Barling

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You have my permission. I think that I can do you one better. I have pictures of the actual stolen pipe from the original eBay sale at the beginning of 2016. What makes this particular Barling easy to identify is that it is one of the very few from the 1920's that actually has a model number stamped on it, and it's the only one like this that I have ever seen. Look at the second image and you can clearly see the model number stamped on the shank.
wtIAiBd.jpg

eBTKGnR.jpg

CjXrcYP.jpg

ZyU6jeh.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And here is the catalogue pipe with the tarnish removed. What a shame. Stolen off a table, from a room- anyone know? Who would do such a thing?
1909SilverSpigot.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks gentlemen! Sable, I am so glad you saved the photos. The pipe was swiped right off a table.

Jan 8, 2013
Didn't something similar happen last year or the year before? Or was that a different pipe show? I wonder what ever happened with that one. Regardless, I hope it turns out. There's also a chance it ended up in someone bag by mistake. Lots of pipes being moved around with a lot of people, it's possible it ended up somewhere it wasn't meant to.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
<p>Mr. Rosenthal, I hope you are right, but I fear those suspecting a scumbag are more likely correct

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I hold child molesters as the devil's closest children, but thieves are high up on the list. Hope the pipe is returned.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
This is how you have to think ok, how many barling collectors are there really? Who would really think this worth stealing other than a serious barling collector? Was it just stolen by an idiot because it's old? How many pipe collects even live in the greater Kansas city area and how big could the greater Kansas city area pipe show even be?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
This is how you have to think ok, how many barling collectors are there really? Who would really think this worth stealing other than a serious barling collector? Was it just stolen by an idiot because it's old? How many pipe collects even live in the greater Kansas city area and how big could the greater Kansas city area pipe show even be?
If someone is that smart to steal a very rare pipe, he would have thought in advance what you are thinking right now.
Didn't something similar happen last year or the year before? Or was that a different pipe show? I wonder what ever happened with that one.
Last year few pipes were stolen from a pipe show, but they were found. Someone put them to his bag by mistake if I am correct.

admiral

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2017
Looking at this pipe's pictures, I would like to steal it myself.... marvelous piece

Or shoot the guy that stole it.
We are a community, for god's sake. This is like stealing from the family.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm going to post this on a couple other forums to get the word out. You never know if this creep might try to sell it on the 'net.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks Mr. Jim!
As for some of the other comments, whoever took it knew exactly what they were doing. There were bigger, flashier pipes all around the Barling.

Status
Not open for further replies.