PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I recently purchased pipes off eBay and the majority have stingers. I was wondering what your opinions are on them and if they are helpful or more of a burden.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Stingers, I have found, will render a pipe useless in a very short time.

They tend to clog and some will not allow a pipe cleaner through them.

So, what do you do? Simple, pull that sucker out.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks Lawrence I just didn't know if they had a purpose. I will remove them and see if that helps with the draw. Will it devalue the pipe though? I suppose they aren't worth that much anyways haha.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
What about a screw together pipe where te metal part that screws is a stinger? I suppose leaving it is the only option.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I am currently out of town so I only have my iPhone with me and therefore can't post pictures. However, pictures of the pipes taken apart are in the "good deal?" thread. Sorry I can post pictures when I get back into town tomorrow night.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Hobie1dog wrote:
Including me, all the other newbies to pipe smoking would like to see a picture of what a stinger looks like.
Here is a stinger from a Chacom. I have a Chacom and it came with an identical stinger and was relieved to find out that it unscrewed very easily. I've never used it and never will.
chacom4Small.jpg

Here is one from a Kaywoodie Drinkless (a misnomer in my experience). The Kaywoodies I've owned, I've given away rather than modify. If I had no one to give them to, I'd definitely get out the hacksaw and save myself the angst.
kaywoodie.jpg

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My first Savinelli had a stinger. It didn't hurt the draw or anything. The only problem was not being able to get a pipe cleaner through it (while smoking). The stinger came out easily for cleaning purposes. I guess it is there to keep tobacco juices out of your mouth.
The stinger broke in half so I threw it away. I haven't really noticed any difference in the smoking experience with or without it.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks for the advice guys I will take the stingers off when I get back in town.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I like the other just throw them out... If it was a highly collectable pipe, I would keep it (but I have none of those).
As for the screw in stinger, I personally have never found a stinger that hasn't come out. Some of the stingers look like the are part of the threads on the screw in stem (they aren't) but if you soak it in alcohol for about 30 minutes, it should come out pretty easy.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
HERE is a blog post Adam Davidson did recently about the many different type of stingers. Gives just a little history on them and the picture shows just a few of the many different type of stingers.

I always just pop mine out and smoke without it in.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
I have a Dr Graybow Savoy imported brier pipe with a removable metal piece in the stem. Is this a Stinger?

Status
Not open for further replies.