PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I personally like my Kaywoodie and it's drinkless-ness. I never have any problems ramming my pipe cleaner up far enough to get rid of a gurgle, and that's all I care about doing whilst smoking the pipe. Once I cools, I have no problems with getting a cleaner all the way through the stem and the shank.

And compared to my non-stingered pipes I prefer the Kaywoodie's smoking experience...especially not sucking in large particulate matter!

I guess it's all personal preference.

Cheers.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Mr. Davidson's blog article leaves out the Peterson System. Besides the P-Lip and well, Peterson had a stem extension cast as part of the stem that went past the smoke hole opening in the shank. The idea was to create turbulance in the smoke stream and cause some of the moisture to drop out, thus giving a drier smoke. Peterson patented this in 1890 and the current style P-lip in 1898.

As for the stinger question, (they are condensers) try the pipe with it in place. If it smokes well for you, leaave it in. If not, remove it and try it again. Peterson has a screw-in condenser in their Premier and Deluxe grades. I have several pipes in those grades and I have removed the condensers from them. Haveing said that, Peterson has changed the design of the condenser. The old style had 4 holes. One large hole in the end and three small holes in the side. Those almost always gurgled. The new design has one large hole in the end and none in the side. They work well with no gurgle with my toibaccos or style of smoking. they create the turbulance of the cast stem extension and do give a dry smoke.

The only disadvantage to any condenser (stinger) I can think of is they alter the flavor of the tobacco. The flavor is carried in the droplets of moisture and by removing some of them, the flavor is weakened.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
The Peterson System

Peterson_cutaway.jpg

ernest

Can't Leave
Aug 31, 2010
Ya chuckw-The Peterson stem extension works real well.After smoking Peterson for my first time and understanding the theory behind it,I've never looked back.When the pipe cools down just pull off the stem,wind up some kleenex,and remove the moisture that has collected bellow the smoke hole in the reservoir.The problem is I'm so hooked on the Petersons for that alone and have become selfish in my ways and am ignoring what could probably be a good smoke with other makes of pipes as well.For now I'm happy.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I too would like to try a peterson. But, I have way too many pipes as it is. I will be working on my TAD now :).

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
Just received my Lark w/metal stinger.

I gave it the alcohol and salt bath and cleaned it up for the first smoke latter today.

This is my first "stinger" pipe, will let you know my thoughts on the subject.

Anyone know what years the Lark was made w/ metal stinger?

Got it on e-bay for $15.

bob1

Lurker
Dec 15, 2011
Had my first smoke with the Lark today, all in all a good smoke.

The draw was very easy and light even with the metal stinger (filter) installed.

I enjoyed smoking this little pipe....

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Like so many aspects of the pipe, it all depends.
I smoke several bowls with and without the stinger and let the pipe decide.

If I can tell no difference in the quality of the smoke I pull the stinger.

Some pipes have been engineered it would seem with the stingers effect on the overall flow qualities in mind. The draw on my Dr.G "Westbrook" is much better with the stinger in place than it is when removed. Without the stinger it's a gurgling mess while with the stinger it's among my favorite pipes.
It all depends...

mikewi

Lurker
Dec 16, 2011
You can do what you like to your own pipes to suit your tastes, but I will say that I will not buy any kaywoodies that have been cut like this (just an example, I know they aren't the only ones out there!). If you plan on being able to sell them some time in the future, I'd recommend leaving them whole.
That said, I'll happily admit to a whole lot of prejudice here! :) I just hate pipes being permanently altered from their original state. If I had a pipe that didn't smoke well for me without doing that, I'd sell it to someone that does appreciate it.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Ever notice it is mostly only cheap pipes that have stingers? I have always thought they were there to make up for something.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i had a pipe with a stinger years ago and didn't like it at all. have no idea what happened to the pipe. probably threw it out.

nooge

Lurker
Nov 21, 2011
UK
I would leave the stingers in, I have never noticed any difference in draw or taste... For sure you cannot get a pipe cleaner through but that's the trade off for the fact they are designed to collect moisture... They are condensers.
They were also developed at a time when there were many more pipe smokers in the world.... searching for the driest coolest smoke... give them a try before you get the hacksaw out!
Cheers
Justin

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
On my vintage Kaywoodie, I left the stinger in and it smokes just fine. I use Dills pipe cleaners and they make cleaning the small holes a cinch. On my also-vintage Longchamps, the stingers looked like a drill bit and they were a screw in type, so I just unscrewed them and put them in a drawer. None of my new pipes have one. I chuck paper filters out, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.