Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

So My Calabash Arrived After All (pic heavy!!!)

(20 posts)
  1. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Mr. Schrier really knows what's the best. This calabash is fabulous.

And what you are about to see are some detailed pictures of my new (first) gourd calabash pipe.

The problem: it's also my first estate pipe.

I know that I already put a post about taking care of an estate gourd calabash, but I'm still a novice, so I don't really know what the Hell I'm supposed to do.

Since I included detailed pictures, could you please help me out with what I'm REALLY supposed to do?

Oh yeah, and what alcohol should I use? I got a rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl 99%) but somebody once told me that I should not use isopropyl for pipes. Then what the heck am I supposed to do?

What should I do with oxidation of the stem? And how do I sanitize it?

I also realized that a cake is starting to build up in the bowl. What should I do to remove it?

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet! Would like one of those my self!

Congress seems to believe that 'Children are our future' is a phrase coined by tobacco advertisers.
    Jef I. Richards
    Posted 7 years ago #
  3. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't over-think it. As for alcohol, opinions vary on using rubbing alcohol. I use either grain alcohol (like Everclear) or just 151 rum.

For the stem, rub the outside with with the alcohol and for the interior just dip pipe cleaners into the alcohol and use normally. That may not shine the stem or clean the oxidation, but it will sterilize it. There are dozens of posts here about cleaning oxidation; magic erasers, metal polish, oxy-clean. I don't recommend using bleach but there are those who do.

I think you got a lot of great suggestions in your last post. I'd refer to that.

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. loneredtree

loneredtree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+1 bigvan

Do a search here on stem cleaning and polishing.

Check this thread out for gourd cleaning especially the comments by fred.
    http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cleaning-a-calabash#post-160533
    The bowl may be made from meerschaum scraps and will come apart if soaked with alcohol.

There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable. Mark Twain

“Very few people are focusing on the potential damage this ill-conceived and hastily assembled homage to the ability of bureaucrats to conceive of all manner of problems where problems don't exist then apply solutions to those problems that only create new problems without solving the original problems at all will bring to many sectors.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  5. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thats a nice one, and it has a makers mark on it! I have no idea who made mine, though I suspect it is a Pioneer.
    Wonderful smoking pipes. Enjoy!

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. mluyckx

BelgianTex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For the stem, do this: http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstickman/pipe-smoking/from-stem-to-stern-pipe-stem-restoration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/
    Does it work ? I just posted sm before and after here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/micro-mesh-rules

I don't have a calabash, so can't help you there.

Good luck

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 7 years ago #
  7. deithial

deithial

Login to Send PM

wow thats a head turner for sure, its a beaut

Posted 7 years ago #
  8. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful! Congrats. I'm gonna have to get one of those one day...every pipe collection's gotta have at least one calabash.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 7 years ago #
  9. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

I think the oxidation on the stem turned out to be pretty bad... even rubbing with isopropyl-soaked paper towels doesn't do it... Fortunately, inside of the stem doesn't have any significant build-up of those nasty stuff... I guess I gotta try that Oxyclean method...

Posted 7 years ago #
  10. mushjoon

mushjoon

Login to Send PM

Darn it.. I just realized that I don't have any Oxiclean... but I don't wanna buy a whole jar of Oxiclean just to handle a stem. Are there any similar product that will do the work? I have Ajax and Clorox in my shelf. Would those work?

Posted 7 years ago #
  11. jaysin

jaysin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jewlers rouge works great on stems and is cheep.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  12. tokerpipes

tokerpipes

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oxidation is really not a big deal. Get some really fine steel wool and that wil take it down then follow up with obsidion. Oxidation happens. And looking at the pics its not too bad. It may just need that stuff under your right arm, Elbo Grease. Good luck and check out your last post there was a lot of great info.

If you can't pack it, light it, and smoke it then why do it. It's a dieing art that must be rekindled in all of us as fortold by our forefathers.

Words to live by for all pipe smokers.
    Posted 7 years ago #
  13. nightmarejones

nightmarejones

Login to Send PM

For one of mine I didn't have anything but iso and a couple of srubbers [scotch bright scouring pad and steel wool 0000 grade].It came out pretty good.It did have some lines but a decent shine and it got all the oxidation off in about 2 hours of alternating scrubbers and plenty of iso

Posted 7 years ago #
  14. koshersmoke

koshersmoke

Login to Send PM

wow that pipe is huge. good snag.

Posted 6 years ago #
  15. jchaplick

jchaplick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good buy, my calabash is easily my best smoking pipe. It is fantastic, I hope you enjoy yours

Posted 6 years ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

john218

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few days ago, I noticed that the entire stem on my Pioneer calabash was a light brown. I did a quick job cleaning it with auto rubbing compound and polishing compound, followed by Novus number 3 and 2 scratch remover. I finished with Obsidian. Not the glasslike shine of an Oxyclean/ micromesh treatment, but it did come out very good. The oxidation is completely gone and my stem looked much worse than yours. That's a nice looking calabash. Enjoy!

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power"

Abraham Lincoln
    Posted 6 years ago #
  17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Good move with the Novus. Some 3000 grit wet paper from Autozone would probably bring up the shine, that stuff is as close to micromesh as I've seen. Or send me the stem and I'll do it for you (just ask for a few bucks to ship it back).

Al

Posted 6 years ago #
  18. terry

terry

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice pipe!!

Posted 6 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

mikros

Login to Send PM

That thing is sweet! I will obtain one someday...

Posted 6 years ago #
  20. topd

TopD

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice Calabash, and it wasn't all that bad in the first place. (I've seen much worse).

Steve 'Top' Downey
    Master Sergeant
    USMC - Retired
    Posted 6 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ssjones, mikethompson, jfred, chasingembers, leafsmoker