So My Calabash Arrived After All (pic heavy!!!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Mr. Schrier really knows what's the best. This calabash is fabulous.
And what you are about to see are some detailed pictures of my new (first) gourd calabash pipe.
The problem: it's also my first estate pipe.
I know that I already put a post about taking care of an estate gourd calabash, but I'm still a novice, so I don't really know what the Hell I'm supposed to do.
Since I included detailed pictures, could you please help me out with what I'm REALLY supposed to do?
Oh yeah, and what alcohol should I use? I got a rubbing alcohol (Isopropyl 99%) but somebody once told me that I should not use isopropyl for pipes. Then what the heck am I supposed to do?
What should I do with oxidation of the stem? And how do I sanitize it?
I also realized that a cake is starting to build up in the bowl. What should I do to remove it?
SNV30109.jpg

SNV30110.jpg

SNV30111.jpg

SNV30112.jpg

SNV30113.jpg

SNV30115.jpg

SNV30116.jpg

SNV30117.jpg

SNV30118.jpg

SNV30119.jpg

SNV30120.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I wouldn't over-think it. As for alcohol, opinions vary on using rubbing alcohol. I use either grain alcohol (like Everclear) or just 151 rum.
For the stem, rub the outside with with the alcohol and for the interior just dip pipe cleaners into the alcohol and use normally. That may not shine the stem or clean the oxidation, but it will sterilize it. There are dozens of posts here about cleaning oxidation; magic erasers, metal polish, oxy-clean. I don't recommend using bleach but there are those who do.
I think you got a lot of great suggestions in your last post. I'd refer to that.

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
+1 bigvan
Do a search here on stem cleaning and polishing.
Check this thread out for gourd cleaning especially the comments by fred.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cleaning-a-calabash#post-160533

The bowl may be made from meerschaum scraps and will come apart if soaked with alcohol.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thats a nice one, and it has a makers mark on it! I have no idea who made mine, though I suspect it is a Pioneer.

Wonderful smoking pipes. Enjoy!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
For the stem, do this: http://pipesmagazine.com/matchstickman/pipe-smoking/from-stem-to-stern-pipe-stem-restoration-with-no-buffing-wheel-or-power-tools/

Does it work ? I just posted sm before and after here: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/micro-mesh-rules
I don't have a calabash, so can't help you there.
Good luck

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Beautiful! Congrats. I'm gonna have to get one of those one day...every pipe collection's gotta have at least one calabash.

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
I think the oxidation on the stem turned out to be pretty bad... even rubbing with isopropyl-soaked paper towels doesn't do it... Fortunately, inside of the stem doesn't have any significant build-up of those nasty stuff... I guess I gotta try that Oxyclean method...

mushjoon

Might Stick Around
Nov 26, 2011
Darn it.. I just realized that I don't have any Oxiclean... but I don't wanna buy a whole jar of Oxiclean just to handle a stem. Are there any similar product that will do the work? I have Ajax and Clorox in my shelf. Would those work?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Oxidation is really not a big deal. Get some really fine steel wool and that wil take it down then follow up with obsidion. Oxidation happens. And looking at the pics its not too bad. It may just need that stuff under your right arm, Elbo Grease. Good luck and check out your last post there was a lot of great info.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
For one of mine I didn't have anything but iso and a couple of srubbers [scotch bright scouring pad and steel wool 0000 grade].It came out pretty good.It did have some lines but a decent shine and it got all the oxidation off in about 2 hours of alternating scrubbers and plenty of iso

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Good buy, my calabash is easily my best smoking pipe. It is fantastic, I hope you enjoy yours

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
A few days ago, I noticed that the entire stem on my Pioneer calabash was a light brown. I did a quick job cleaning it with auto rubbing compound and polishing compound, followed by Novus number 3 and 2 scratch remover. I finished with Obsidian. Not the glasslike shine of an Oxyclean/ micromesh treatment, but it did come out very good. The oxidation is completely gone and my stem looked much worse than yours. That's a nice looking calabash. Enjoy!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good move with the Novus. Some 3000 grit wet paper from Autozone would probably bring up the shine, that stuff is as close to micromesh as I've seen. Or send me the stem and I'll do it for you (just ask for a few bucks to ship it back).

Status
Not open for further replies.