Tags:   

So I Bought a Cheap "Star" Lighter

(67 posts)
  • Started 5 months ago by joecobb
  • Latest reply from ophiuchus
  1. joecobb

joecobb

Login to Send PM

So when I was buying Zippo lighter fluid a month ago I picked up a Star "Zippo-style" lighter as it was only 8 bucks.

I own five real Zippos and I can´t really say that I´m too happy with them. My pipe Zippo had to be sent in after about a month due to a bad hinge (would not close properly), and two of my display Zippos have lids that are on a little crooked. The two that I used regularly often had trouble lighting, even with new flint/wick/fluid (also after having been broken in). Flame would either die down or jump/pulsate every time. I missed my Bic.
    Payed between 34 and 40 dollars for each of them.

But this chinese made Star lighter is made really well! The cam is strong, so the lid sits on tight, the insert does not ride up like on Zippos, and the fuel seems to last longer, possibly because there is less evaporation up the sides of the insert. No pulsing flame.

And for those who care - this lighter makes a proper "clink"! My Zippos sound like plastic compared to this one.

The insert is not as pretty as on a Zippo, and the holes are 3-1-3 rather than Zippos 3-2-3, but I don´t really care. I removed the left side of the chimney to make it more like the pipe lighter, and after that modification it´s really not pretty, but I have to say that it works like a charm, even better than the designated Zippo pipe insert. It´s also nice to have the right side of the chimney as a roof for the flame when its tilted on its side.

The real deal might be cool and all, but mine will be sitting in the glass cabinet, and I´ll get a few more Star lighters for actual use. Doesn´t matter to me where it´s made.

Posted 5 months ago #
  2. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey, if it works for you, it works & go with that. I bought one of cheapo-beepo Chinese "Honest" lighters, & it worked for maybe a day. I like my Vector but it occasionally needs a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th click to get it going, especially if I've just used it. I still like it, though. I've got a Zippo coming, with a Thunderbird insert that I'll replace the kerosene one with. It may need filling more often, but I like the reliability & especially not having to taste charcoal starter every time I light up.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  3. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Waiting for my fakie to come in the mail from China. Should be here in the next 6 months or so...

Posted 5 months ago #
  4. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah , fol', when mine came I was surprised, since it'd been so long I'd forgotten I'd ordered it. Srsly.

Posted 5 months ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a number of zippo's, older and not-so-old, that work well. I also like my Bic's but with what is going on with China, I will actively avoid buying from them in the future. Matches give me the best control.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 5 months ago #
  6. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

Photo, or link to the model?

Posted 5 months ago #
  7. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How long is "Star's" warranty? Seems like a lot of modifying to make the lighter comfortable to use.

Not for me. I've got Zippos going on fifty years of age. If they need a repair, still free. And, they were correct in all respects right out of the box, ready to light pipes, cigars, etc. I even do the "squeeze" strike, now and then, popping the lid up and rolling the wheel in one move. That is really hard on a Zippo hinge but, the repairs are free. It was a move calculated, many ... many years ago, to impress the ladies. It really only worked well when everyone was suitably lubricated with adult beverages.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  8. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As much as I like the feel and 'solidity' of my Zippo, it just looses way to much fuel for me. I've been saying that I will get a thunderbird insert forever...

Posted 5 months ago #
  9. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 20+ Zippo lighters. 2 that I use all the time. The only issue I have had is the hinge on one was crooked. It was my fault, I stepped on it and bent it. I sent it in, the fixed and sent it back. I asked them for the pipe insert, they put that in, and sent back the old insert with it and 2 extra flints. It all cost me $2.85 for postage.

All I can say is you either have really rough luck, or you are had on lighters. Also, if the flame flickers and pops up and down, you either are very low, or very full on fluid. I also have the best luck with genuine Zippo fluid, Rosonal works okay, but not as well.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  10. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

As much as I like the feel and 'solidity' of my Zippo, it just looses way to much fuel for me.

Put a little vaseline around the insert to make a better seal.

Posted 5 months ago #
  11. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I refill my Zippo every morning. It may be a waste of fuel, but a $10 can still lasts for months, so I don't care. Since I started using a Zippo none of my pipes have gotten charred rims. And it works in moderate winds. If it's too windy for a Zippo, it's also too windy for a pipe. I've never had an issue with them.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  12. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

First, I do not like the smell of that zippo fuel. second, I tried a lot of can butane lighters that were bic style, including vector, all broke. so I bought about 30 mossy oak cheap refillable lighters and that has worked for about 5 years. Within the 5 year span I had to throw 3 away. Not so bad. BEWARE OF ZIPPOS ! Never owned one and never will. My friend had a zippo in his pocket and did not know the lid was open.Having fluid all over the lighter and did not know, lit it and BOOM!! Blew off 3 fingers and metal shards flew and hit and protruded through my other friends neck, who was sitting in the front seat while garret was in the back seat with 3 less fingers.

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  13. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

They are hard to find (I think not made anymore or made in exceedingly small amounts), but Bil-Lit lighters are USA made Zippos on steroids.
    Usually 7-8oz, machined from a solid block of brass, and supposedly hold fuel much better than Zippos.
    Also carry old boy level prices.
    I don't know that I ever need one, but I'm sure if I ever held one I'd want it.
    I'll stick w my Pipemaster for the time being... I always found Zippos to be more of a PITA than they were worth.

Posted 5 months ago #
  14. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My friend had a zippo in his pocket and did not know the lid was open.

Smarter, more aware friends will keep that from happening. I can't imagine a Zippo actually exploding. The fuel simply isn't contained well enough for an shrapnel laced explosion. "Ash" will know better. I can see it flaring, had that happen with a sloppy filling and not waiting for evaporation as the instructions warn. Filling a lighter is like driving or shooting, do it sober for the best results.

Posted 5 months ago #
  15. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

On the road traveling for work this week. Just bought a cheap zippo and fuel for $11
    At Walmart. Then at the gas station next door, they had some Gibson lighters with the 2 inch extension. I bought 2 of those.
    I may fool with the Zippo when I get home. Until then, I’m really enjoying this Gibson.

It looks like one of those foot long bic grill lighters. But it’s only about 5 inches long and great for lighting pipes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  16. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm guessing Zippo is being forced by their insurance company to redesign after the millions of American dollars, no doubt, paid out to the two friend of "leafsmoker."

In reality, I see Zippo offered for sale in every drugstore still carrying lighters and a lot of kiosks in malls. Zippo just issued a "Super Bowl LIII Champions" lighter just days after the game.

Posted 5 months ago #
  17. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only concern I have with my Zippo is the fact that it can stay lit if you drop it. That would be annoying when driving or something like that. But it hasn't happened yet.

Posted 5 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only concern I have with my Zippo is the fact that it can stay lit if you drop it. That would be annoying when driving or something like that. But it hasn't happened yet.

The reason for this is so we can have dramatic explosion scenes in films and television.

Posted 5 months ago #
  19. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

did not know the lid was open.Having fluid all over the lighter and did not know, lit it and BOOM!!

I'm blown away (no pun, I swear). Why? I just have trouble visualizing someone having a fluid lighter, open in the pocket, with fluid all over it, & *NOT* being able to smell the totally unmistakable odor & greasy feel of charcoal starter.

Bill

Posted 5 months ago #
  20. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

There's really nothing wrong with these Zippo-style lighters - great for modding because they've cost you next to nothing. I have a thread going somewhere trying to ascertain what kind of metal these knock-offs are made of. I watched a guy strip the chrome from his Zippo because he wanted a brass one - turned out really nice. So I tried doing the same with a cheapo. Not quite as nice and definitely a different mix of metals used on the cheapos.

But, the fact is they work like a charm, and in your experience better than the real deal. There's no doubt you're paying for name with Zippo, just like any iconic consumable.

I like to distress my Zippo knock-offs. This is my attempt to mimic a WWII Black Crackle.

Posted 5 months ago #
  21. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

As for the lighter I use to light my pipe, these are perfect and cost about as much as a Bic. Just take the horrible plastic wrap off and cover it in leather - hey presto a very nice lighter to hold and as good as any pipe lighter you care to mention. Maybe good's the wrong word, but certainly just as efficient.

Posted 5 months ago #
  22. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you have ever had a fluid using lighter open and leaking in your pocket, you will notice it. Particularly in a hip pocket. The burning sensation of the fluid on the skin simply can't be ignored, it's cold and odoriferous.

I chose to disbelieve the tale of an explosion. A flareup? Sure, that can happen when the manufacturer's instructions are ignored. Always let the spillover evaporate before lighting. Should go without saying but, people need to be warned in writing to not use an electric hairdryer while bathing or, not to pull a plastic bag over their head. But, such is why we have those "Darwin Awards."

Posted 5 months ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've had an over-filled Zippo leak fluid in my pocket. I thought I had just an itch going on, but it was the burn from the lighter fluid. The discomfort lasted for days. Lesson learned.

Posted 5 months ago #
  24. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have never, in all my life, heard of a Zippo exploding, sending off shrapnel, and blowing off someone's fingers. I've used them all my life without any serious issues. But, I do like to play music, and my fingers are very important to me, so I'm throwing them all away right now in favor of a Chinese knock off of a Zippo. Seems like a safer decision

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 months ago #
  25. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My sarcasm detector is rattling wildly for some reason.

Posted 5 months ago #
  26. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have also felt the pain from zippo lighter fluid on my thigh. It's very unpleasant.
    I think this guy must have had a lighter AND a can of fluid in his waterproof raincoat pocket.
    Or more likely it was a defect BUTANE lighter that blew up in his pocket. Because that can actually happen, although it rarely does.

Posted 5 months ago #
  27. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How the hell would a Zippo explode and send shrapnel? Impossible.

Pictures or it did happen.

Posted 5 months ago #
  28. rdavid

Panhandler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m throwing the bullshit flag...

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 5 months ago #
  29. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If, in fact, an explosion did occur and there were injuries as described, something other than a lighter was involved. The lighter story is a coverup for something more serious/nefarious going on in the vehicle. And more obviously, adult supervision was obviously required and not in place.

Posted 5 months ago #
  30. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Possibly if the Zippo was filled with butane? Even so, an explosion in the tank would not likely be powerful enough to create shrapnel, or even breach the casing.

Leaf: ANY documentation- such as a lawsuit or medical reports?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 5 months ago #
  31. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

Or someone who didn't have any Zippo fuel, and decided to use a little gasoline in its place ? ? ?

Posted 5 months ago #
  32. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess leafsmoker isn't going to participate further. Too bad.

Posted 5 months ago #
  33. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My friend had a zippo in his pocket and did not know the lid was open.Having fluid all over the lighter and did not know, lit it and BOOM!! Blew off 3 fingers and metal shards flew and hit and protruded through my other friends neck, who was sitting in the front seat while garret was in the back seat with 3 less fingers.

I'm calling bullshit on that one. Sorry. That would be similar to trying to get kerosene to explode. Try filling a pan up with gasoline or even jet fuel and get it to explode. It will burn but not explode. Explosions with flammable materials tend to explode when there are vapors in an enclosed area. Propane and butane would be a different story but lighter fluid in your pocket?

Posted 5 months ago #
  34. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brightleaf: ANY documentation- such as a lawsuit or medical reports?

Posted 5 months ago #
  35. joecobb

joecobb

Login to Send PM

It was not a lot of modifying at all, took me less than 10 minutes. And I am far from hard on my lighters, I even carried it in a belt pouch.

I did mind the taste/smell of fluid when I was smoking cigarettes, but to be honest, with pipes I´ve only noticed it 5-6 times and it goes away in a few puffs.

As for a Zippo blowing up? Doubt it, unless it was a bomb to begin with.

This is the Star lighter. Even comes in a metal box.

https://www.teknikmagasinet.no/produkter/helse-fritid/outdoor-fritid/kniver-verktoy-lightere/lighter-star-matt-krom

Posted 5 months ago #
  36. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When there are acceptable alternatives, I'd buy nothing with "Made in China" on it. Strictly a personal preference and one not likely to change.

I'm only guessing here but, the "leafsmoker" may be taking a hiatus from posting until the "smoke" dies down. Little doe he know about the long memories of some of our members. But, I for one happily, even eagerly, await his return. Perhaps he is on a search for his "friend's" missing fingers.

Posted 5 months ago #
  37. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

This is the Star lighter. Even comes in a metal box.

Over here in the UK these knock-offs can be had everywhere - and I must say for much less that 8 bucks. They're not always Star lighters, but then I don't think Star have the monopoly on Zippo knock-offs. I once bought a cardboard tray-full of Zippo-style lighters from a market trader for £10 ($13.00) - he must have had a bad day and wanted to end on a sale. The tray held 12 of these lighters and none of them had any kind of maker's stamp on the bottom.

There's no way I'd be paying 8 buck for a knock-off Zippo. Not when you can get the real thing from Walmart for only $2 more.

All these have been customised/distressed since buying them. They came with various sticker designs which I soaked off.

Posted 5 months ago #
  38. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

only noticed it 5-6 times and it goes away in a few puffs.

If one doesn't mind it I'm sure it's ok. Me, I like a smoke that doesn't make me chew through packaging to get to where it's good. Just me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  39. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, you & Warren are jes' a mess. -evyl grin-

I honestly do hope leafsmoker didn't split on any of my account. Seems an interesting guy & I'd like to see more of him.

In a related vein (jugular, femoral, take your pic) my new Zippo & presumably Thunderbird insert came today. Don't know both for sure since I haven't unpacked the box yet. I'm hoping, though, since I was looking forward to taking them with me on Saturday. If just the Zip, though, I won't. Even in checked bags I wouldn't even *think* of packing fluid-fluid on a plane. Outside of just not liking the stuff generally, I want to make sure I actually have clothes to wear when I open the suitcase.

B

Posted 5 months ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonder where China got that design?
    Lighter fluid burn in the pocket? Not as bad as gas splashed on the front of your pants.
    Do either one once & most learn how to do it right the next time.
    Nothing can compete with a Zippo.
    But I am happy you are happy with your new lighter and hope it serves you well.

Posted 5 months ago #
  41. timt

timt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've grown quite fond of my Zippo too. In fact, I'm throwing another onto my next TAD order. High polished brass this time. - Mr. Fancypants

Tim
    Posted 5 months ago #
  42. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only time I've ever seen Zippo fluid explode was this one time at a party. I had been eating nachos, and beans, and enchiladas and tacos and such, and then drinking lots of beer and rum and vodka and tequila (could be the same party that became the time I hated tequila forever after). Standing up on a kitchen chair and mooning the entire crowd before letting out fart that could be heard in Vegas ( I hear Celine Dion's performance stopped for a moment as she wondered what the sound she heard was... I'm in Texas by the way) lighting my Zippo in dangerously close proximity to my buttox sent out a fire ball that was seen from the International Space Station and took the hair and eyebrows of three of my closes friends... who were of course standing too close to my butt bomb... serves them right.

Posted 5 months ago #
  43. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I see no reason to buy a Chinese knock off Zippo, when the real thing can be had a Walmart, brushed sliver finish, for $9.95. Or if you want a premium polished brass, they are $20.

As far as exploding, and sending out shrapnel, BS. In order for that to happen, the lighter would need a pressure chamber like a Bic or those refillable butane lighters.

Can you overfill a Zippo and get a big, 2"-3", ball of fire when you ignite it? Yes, but you quickly learn not to overfill a Zippo.

Posted 5 months ago #
  44. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Okay back to the lighter explosion. It was a long time ago in the 80's and we were in grade school, so he was not that aware I guess at that age. I was not there. but the 2 friends had their battle scars. Garretts index,middle and ring finger were gone when I saw him after it happened. All he had left was his thumb and pinky. Crazy story I know but, maybe they were built different then, for whatever reason...I wouldn't make it up....no time for made up stories here. I do not know why he did not smell or notice the fluid, but everyone makes mistakes. I highly doubt they sued anyone. I just couldn't believe the story and well the hand with the missing fingers proved it too me.

Posted 5 months ago #
  45. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

I simply do not believe it was a Zippo exploded and caused such severe injury. Even recently Zippo lighters are the only lighters allowed to be carried into gas processing plants and oil & gas construction locations. Zippos don’t just explode. BIC lighters, on the other hand, are now allowed. Too many instances of the lever being depressed inside a pocket and the gas being ignited by sparks from welding or grinding operations.

Posted 5 months ago #
  46. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Possibly if the Zippo was filled with butane? Even so, an explosion in the tank would not likely be powerful enough to create shrapnel, or even breach the casing

Now there's an idea....not sure what that guy used, possibly a mixture of urine and gasoline for all I know. I just could not believe a zippo when he told me, but i guess if you walk up to a friend with three less fingers, you would not make up a different story to your friend about your missing fingers. Still unbelieable to me.--- maybe since our scientific water abusing pipe thread is about done we can do a science experiment for this. my thoughts.lets fill that zippo with regular fluid dowse it allover the lighter, and make a fuel trail like Mc gyver and light it and see what happens..any takers...I might have to take one for the team. But now what do I do, forget the chinese and american lighters that are presently made..... I guess I have to seek out a estate Zippo lighter. Anyone own a official 80's zippo? Maybe I can find one on fleabay.

Posted 5 months ago #
  47. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the followup. So, grade school kids did something or other they shouldn't have and lost digits, and you didn't witness it. They tried to blame a Zippo, and if that had held water, surely the parents would have sued and likely gotten a large check. That on top of the improbability of a Zippo blowing up:

So, I call BS on those boys' story.

Posted 5 months ago #
  48. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay, now the story makes sense. Or better said, it explains why the story makes zero sense. Chances are your friends did something really, really stupid that involved a zippo lighter but it wasn't the lighter that exploded. Perhaps it was a stick of dynamite, multiple M80 firecrackers tape together or something like that they lit with a Zippo lighter. But a Zippo lighter did not explode and blow off 3 fingers unless they somehow stuffed a stick of dynamite inside the case.

Posted 5 months ago #
  49. jazz

jazz

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What a load of old cobblers. A zippo never caused that. Not unless he stuffed it full of gunpowder or something like it.

Something else happened. Whether he told you or not.

Posted 5 months ago #
  50. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have heard stories from 3 different friends who served in Vietnam involving their Zippo lighters. One got shot but the round hit the Zippo in his pocket. He just had a bad bruise. The other two told stores about shrapnel hitting their lighters. In all the cases, the Zippo's were more damaged than they were, but they didn't blow up.

I readily admit that these were stories they told and I didn't serve in country but I have no reason to doubt their stories either.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 5 months ago #
  51. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

somehow stuffed a stick of dynamite inside the case.

You do worry me some days, hpg. Just the thought of somebody dreaming up a way to do that makes me want to up my life insurance coverage!

Bill

Posted 5 months ago #
  52. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

one time at a party. I had been eating nachos, and beans, and

Anthony, I want you to know that, knowing you, the backing away from my computer screen started right where I stopped the quote there.

Posted 5 months ago #
  53. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

I recall reading once or more sources that declared that a single gallon of gasoline when volatilized in the air and set off will have the blast power of a 3-stick dynamite bundle.

Posted 5 months ago #
  54. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now I am really wondering how the lad blew away a few fingers. A handful of cherry bombs or M-80's? Dynamite? (both have been mentioned, but what else?) Heating a CO 2 cartridge (with a Zippo!) until it exploded?

Other ideas? I somehow survived early teens with all digits and limbs intact.

Posted 5 months ago #
  55. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recall reading once or more sources that declared that a single gallon of gasoline when volatilized in the air and set off will have the blast power of a 3-stick dynamite bundle.

Yes, but pretty sure it has to be just the right air/vapor mix, and that usually means in an enclosed area. Same with NG, butane and propane.

Ashdigger?

Posted 5 months ago #
  56. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^^ I can believe that, ananta. I'm certain Ash can confirm that when spilled gas goes up, it's not the liquid but the atomized vapor that's the real killer. JP-5, -8, etc., for example, are all used in aircraft carriers primarily *because* of the required high flash point due to bookoo aircraft in close proximity, munitions, etc. Avgas? Fuhgeddaboudit; that stuff (leaded in particular) is hell on wheels, literally.

Posted 5 months ago #
  57. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pretty sure it has to be just the right air/vapor mix

Yeah, it's funny how specific the air:fuel mix has to be. I agree Ash is the go-to guy on this one.

B

Posted 5 months ago #
  58. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

you would not make up a different story to your friend about your missing fingers.

Sure you would if you were suitably embarrassed by your stupidity or, were engaged in something illegal. Believe it or not ... kids lie to each other all the time.

Posted 5 months ago #
  59. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am gob-smacked!! Kids lying? Never!!

My bet is it was both illegal and stupid.

Posted 5 months ago #
  60. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

The kid should just thank his lucky “stars” that it didn’t ‘splode in his front pocket.

Posted 5 months ago #
  61. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony, I want you to know that, knowing you, the backing away from my computer screen started right where I stopped the quote there.
    Ah, my job here is done

Posted 5 months ago #
  62. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

Reminds me that as a kid, a friend's older brother burned himself pretty bad trying to refill a Bic.

Another time, as a teen, I split my thumb open once when not tossing an m-80 quite quick enough...needed stitches. Walking around with a big bandage around your thumb on July 5th, as you could imagine, draws a lot of knowing smirks, and comments lol.

Exploding Zippo, though? The only thing I can think of is maybe he filled it with gasoline?

Posted 5 months ago #
  63. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sounds right. However, there probably isn't more than 1/4 oz of lighter fluid in a Zippo at any given time. And it isn't "volatilized" in the least. In fact, completely at the other end of the spectrum. Take a bowl, fill it with gasoline in an open area (where there is some air movement) and throw a match in it. About as good a chance it will put the match out as there is it will light. Do it with kerosene or lighter fluid and it almost certainly will extinguish the match.

Posted 5 months ago #
  64. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now there's an idea....not sure what that guy used, possibly a mixture of urine and gasoline for all I know. I just could not believe a zippo when he told me, but i guess if you walk up to a friend with three less fingers, you would not make up a different story to your friend about your missing fingers. Still unbelieable to me.--- maybe since our scientific water abusing pipe thread is about done we can do a science experiment for this. my thoughts.lets fill that zippo with regular fluid dowse it allover the lighter, and make a fuel trail like Mc gyver and light it and see what happens..any takers...I might have to take one for the team. But now what do I do, forget the chinese and american lighters that are presently made..... I guess I have to seek out a estate Zippo lighter. Anyone own a official 80's zippo? Maybe I can find one on fleabay.

I don't know what an offical 80's zippo is but I have several from the 80's & older.
    Using one now.
    If you buy a new one you love, you will lose it before you have a problem with it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  65. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

We could fill a pipe with lighter fluid, make a gasoline trail to it for a fuse, and light it... to scientifically gather data on burnouts in pipes.

Posted 5 months ago #
  66. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'd be more than happy to hold the Zippo doused with lighter fluid in my hand while you light it.

Posted 5 months ago #
  67. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow. Whoever made up that story about the exploding Zippo must have been drunk ... or something.

Posted 5 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   nunnster, lightxmyfire, ben88, pipestud, troyniss, sasquatch, ashdigger, hugodrax, pappymac, nhhiggy, lukasstrifeson, bullet08