PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Reminds me that as a kid, a friend's older brother burned himself pretty bad trying to refill a Bic.
Another time, as a teen, I split my thumb open once when not tossing an m-80 quite quick enough...needed stitches. Walking around with a big bandage around your thumb on July 5th, as you could imagine, draws a lot of knowing smirks, and comments lol.
Exploding Zippo, though? The only thing I can think of is maybe he filled it with gasoline?

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I recall reading once or more sources that declared that a single gallon of gasoline when volatilized in the air and set off will have the blast power of a 3-stick dynamite bundle.
That sounds right. However, there probably isn't more than 1/4 oz of lighter fluid in a Zippo at any given time. And it isn't "volatilized" in the least. In fact, completely at the other end of the spectrum. Take a bowl, fill it with gasoline in an open area (where there is some air movement) and throw a match in it. About as good a chance it will put the match out as there is it will light. Do it with kerosene or lighter fluid and it almost certainly will extinguish the match.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Now there's an idea....not sure what that guy used, possibly a mixture of urine and gasoline for all I know. I just could not believe a zippo when he told me, but i guess if you walk up to a friend with three less fingers, you would not make up a different story to your friend about your missing fingers. Still unbelieable to me.--- maybe since our scientific water abusing pipe thread is about done we can do a science experiment for this. my thoughts.lets fill that zippo with regular fluid dowse it allover the lighter, and make a fuel trail like Mc gyver and light it and see what happens..any takers...I might have to take one for the team. But now what do I do, forget the chinese and american lighters that are presently made..... I guess I have to seek out a estate Zippo lighter. Anyone own a official 80's zippo? Maybe I can find one on fleabay.
I don't know what an offical 80's zippo is but I have several from the 80's & older.

Using one now.

If you buy a new one you love, you will lose it before you have a problem with it.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
We could fill a pipe with lighter fluid, make a gasoline trail to it for a fuse, and light it... to scientifically gather data on burnouts in pipes.

Reactions: anotherbob

rockynrobyn

Lurker
Jun 26, 2018
First, I do not like the smell of that zippo fuel. second, I tried a lot of can butane lighters that were bic style, including vector, all broke. so I bought about 30 mossy oak cheap refillable lighters and that has worked for about 5 years. Within the 5 year span I had to throw 3 away. Not so bad. BEWARE OF ZIPPOS ! Never owned one and never will. My friend had a zippo in his pocket and did not know the lid was open.Having fluid all over the lighter and did not know, lit it and BOOM!! Blew off 3 fingers and metal shards flew and hit and protruded through my other friends neck, who was sitting in the front seat while garret was in the back seat with 3 less fingers. 8O
Oh you are so full of shite

Reactions: oldtoby

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have used my brass armor Zippo since I bought it new in 2012. It's used 90% of the time. I had to send it in after about 5 years for a Hinge fix, and at that time had them put a pipe insert in it as well. I have 5 Zippos, but only use the one. I have a backup pipe Zippo, for when I have to send this one in again, if ever. (The hinge is starting to get loose on me, but it's a daily user). It's also covered in almost as much lava overflow as my pipe rims. I should probably clean it.

Time to see if we can use the Bat (Ash) signal
@ashdigger
@ashdigger
@ashdigger

You have some stuffs to talk about here Mr.

Reactions: bnichols23

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hey gang. Zippos, cannot, I repeat, cannot, and once more for emphasis cannot explode. Everything about them makes them safe. They work on evaporation/vaporization and a mechanical spark.

In order for an explosion of a "liquid" fuel to occur it has to pressurize. Nothing about a Zippo allows for pressurization.

Full Stop.

A bic or other such butane can, but they are under pressure.

As for the mythical size of the mythical explosion.......bullshit.

Magnitudes of explosive "size" is directly related to sequence of ignition, sequence of fuel conversion and amount of containment.

ZIPPOS CANNOT EXPLODE.

back to your regularly scheduled programming.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I'm blown away (no pun, I swear). Why? I just have trouble visualizing someone having a fluid lighter, open in the pocket, with fluid all over it, & NOT being able to smell the totally unmistakable odor & greasy feel of charcoal starter. 8O
Bill
Not only would it stink, it would also irritate the skin where it had leaked. I know from experience... unfortunately.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I still have a scar on my temple from trying to impress someone with the "back and forth" Zippo move.

Knock the lid open on the downstroke and roll the wheel coming back up to light. I'd seen people do it on their thighs and figured the ole bean would be doubly impressive.

Reactions: bnichols23

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My Zippo pipe lighter tends to be finicky at times. If the mood isn't right it can take multiple times to light. Plus it's really filthy. I've gotten better at keeping it maintained and it lights much better.

But the reason for my comment is that I watched my drunk father in law try to impress some of our friends with that Zippo trick on his leg, he tried ten times and just looked like a cool. Little did he know, my lighter was being picky that day. Hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.