PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Prompted by the "how many lights" thread, I want to pose a question to the group. Often we see "smoked to the bottom to a fine white ash" in 98.7% of TR reviews. I'll address the elephant in the room here and say with confidence this is rarely the case for me. Does it happen, yes, sometimes, but more often than not, I dump the last 1/4th to 1/3rd into the ashtray.
At quick glance this seems wasteful. That's good leaf I'm tossing out, am I made of money (I'm most certainly not). I justify this practice by quoting some solid advice regarding cigars. Whether you're smoking a $3 yard cigar or an Opus X, when the smoke stops being enjoyable, why put yourself through the process of finishing it? Many tobaccos evolve and hit a sublime level of flavor as they progress deeper in to the bowl, those are moments to be cherished but do not happen every time.
Am I alone in dumping un-burnt leaf, frivolously pissing away hard earned cash and sacred crop. Does the majority suffer through bitterness and tar for the satisfaction of completing the bowl? Let's hear it from all you Daddy Warbucks and Leather-Toungued misers.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I don't suffer. When it gets bitter or nasty, it gets dumped. Some bowls go great all the way, some don't.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Way too many variables for me to make a definitive statement on that. The tobacco style or cut and moisture all play a part in how far down I go. Aromatics with lots of extra casings or flavors added seem to go nasty earlier for me than say a straight Virginia or Burley. Those I tend to smoke down nearly to the bottom but I always end up dumping a little dottle.
At the end of the day I don't worry about a little unburnt leaf going to waste. Or maybe a small sacrificial offering up to the tobacco Gods.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When it happens -- the white ash at the bottom of the bowl -- it's great. But dottle is not only okay, but good. The real bottom of the bowl is when the relights produce only a short smoke and most of all when the quality of the flavor diminishes. This is a pleasure, not a white ash contest. When the good/excellent flavor ends, dump out that bowl and start again.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I personally don't worry about it and accept that this particular bowl on any given day is done. The pipe and tobacco has provided what I sought, and I have no real reason to ask further effort.
Personal theory:

The longer a pipe smokes, the more moisture/condensation permeates the lower bowl.

The longer a pipe smokes, the more impact heat becomes on the smoker and remaining leaf.

More casing, whatever is transmitted through the process.

There's a sweet spot of bowl perfection dependent on the pipe/tobacco/humidity combination.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I think MSO summed it up quite nicely and that is pretty much how it goes for me as well. :puffy:

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Thank you to all that have confirmed what I knew to be true. I wasn't looking for validation of my habits so much as pointing out the silly overuse of "smoked to the bottom". I suppose I should state that I don't dismiss that statement as untrue in every case, just that it comes up so often I fear newer smokers hold themselves to unreal expectations on how to do it "right".
As Captain>JK>MSO agree, this is about enjoyment.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
it is not that often that I smoke "to the bottom of the bowl" it depends because some tobaccos are so good that I don't even notice that its gone.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
There have been bowls that I SHOULD have dumped instead of relight that turned a wonderful smoke into a bad memory. I guess I was getting too greedy. I think the weather plays a role too. If you smoke outside like I do, I have noticed the humidity can effect how much dottle is left.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
I wanted to post a similar thread this morning, but couldn't quite get my phrasing in order, so I'll append my question here.
WHY does a lot of tobacco get kind of nasty toward the bottom? I'm assuming it's excess moisture, but does anybody actually know? Why do some tobaccos (very rarely in my case) burn all the way down and continue to taste good?
And, no, I'm not trying to save a nickle worth of tobacco, I'm just curious.

jakegoodman

Lurker
Jan 13, 2016
Charlotte
Happens to me all the time. I just don’t care for one way or another. Pipe tobacco is cheap compared to cigars, so there is no financial gain for smoking it to the bottom. I just enjoy the ride.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I smoke the Dottie, it's packed with flavor. If I've had a case where it's nasty I throw it out.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Rob, I'm guessing the more moisture in the leaf, the more residue/tar buildup. Some blends will increase in strength and depth while others just get an ashy taste. All speculation on my part obviously but it sounds plausible. This also explains why I enjoy my cigars at 65% Rh as opposed to 70+, cleaner taste as the smoke progresses.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I almost always dump the last bit on the bottom of the bowl out. I don't think I have ever smoked it all the way to the bottom but then again, I am new to the pipe smoking scene.
Cheers,

Jared

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When one writes "moisture" one should realize what the moisture is. It's the residues of the tobacco which, when pooled at the bottom of the bowl can most definitely affects the taste. Sometime when you have finished a bowl, dump the dottle and then run your finger tip through the wet. Now apply just a bit on your tongue. Everything that didn't get sucked into your mouth or waft up out of the bowl has settled into the bottom of the bowl, condensed into a wee puddle. Now you have an understanding of what is going on in the bowl as you smoke. Tasty? Probably not. That residue is why we use cleaners and let the pipe air out otherwise the pipe will take on a reek that even I am not fond of.
A nice, dry ash in the bottom is good. But, a lot of people do not get that result very often. If a bowl you are enjoying suddenly goes south, dump, wipe and reload. Try again. Or set that pipe aside and load another. There really are no style points when smoking a pipe. Just enjoy what you can and learn as you go.

demetrakopoulos

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I smoke aromatics primarily so the bottom of the bowl often times turns into a goopy mess. I've always thought it was wasteful to dump out any unsmoked tobacco, but when I have to relight every couple of seconds, the experience is no longer enjoyable.
Most of you are right. There's no point in trying to conserve the last bit of tobacco in the pipe; especially when it takes me several months to go through a tin.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
It depends on the blend - some are great to the bitter end, others are not. If you want to emulate Mr. Holmes, save the dottle, let it dry, and smoke it up!

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I very rarely manage to smoke down to white ash, and it happens only with my cheapest briar :mrgreen:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's another of those nice myths. First of all, not all blends reduce to white ash. Secondly, if you're so set to smoke every last shred, you're superheating the interior of the chamber in the process. Enjoy the cracks that form down the road, and stick to cheap pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.