PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. In my experience it has more to do with how I packed it than the tobacco itself.

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
I've only ever done this with one blend, which was like smoking corn syrup. I can proudly say that I've enjoyed every bowl of everything else, down to the dottle, with exception to a few bowls that I cursed with condensate.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
If the smoke becomes harsh, tastes of ash or just plain doesn't taste good anymore than I dump it. I don't ever worry about smoking to the bottom of the bowl. If it happens great but if not then I don't worry about it. Sometimes I think those individuals that review tobacco's and end with the "it smoked down to a fine white ash" are just blowing smoke. :mrgreen:

thebrokenone

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
If you live in a state in which you cannot buy 16 oz. of pipe tobacco for under $100, you learn to enjoy every bit of tobacco that you can afford.

Jan 8, 2013
I think the reason that 98.7% :) :) :) of the reviews state they smoked it down to ash is because they had that one super fine smoke that went to ash and they felt it was worthy of doing a review. We've all had those awesome smokes. I've had quite a few. In many cases it depends on the pipe and the tobacco. One pipe might smoke a blend all the way to ash with few if any relights. Another pipe with the same blend won't do as well. I try to remember what pipe and blend gave me that perfect smoke so that I can have it again, and while they might perform quite well together every time after that, it still doesn't mean it will a perfect down to nothing but ash every time. A one or two or even three light smoke is just as awesome in my opinion.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Sucking In a small bit of ash is how I know that it's time to reload. Don't get me wrong, no every time, just when I am using a pipe. :puffy:
:rofl: :rofl:
Just enjoy your pipe. Do what suits you best.

It depends on a lot of factors. Dry weather is a bit better than humid when it comes to pipe smoking. I have dumped more than last few bits left in a bowl and I have smoked blends down to the white ash. 90% of the time, I am left with a grey, black ash which needs to be dumped in the ash"mug" 8)
The thing with reviews is when I or someone else sits down to review we smoke the pipe like it should be smoked to get the maximum flavour and experience out of the smoke. That results in perfect smoke and those mythical bowls of white ash. Heck I even close my eyes and let the tobacco possess me so I can blab about it on my blog or review websites. :lol:
So in the end, dont worry about that 1% of the $10 tin, its not worth your brain cells. I've wasted way more money on sending inappropriate texts to women when drunk ;)
Cheeers,

Chris :puffpipe:

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I too have no problem dumping some unsmoked tobacco. Surprisingly, most of the times that I smoke to ash is when I am smoking a cob. I'm not sure why this is, but it does.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The last 1/3 of a bowl of pipe tobacco is a catch-basin for all the tars and crap from the upper 2/3. In other words, it's tantamount to a filter. I dump it. Idrc if it could taste ok to smoke, I have no desire to. I never smoked a cigar till the ashes dropped behind my lips either.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
Savinelli Pipes Instucton Video
This Savinelli Video specifically states not to smoke down to the bottom of the bowl because of the tar and bad taste (about 3 min into the video.)
I it made good sense so now I specifically try to stop before i reach the bottom of the bowl. It is hard to time where to stop though. Sometimes I end up dumping quite a lot of unburned tobacco.

Reactions: Gorm Kristian

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I could probably count with the fingers on one hand the number of bowls i've smoked down to the mythical "fine white ash", and only one of those was in a briar, the rest were in cobs.

Granted, I seem to remember I've only been able to smoke down to the heel with only one light, It's usually at least 4 relights or so for me, and I'm still trying to slow down. But when it gets to the point where I'm relighting every few seconds and I can feel the hot air in my tongue, I dump the bowl. The dottle is usually soaked through at this point. I've burnt my tongue WAY too many times trying to relight the dottle again and again to keep at it.

I'm sure fine white ash is possible and philosophically I love the idea (since it would also mean I've advanced significantly in my Pipe-fu), but I hardly think its an objective worth chasing in a of itself.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I only smoke flake tobacco and the bottom of the bowl is very tasty. My problem is chasing the last bits of flavor and sucking in a mouth full of hot ash. I wholeheartadly agree to stop smoking if the taste gets bitter. Maybe your tobacco is too wet or you are puffing too hard creating a wad of nasty tasting tobacco.
As far as a fine white ash, I see dark ash, a medium dark and white, I really don't care what the color is as long as the taste is there.

stanwellman

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2011
When sitting down to have a smoke, my objective is always to finish the contents of the bowl down to nothing but ash (regardless of color). All my pipes are smoked this way: always to the bottom. Do I always succeed? No, but it does not change the aim… .

When one takes a draw on the pipe, regardless of how much tobacco is in the chamber, the smoke always goes to the bottom of the pipe and then enters the draft hole. Hence, if the bottom of the pipe is not broken-in, it affects the flavour of the smoke.

Also, when dumping a wet dottle, even the most meticulous cleaning and drying may not be enough for a pipe with a “raw”, not cake covered briar – after a while the moisture will just build in the briar at the bottom of the pipe resulting in a possibly bitter taste.

Aside from the issue of “wasting tobacco”, if pipes were not meant to be smoked all the way to the bottom, would we all not be smoking something akin to the Falcon pipe type with a “screw-in” vertical chamber and no bottom?

I do understand that every smoker will have their own preference and favourite way of doing things, and it is my personal view only that not finishing the tobacco in each load is akin to giving the pipe a case of the “blue balls”.

jollyroger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2015
I smoke to the bottom of the bowl 99% of the time. Around 85% of the time it ends in fine white ash, and I believe that there are 2 factors that contribute to this.
First of all, I always smoke half bowls, and sometimes less. I rarely have the time to kick back and enjoying a full bowl, and usually smoke once a day on the rooftop at the office, and even then I don't have more than half an hour tops.
Secondly I will almost only smoke vapers. Predominantly Anniversary Kake, AJ's vaper, FVF (sometimes spiced with a little 1—Q), Eggnog, Solani Virginia.
Even if there's humidity nearing the end, I usually finish before it becomes an issue and then wipe it out.
I find that I prefer smoking a half bowl, taking a break and smoking another later in the day rather than loading a full bowl and setting it aside midway.
Of all the brands I listed, FVF represents the 1% of the time where white ash is not achieved I usually end up with black ash, higher in humidity. I that case I dump it out as stubbornness results in a bitter flavor and why ruin a good experience. That and after FVF I'm usually buzzing on the nicotine and prefer to get on with my day.
If I pack a full bowl and want to see gray ash, I start out going as slowly as humanly possible, and then gradually go slower =)

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I find that when I pack my pipe just the right way (for me that's the swirl method, not using too much tobacco, and keeping a small air pocket at the heel of the bowl), I can smoke down to the bottom. I also notice that I tamp quite a bit towards the end of my smokes; no relights, just constant packing. The flavor is strong, but still pleasant. However, as with all things, to each his own. What works one person may, or may not work for another.

sevenseas

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
sthbkr77,
Wet, bitter-tasting tobacco at the bottom of the bowl is a clear indication of your tobacco being too moist and/or being packed too tightly. I had these same problems for a long time until I finally figured it out. I now smoke every bowl down to a fine gray ash with no bitterness or burn.. this includes aromatics. The key is to properly dry your tobacco before smoking, and gravity fill it. Don't pack it. Let me repeat that again- only gravity fill it. The tobacco needs enough air flow to burn properly. And when tamping ash, only use the weight of the tamper. It really is as simple as this. It stays lit better, no more tongue burns, cool and flavorful smoke, bowl dry at the bottom after smoking, and no more wasted tobacco. Please try it and see. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.