Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Smoking Inside the House

(52 posts)
  1. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gentlemen, do you have a way to smoke indoors without smelling up the place?
    I find winter is too long for me to go without the pipe and summer is very short in Quebec(((

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sablebrush pointed out that secondhand smoke is a danger not only to others but also to the smoker. I spent the last 16 months smoking in a bathroom and I'm quit 75 days.

There is no getting rid of the smell other than, I think, an effective exhaust.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Lampe Berger.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish! Sadly, it's not easy and the smell can never be fully cleared. This is coming from someone who was previously married to a real estate agent. I know that smoking in a house decreases the resale value by a significant amount. One option is the garage with a heater. Or, if you the fortune of a backyard, then a Man-Shed with a heater is wonderful. One of my smoking buddies built a wonderful one room shed and pimped it out with air conditioning and a heater and electricity. It is sweet!

Last winter I actually bought an ice fishing tent/house at Bass Pro. I put it out on my deck with a space heater and it worked great! I was able to enjoy my pipe without the wind (oh the darn wind is the big problem for a pipe smoker).

Neal
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. upnorth1

upnorth1

Login to Send PM

One word, well two words, the garage.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Air purifier?

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. nitemair13

nitemair13

Login to Send PM

I've seen air purifiers advertised online for smoking cigars inside, I guess they would work well for pipes too but I've never tried them. They are rather expensive from what I've seen too.

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve tried ALL purifiers! Spent mucho $ trying. They don’t work. The one thing that does work is what Brian Levine discusses in the radio show 2 or 3 weeks ago, that is a massive high speed ventilation fan. When I buy a new house I am going to install one and finally have a smoking den.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I walk into The Briary, or a smoking lounge, I always love the intoxicating aromas. Embrace the aroma.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A few bowls spread out over time is fine. Long term though will stink up the place. Remember that when you have to sell your house it will most likely be to a non pipe smoker

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Indeed, cosmic!

In a semi-related vein -- Things I've learned about smoking in a bag chair outside: Never put a Czech tool open into a mesh cup holder....

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

opus777

Login to Send PM

not that I've found Ben.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looks like a tent + heater on the patio is my only choice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm restricting myself to one room- where the TVs are mostly, and the smallest bedroom. So, my heirs may take a small hit when they disclose that "an old curmudgeon enjoyed a few bowls in that room, which we've fumigated and had blessed and hallowed by three priests."

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'll get used to the reek of stale smoke in the drapes, paint, carpet, etc. It's nothing different than particles which adhere to your hair, skin and clothes. You can spend a bunch of moneys for fans, etc. but, the house will still reek. The smell is just part and parcel of smoking, not the cleanest of the many wee vices we enjoy.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Warren, I swear, I do wish you wouldn't sugar-coat things all the time. }:)

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I forget his name now, but a member here recently re-use his home office complete with pipes and a little bar. He had a nice little fan setup too. Anyone remember this?

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only smoke in the den with a box fan in the window always on throughout the day. Clears smoke out pretty well. Now, my wife smoking cigarettes in the living room without such is another story, though at least there is no carpeting to contend with where we do our smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

jonas

Login to Send PM

I’ll smoke one bowl during lunch sometimes. Just open a window and turn on the a/c, the smell is always gone by the time the wife gets home.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know. It's a fault.

Folks complaining about the smell of stale smoke are some of the same people who love a well manicured yard, but hate the noise of the mower, love fishing but refuse to clean them, watch NASCAR with the sound off because, "It's too loud!", enjoys a good riot but detests the gas or getting shot, spends big bucks for front row seating and then complains because the boxers' sweat got all over him.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Worst smoke Nazi I ever ran into was years ago when I was attending a workshop. I'd smoked my pipe in the car on lunch break and returned. A woman sitting in front of me turned and complained to me that I smelled of smoke. I suggested she move then.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my home, if I try a new blend and my wife finds the smell awful....I don’t smoke that blend. Fortunately she enjoys the smell of pipe smoke and has only vetoed maybe 5 or 6 blends in our 20 years together. She actually enjoys the smell of Latakia!

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"It's a fault." -- As an old buddy used to say, "I'm constitutionally incapable of it. Truth doesn't always sit well with people.

Philo, oddly enough, so does mine. Odd ducks we are.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. 3rdguy

3rdguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

25. mnewb1

mnewb1

Login to Send PM

I am lucky, I have a heated shop in which I mostly smoke...having recently acquired this house and that shop is what motivated my reintroduction to pipes...now, in the summer, I also have a screened-in back porch where I can smoke in peace and be free from mosquitoes.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have two options. Outside, which won't work in the winter or the enclosed back porch (16'x8'). I'm currently updating the back porch to make it a bit more comfortable and pleasing. I still have to do the floor and install a baseboard heater. The door with the black handle is fake...added it for some character. I'm going to decorate the porch with some pipe and tobacco signs and pictures. Still need a chair and a small table.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good plans, lots of potential. Send us a save-the-date when you're done!

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Okay...will do.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. ignaciojn

ignaciojn

Login to Send PM

I just love the room note of countless bowls.
    This comment does not help at all, but there you go.

Ignacio
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

My wife actually buys me pipes and tibacco.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Thanks for linking my mancave 3rdguy.

Ben, when I was having an addition built onto my house, 11 or so years ago, I had it built with a home office in the attic space above the new media room and master bedroom addition.

I had the builder put in an exhaust fan setup. It's a panasonic whisper quiet 440 cfm fan that is mounted in the attic and has 3 hvac vents, located in the ceiling, connected to it.

It works great! I have poker games up here once a month or so and it does a good job of exhausting the smoke from 8 or 9 guys smoking cigars.

On a regular basis, like right now, I sit up here, have a pipe, a glass of scotch, and peruse the pipe forums on the laptop.

The exhaust fan, associated ducting and vents and labor came in at less than $800 - $1,000 installed.

Full disclosure here, when I do have the room full of cigar smokers, I do crack a couple of windows open to assist with airflow, allowing the fan to pull more smoke out quickly.

Dino

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+ 1 for Cosmic , and Yet back in the days everyone smoked indoors and no did complain about that.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

I smoke everywhere in the house but not in the garage.

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Well, my alias is 'wind-chaser'. There are 2 rooms that I usually smoke in our apartment depending on the direction of the wind. If it is a north-east wind I am in the kitchen sitting nearby the window, if south-west wind then I am in the other room. Air current works miracles, it instantly carries the smoke away. Taking its advantage I can even smoke a cigar in the kitchen while watching my favorite TV series. Unfortunately, this activity can be done only in a good weather condition. Another reason to hate winters.

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  35. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do employ an air purifier. I replace the HEPA filters about every 2-3 mos. and the pre- filters are maintained as well.
    I don't think it is completely effective but I do feel that it helps some. I have it set up right in front of my a/c intake vent.
    My place smells like tobacco anyway, but, I try to keep the air as clean as I can. Since I've been using the purifier, there has been a noticeable improvement.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes! That's the thread I was thinking about!

Seems like you have two options for indoor pipe smoking

1) get used to the smell
    2) exhaust fans

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigpond

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anyone catch the report that failed to find a link between 2nd hand smoke and cancer?

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/105/24/1844/2517805

I smoke outside, sometimes wearing ski gear.

I like npod’s tent idea, but I like to see the snow fall and hear the owls hoot.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

frozenchurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The only strategy I can think of that might work is if you install an actual wood burning fireplace and then only smoke Latakia. Chances are only a few people would be able to tell you weren’t just covered in regular soot, which is one of the best things about Latakia.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I run the HVAC fan a lot and replace the filters about every month. Additionally, I run an air purifier after smoking. It's nothing fancy. Something called Zen Air that has an ozone and ionizer setting. I don't always run the ozone, but turn it on low right after smoking. Also, my house has mainly hardwood floors and wood and leather furniture in it. If you have carpeted floors and/or fabric covered furniture your house will smell more and the stale smell of smoke will linger. Fans, air purifiers, wood, and leather are the way to go to keeping a home smelling fresh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here are a couple of DIY vids from guys who have hooked up exhaust fans or built rooms.

Smoking exhaust fan

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I turned the third bay of a 3 car garage into a smoking room. Walled it off with insulation, installed a gas heater and AC unit, a 55" flat screen and comfortable chairs including a recliner for me. Yesterday, I made a trip to IKEA, was tortured by those morons for a couple of hours, but ultimately ended up with a nice compact laptop desk along with a small but comfortable chair. Now I can spend more time here smoking pipe and still get some work done.

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That is how you do it, Mark!

The wife delegated my study as the place to smoke her cigars and frowns upon smoking them anywhere else. So I agreed with this but drew line with my pipe smoking. Granted I typically hang out in my den but the pipe smoke goes where I go in the rest of the house, happily puffing away.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  43. sparrowhawk

sparrowhawk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Big Pond and others, you might find this anecdote interesting. A few years so, for $50, I was asked to participate in a study on smoking. For perhaps three weeks I submitted to a modest examination. Then the study, sponsored by a major university, suddenly ended. Why? They weren't getting the results they expected and wanted, namely they couldn't find enough significant health damage among the smoking group. The study threatened to be politically incorrect.

There is no beauty without some strangeness in proportion.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  44. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know. It's a fault.
    Folks complaining about the smell of stale smoke are some of the same people who love a well manicured yard, but hate the noise of the mower, love fishing but refuse to clean them, watch NASCAR with the sound off because, "It's too loud!", enjoys a good riot but detests the gas or getting shot, spends big bucks for front row seating and then complains because the boxers' sweat got all over him.

Amen Warren

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I turned the third bay of a 3 car garage into a smoking room. Walled it off with insulation, installed a gas heater and AC unit, a 55" flat screen and comfortable chairs including a recliner for me. Yesterday, I made a trip to IKEA, was tortured by those morons for a couple of hours, but ultimately ended up with a nice compact laptop desk along with a small but comfortable chair. Now I can spend more time here smoking pipe and still get some work done.

Yeah, I had to quote the whole thing Hoosier! Strong work. If I had a three car garage I guarantee I would do the same. Dedication! Enjoy those Larryson pipes in your cave my friend.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. slowroll

slowroll

Login to Send PM

Well, i know this doesn't answer the original question, but, I'm not selling the house until my heirs do, so I smoke all over in every room. BTW, I once had a Winnebago that I smoked pipes and cigars in. I just fumigated it with beaucoup sprays of Zep odor eliminater and no one who looked at ever commented, and it sold quickly.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Or. buying a house situated between a cow field and a shooting range, then bitching about the sound and smell...

Sorry, rant off. My exhaust fan runs from the time I light up in the afternoon until about 15 minutes after my last smoke of the day. There is minimal smell when I get up in the morning in that room and nowhere else in the house.

Diligent ash policing is at least equally as important as smoke management. I tap my ash and dottle into a small glass that stays covered and is emptied into a ziplock bag regularly when cooled. In case you fellows were wondering what to do with all of the ziplocks from tobacco samples and pipe cleaners, keep them near the trash can for ash and dottle enclosure.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. skeeter456

skeeter456

Login to Send PM

Over the kitchen stove with the range hood running

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

folonator, thanks for that link on the exhaust fan. I believe it's a "Hyper" or something along those lines. Was developed for the folks in the "Grower" community to move air in their "grow" rooms.

it is very powerfull, can move over 1,000 cfm and is very quiet.

I will probably replace my pansonic unit with this in the next year or so. I believe it's only $100 -$150 or so.

One other note on keeping the mancave from smelling like stale cigars and pipe tobacco is to empty the ashtrays & trash cans frequently, as well as vacuuming the area rug.

I do this weekly and then spritz the rug with fabreeze, keeps the room smelling more like a brick n mortar (new unsmoked tobacco), vs a dirty stale ashtray.

just my $0.02
    ymmv

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke sitting next to my kitchen window with a window fan in it. When I’m done smoking I just take the fan out. The window happens to be at the same level as my head when I’m sitting, so it works perfectly. I’ve never had any lingering smoke odor in the house.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Inline vent fans. I posted pictures and diagrams a couple of years ago of setting up mine. No noise, huge power that draws out all of the air in the room every five minutes, and with just an adjustable rheostat switch on the wall. We just don’t run it in summer or winter because it pulls all of cold or warm air out of the house. But, on movie nights, it helps us see the TV without being clouded with smoke. All in all, I don’t think I’ve ever met a pipe smoker who didn’t like the smell of the smoke. It’s just a part of the hobby. And, if setting at The Briary, you will always hear someone walking in remarking on how awesome all of the cigar and pipesmoke smells. I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say, “Ewww, smelly smoke,” when walking in. Usually people who don’t like the smell of smoke go into flower arranging or potpouri making as a hobby... I would think.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in an enclosed back porch and my wife will come home and she'll comment how nice it smells...not nice enough to let me smoke in the house though. If it's really hot out I will smoke in our unfinished basement.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   odobenus, craig61a, disinformatique