PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I smoke inside in the winter. Usually in the kitchen, open some windows, sit a fan in the window on high. Put some towels over the air vents. Cook some bacon And fry some chicken and the smell usually disappears. To me! But hey, probably not to the non smoker. My grandfather lived in the house and smoke cigars. Sometimes I can still smell him.

GBD lover

Lurker
Nov 2, 2019
Ive smoked in my house alot over the past couple years and have had ppl over the next day after smoking the night before and have never had anyone notice a smoke smell. I smoke english blends 90% of the time too. Cigars and cigs are another story however!!! With pipes ive found just light a candle.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I smoke in the finished attic where my office is or out on the deck during off-hours when the weather is nice. The attic airs out for the five months of the year when the windows are always open, with fans going 24-7. During the winter, I crack a sky light when the smoke brings visibility down to less than 3 feet, provided the outdoor temp is above zero degrees farenheit. The natural draftiness of a rickety 110+-year-old house helps too. In early October, it doesn't smell up here, but in late April, yeah, there's a little bit of odor. Never got suckered by all that home-ownership nonsense, so I couldn't care less about the house's value. The whole place will have to be gutted at some point anyway, so the landlady doesn't care either.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Honestly? I've got my smoking room, which has a TON of plants in it. Lots of sunlight so that's where most of them end up. The plants act as a natural air filtration unit. I even went and found a list of plants that are better at air purification and added some more of them. It is amazing what they can do over time. Just a thought, for something you might want to try. YMMV depending on your space and where you live, but I love plants and having living things around me year round.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
My office is my smoking room. It's on the leeward side of the house, so 95% of the time the house wants to draft through it. I have the window fan linked below, which is awesome. My house is so tight, the fan acts as my ERV, so I don't mind running it all winter. The 5% of the time the wind spins around and blows more than 8-10 mph, The fan works too hard to overcome the pressure differential, and I worry about the bearings. My biggest issue is that when my office door is closed, the fan needs more inlet air, and the fan sounds louder.

To do it again, I would make a ceiling HVAC vent and a large inline fan with variable speed control to exhaust outside. Something 3 times as powerful as any bathroom vent fan. I'd want to turn the whole room air over every 3-5 minutes.

The smoke residual clings to stuff, so it's not perfect. That's why it has to be a smoking room. I haven't tried a HEPA filter or an ozone generator. I bought an ozone generator, but never tried it. It's my room anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AGZUMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1#

Reactions: addamsruspipe

gatorlope

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I smoke in an enclosed back porch and my wife will come home and she'll comment how nice it smells...not nice enough to let me smoke in the house though. If it's really hot out I will smoke in our unfinished basement.
I smoke in the garage, the barn, the reloading shed but not in the house very often. Happy wife, happy life.
the reloading shed? I imagine that some black powder could be very efficient in clearing out tobacco odors! :LOL:

Reactions: addamsruspipe

WebsterDitty

Lurker
Nov 8, 2019
Michigan
Well, my alias is 'wind-chaser'. There are 2 rooms that I usually smoke in our apartment depending on the direction of the wind. If it is a north-east wind I am in the kitchen sitting nearby the window, if south-west wind then I am in the other room. Air current works miracles, it instantly carries the smoke away. Taking its advantage I can even smoke a cigar in the kitchen while watching my favorite TV series. Unfortunately, this activity can be done only in a good weather condition. Another reason to hate winters.
“Air current works miracles, it instantly carries the smoke away.

Understanding the natural cross ventilation properties of at least two opened windows (opened three to four inches) and towels placed underneath closed doors of rooms that disrupt this wonderful current works miracles.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I keep telling my wife that when the daughter moves out, in 12 years, that I'm going to start smoking inside. She keeps telling me no, but she will eventually give in. Atleast one room ...

Heh, that's exactly I say, but it'll be in 16 years at the earliest...

On topic, I smoke inside my room only when my wife and kids are visiting my in-laws for extended time (ie 7-10 days or more). Honestly that's the only time I REALLY enjoy it.

Smoking in the balcony is just crap: I am rushing, I am cold in the winter, I need to just do that (no book, drink, watching something) - just not comfortable. Besides I have had the opinion for many years that smoking outside takes away a good 30-50% of the flavour of what you're smoking.

Reactions: artvandelay007

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
This is smoking on my hotel balcony a couple of years ago...

...overlooking the Acropolis and listening to the Greek musicians in the street below.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
At home, the outdoor experience is enhanced by a breezy spot in the shade and having a little target practice with any lizards that are so unwise as to get within spitting range! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.