Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Are certain tobaccos better suited for a bulldog pipe? Or do all types smoke equally well in the bulldog type pipe? I am pondering a bid on a ebay bulldog in the next few hours since I do not have that style yet.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
I have never burned any type of flakes yet just Frog Morton, McClelland 5110, PS Balkan Supreme along with 1Q and a few other aro's. Would it do well with any of those?

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I'd say bulldogs are pretty much good general purpose pipes. The thick walls make it a cool smoke with almost any blend.

thomc80

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2010
Bulldog and rhodesians are my favorite pipe style. Love the way they look. And the thicker walls do indeed make or a cool smoke.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I smoke what I like or in the case of one and only Bulldog, Bulk tobaccos.

Because the bowl is massive. It seems I can put a half an ounce in it.

iowamike

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2010
I love Frog Morton in my peterson bull dog. Plus it looks like you could crack walnuts with it(Heavy Duty).

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, Bulldogs are really great looking pipes. Thats a good question, i've been looking to get my hands on one myself. Some of those bent bulldogs look pretty amazing. Though to me they seem like they tend to have smaller bowls?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Not all of 'em Johnny,
DSCF4022.jpg

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
The Bulldog is a great shape. I've not dedicated any of them

in my modest collection. The smaller ones I tend to smoke Flake

cuts in, but they perform just as well with any cut I burn in them.

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Just becauce it's a bulldog does not mean it smokes any different that other similar shapes.
Here's one for you. When making a pipe what is the only standard English shape pipe that can not be shaped by hand. Answer, bulldog.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah, that looks like a nice long smoke for that one! I guess it can be hard to tell size with pictures on the web and things. Beautiful pipe. I just assumed they tended to be smaller.

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I do agree that bulldogs, rhodesians and all matings of the two are some of the prettiest pipes ever....and I think you can smoke any given tobacco in any given pipe....(but any single pipe may have its favorite tobacco ).... :D

searock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2010
Castello... and other makers, have made some interesting variations on the standard bulldog. If you go to Google, select images, and type in "Castello bulldog", you'll see some cool pipes... and cute dogs too!
I have 2 Castello bulldogs. One is a straight with a military bit from 1963 and the other is a somewhat large bent with a saddle bit. Both are black searocks. When I was in the pipe biz I sold quite a few others, they were very popular and went fast.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Bulldog pipes are my favorite! I love the way they look and (to me) they are always great smokers! I don't treat my bulldogts any different than I treat my other pipes, smoke what you want in what you want.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
The majority of the antique pipes I own are bulldogs. Seems to have been the most popular shape at the turn of the century.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
A bulldog pipe is all about development of a bulldog attitude. There's something comforting about seeing a quiet old guy on a cold afternoon with his fist wrapped around a chunky bulldog pipe. I especially like it now that I'm the quiet old guy. ;)

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I am a fan of the bulldog shape myself and have found you can smoke anything you like in one (much like most other pipes).
My favorite bulldog is my Nording
Nording01.jpg

Ok, not a true bulldog, but a variation.

Status
Not open for further replies.